David Bowie - New Live/Documentary Movie "Moonage Daydream"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EfWe, Nov 18, 2021.

1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Just come from a second viewing. It needs editing and then 2 more sequels: 84-93 & 94-03. With a different director.

2. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Funny, this was almost exactly how I felt about the new Elvis movie, even if others actually expressed that particular sentiment more directly: :D
    "Elvis" (2022) - Baz Luhrmann Film Reviews/Discussion! | Page 168 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Looks like I'll be passing on Moonage Daydream before it comes to home video. Until then, I've got a plethora of Bowie records, CDs, and YouTube videos to enjoy:
    Collecting David Bowie | Page 13 | Steve Hoffman Music Forums
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts! :targettiphat:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Purple Jim likes this.
  3. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

There's still Finding Fame, Five Years and The Last Five Years for the more traditional of you. :)

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think "Elvis" should have been 2 x 2 hour movies, or even a trilogy of movies.

Chris M likes this.
  5. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Box office news for the USA:

David Bowie's sound and vision explosion, MOONAGE DAYDREAM, expanded into 733 venues this weekend, tapping into another $922k (-25%), $2.6M total.

That's a fantastic voyage for a documentary in theaters these days.

Azorbz and Tanx like this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

How a bout a prequel too: 1964 to 1972!

7. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Documentary, Music (Sorted by US Box Office Descending) - IMDb not really

8. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Can you describe this Lift Off clip in more detail? It being the holy grail of finds.

9. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I agree with her.

10. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Yacht Rock Bowie? Nein danke, Herr Kapitan.

11. Bowie Fett

aphexj and TonyCzar like this.
  12. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

"My Death" has since been disccovered though - it was featured in the Five Years documentary although we only saw an extract from it - I'd dearly love to see the complete performance. I'm very curious about the Lift Off With Ayshea clip though! I'd be amazed to see a clip from this performance and would be furious we only got to see a few seconds lol!

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But IIRC, the film intercut Glass Spider footage with the Pepsi commercial and other "sell-out-ish" material.

If that memory stands... c'mon. Judgment Call City!

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

When you distill all of David's verbiage through the movie, it basically boils down to "Now I know the choice is mine."

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Max Florian likes this.
  15. Azorbz

Azorbz Forum Resident

When Morgen was asked on Twitter if the Earl's Court shows would get a separate release, he simply responded with the eyes emoji. It seems like it might be coming.

16. Bowie Fett

He also stated that both shows were filmed with 6 cameras and 24-track audio.

Azorbz likes this.
  17. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

I wonder how the estate will try to upsell whatever unreleased filmed footage there is? This film is acting as a teaser, obviously. We may at last find out which gigs are complete. I’m not holding my breath tbh.

Patrol likes this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Someone has already quoted Morgen saying that he told the estate there was nothing complete from 1974 or 1976. "Complete" has it charms, but it can be overrated. I'll take forty minutes of something well-preserved and be very happy, thangyewverymuch. (Just the right length for a Blu-Ray extra!)

Oatsdad, Fabrice Outside and Azorbz like this.
  19. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Got to finally watch the film last night - not in an Imax Theatre unfortunately but on a smaller regular screen.
    Really enjoyed it, the 140 minutes flew by, could have sat through another half hour easily.
    It's certainly not for everyone, but it clearly is a labour of love - can't even imagine the amount of time they must have spent editing picture and sound.
    I was with two female friends, one of whom didn't know any Bowie songs (!), and they both loved it.
    I'll certainly try to watch it again on a big screen if I get the chance!
    And then buy the BluRay [​IMG]
    It'll be fun to pick out all the little references.

20. Patrol

Patrol Forum Resident

When I was a teenager in the early 1980s my CND supporting grandmother (I miss those days!) took me to see a private showing of the movie The War Game at a small venue. The audience comprised mainly average 70 years old communist peace protesters. The volume was almost unbearably ear splittingly loud. Presumably they thought a lot of the audience would have hearing problems. Moonage Daydream in the IMAX was not quite on that scale, but getting there.

Max Florian and TonyCzar like this.
  21. Patrol

Patrol Forum Resident

I think we can guarantee the work done on the archive for this movie will be scoured for real worthy audio ideas.

22. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

23. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

TonyCzar likes this.
  24. Patrol

Patrol Forum Resident

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Like any long strange trip, it felt a lot shorter 2nd time. Also, I found that having closed captioning helped dull the annoyance factor. It was like bringing something to read during the boring bits.