David Bowie - New Live/Documentary Movie "Moonage Daydream"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EfWe, Nov 18, 2021.

1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

2. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

That sounds like GLASS SPIDER, not SERIOUS MOONLIGHT. SM didn't have dancers that I recall.

3. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

Can hardly wait.

supernaut likes this.
  4. Frankie_Collector

Frankie_Collector Bowie nut extraordinaire

George and Frank Simms danced on stage during the songs. One would assume the director spent enough time with the material not to confuse the tours!

5. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

But they were backing vocalists. GS had a full dance troupe.

supernaut likes this.
  6. Frankie_Collector

I'm well aware.

7. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I'm still waiting for an official 1980 Floor Show. And a non bricked pre-FM Santa Monica

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Why do you want to pay for what is freely available online?

9. moomoomoomoo

Higher quality, done by professionals. I have 4 versions of Santa Monica (promo which is grainy to my ears), Defries (Which I believe is ab FM B-Cast), and EMI cd & EMI 24 bit (Really compressed), & I have numerous audio & video copies of 1980; but non of them have been touched by a professional. They have gotten better sounding in the digital age, but they could be improved.

I still don't feel they've even gotten the Ziggy film right from an audio sq pov.

Azorbz, hi_watt, bluedemon25 and 3 others like this.
  10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

A professional of whose work you approve, you mean?

11. moomoomoomoo

That should be obvious, lol!

Fabrice Outside likes this.
  12. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

:laugh:

13. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Yep, this will do it!

14. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Ooh, looks like they found the film rushes for the music video of Jump! (The shot of DB walking down a hallway while wearing a blue suit). Maybe that video can be rebuilt in better quality now.

15. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

One to see at an imax, looking forward..

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

As I suspected, the 78 footage is the most enticing. I'm not sure Bowie ever looked cooler before or after.

17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Me too, hopefully they can find proper tapes: 25 Years Ago Part 6 — JEFF ROUGVIE

Some tapes were in very rough shape. The 2 inch 16-track unmixed masters for the “1980 Floor Show” were falling apart in our hands. Recording tape in the 70’s was a thin piece of plastic coated in ferric oxide, which electronically transcribed recordings with a very high level of fidelity. But, if improperly stored, the fragile tapes start to break down. The oxide loses hold of the plastic and starts to “shred”. It was terrifying to open a box and see little bits of dark tape fall out.

Edit:

There are sometimes ways to rescue these tapes. At the time, one of newest developments was baking the tapes. This is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. You have to very carefully put the failing tapes into an oven, and hope the shredding oxide cooks itself back onto the plastic. It sometimes works with great results. Other times, the materials are just too far gone and can’t be saved. Such was the case with “1980 Floor Show”.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  18. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

19. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

20. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

My impression, just from the comments of the director and the brief trailer, is that this appears to be a film for Bowie fans. If it attracts new fans it's because something in the film drew them to the man and his music. For some of the fanbase, the film can never go far enough. "There were clips from Serious Moonlight! I hate Serious Moonlight!" "I stopped listening after Lodger and the film should have ended there too." "What? No interviews with Toni Basil??" I can hear the complaints already.

Best case for me is I walk away from it thinking that the man himself would approved. That it shows you something new in a way that only Bowie could present it. This is not his life story. We're not going to learn if he was moody after he gave up smoking or what kind of health problems he experienced in the years between his heart attack and The Next Day came out. But if done right we will be entertained and never bored by it.

Bink likes this.
  21. Frankie_Collector

22. jacden

jacden Senior Member

23. jacden

jacden Senior Member

24. jacden

jacden Senior Member

25. Liquid77

Liquid77 Forum Resident

Man, those reviews are the worst. Sound or image quality would be appreciated at least.