David Bowie - New Live/Documentary Movie "Moonage Daydream"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EfWe, Nov 18, 2021.

1. kilianltia

kilianltia Well-Known Member

"Music by David Bowie"

Has the piece played in the trailer ever been featured before? Does anyone know where it came from? Or is there the possibility that we may see some unreleased instrumental Bowie?

2. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

longdist01 likes this.
  3. Beechlander

Beechlander Forum Resident

Great trailer. Looking forward to this. I haven't been to the cinema for about 15 years - this could entice me back.

supernaut and RickA like this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

After Get Back I’m realising life’s too short to spend 6 hours watching any music documentary.

5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I'd say highly unlikely, sounds more like some notes to emphasize drama from a Hollywood sound effects disc
    Yes the thread didn't have a fab©®ap yet

6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Very cool and exciting to see this on IMAX screens later this year...mindblowing the footage used and David's narration!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  7. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Apologies if this has been posted.

Gave me goosebumps head to toe:

johnnyyen, thekid87, RJPinCA and 13 others like this.
  8. Transience

Transience Forum Resident

Looking forward to seeing this.

MicSmith and thxphotog like this.
  9. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks for the post. I want this! I'm there as soon as it hits the theatres.

thxphotog and srsch like this.
  10. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

This looks fantastic!

thxphotog likes this.
  11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Morgen's doing heavy press, as one does at Cannes. A funny quote from his interview with the Daily Telegraph:

How to salvage anything from the naff staging of the 1983 Serious Moonlight tour? “The secret was getting rid of the background dancers.”

Also:

With a belter of a sound mix Morgen admits is “a little out of control” . . .

“I will say this – and this will be of some significance for Bowie fans. I made a decision, partly because of IMAX and the need for high-end visuals, that I could not use performances unless I had the camera outs [ie, the complete footage from all cameras]."

carrick doone likes this.
  12. mopper

mopper I hang out in record stores

I for one could do without any footage of the Serious Moonlight tour. I put my Bowie habit on hold for couple of years when he released Let's Dance. A friend bought me a copy of Outside and then I came back.

13. Aladdin Sane

Aladdin Sane Forum Resident

Hope to see some Diamond Dogs footage.

Glenn coates and Jimmy Jam like this.
  14. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

How many hours would this have to be to take a deep dive into every Bowie persona?

15. Jimmy Jam

Jimmy Jam Forum Resident

Trailer looks great.....and delighted to see what must finally be some of the footage shot at the London gigs in 78!

johnnyyen and aphexj like this.
  16. drsmuts

drsmuts Forum Resident

Looks good...and some of the 78 film is included! Hope this means it's finally coming out.

17. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Beautiful trailer

thxphotog and carrick doone like this.
  18. damien

damien Forum Resident

Jeez this is going to be fantastic i can feel it.

Chrome_Head and longdist01 like this.
  19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Damn. I can't see how this won't be a need yardstick to be measured against for music docs. I go hot and cold on Bowie over his career, but I want to see all of this!

carrick doone and longdist01 like this.
  20. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

I hope so........

21. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

thxphotog likes this.
  22. The only film in a long, long while that will get me into a theater again. This looks and sounds dreamy! :agree:

Chrome_Head and longdist01 like this.
  23. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Five Years seems like the appropriate length to work on a Bowie film.

24. Caruso65

Caruso65 Forum Resident

I wonder if there will be a soundtrack, maybe live tracks throughout his career?

25. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

“I will say this – and this will be of some significance for Bowie fans. I made a decision, partly because of IMAX and the need for high-end visuals, that I could not use performances unless I had the camera outs [ie, the complete footage from all cameras]. That’s why Starman is not in the film, because I would be taking a clip from a TV show.” It’s also why there’s nothing, say, from Bowie’s 2000 Glastonbury set. “Because Glastonbury won’t license the original footage! I’m a filmmaker – I have to make it my own.”

There are whole shows Morgen has had the great privilege of sitting through, alone, at his editing suite, including the legendary Diamond Dogs tour from 1974, and its follow-up, the so-called Soul Tour, when Bowie threw away his set-list and went back on the road. “I had no idea there was any footage in existence. And all of a sudden I’m watching this, and thinking, ‘How long is this going to go on?!’”

The quality hasn’t always met the threshold for these performances to make the cut, though sections have. (Devotees will probably want to keep their eyes peeled when Rock ‘n’ Roll with Me comes on.) How to salvage anything from the naff staging of the 1983 Serious Moonlight tour? “The secret was getting rid of the background dancers.”

Azorbz, supernaut, jhm and 3 others like this.