David Bowie on CD: Ahhhggggg!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark f., Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

EMI-Capitol reissued Ryko CDs (at least Pin-Ups and David Live) in the US after Ryko lost the catalogue. I suspect they may be the same as the last Ryko aluminium CD releases (which may mean that Low EMI is the same as the gold CD).

rock76 likes this.
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The only consensus is that

The Man Who Sold...
    Pinups

are good.

You are settled with your SO (the 2015 has tape problems) and HD. But if you like the sound of the AS remaster you can pick up HD I guess.

3. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

OK - thanks. I guess I'll pick them up when they're back in stock....I'm hoping that TMWSTW will bring some kind of revelation. It's the only Bowie RCA studio album that I never got into. I was obsessed with all the other RCAs in the early 80s but never picked this up until the early 90s for some reason (possibly because it was OOP for a long time) and it's the only one I don't know all the words to:)

4. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

It will, the bass has a nice fat full feel to it and really brings the album to life.

mdm08033 likes this.
  5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

" Guess they could sound worse " , how so ?

" great mastering becomes much more pronounced in a hi-end component system" thats not to say crappy masterings sound worse.

6. Natcat

Natcat Forum Resident

Amazon (UK) were selling the 40th anniversary of Space Oddly a few weeks back for £12 new with Prime delivery, which I took a chance on. I finally had a good sit down with it today and was pleasantly surprised by not only the packaging, but also the audio quality. I also really enjoyed the second disc and look forward to listening again.

I would rate the whole package as better than the 1990 EMI, 1999 remasters and the 2015 (tape problems) and there's some great stuff on disc 2.

Plan9 and PhantomStranger like this.
  7. They did a very nice job with that deluxe Space Oddity set, probably their best Bowie reissue of the past decade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.