David Bowie "Station To Station" Special Edition (2010)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

Thanks for posting pics! That Deluxe looks incredible! I better start saving for it now...

2. gohill

gohill Senior Member

That deluxe edition looks fantastic, much better value that the latest Stones Exile rip off.

I am wondering if the DVD mixes of Station To Station are just 4 versions of the title track or four different mixes of the whole album on the dual dvd layers. 4 separate dedicated mixes of this album would definately fit on a DVD with no real video content except the menu screen.

Probably just the title track but you never know

3. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Oh god this is going to be awesome.

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

No, I am sure it will be the whole album in different mixes, as they have done with some previous Bowie reissues.

5. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Huh. Well, I'll probably just get the 3CD edition, unless the 9-disc super-duper edition is "reasonably" priced. This really looks like something I'd only ever pull out to play the live discs anyway - I'm probably gonna stick with the Au20 for the album proper and I have zero interest in all the multiple alternate mixes or single edits. But I gotta grant them bonus points for mastering the LPs form the analog master and not just copying it from the CD.

If that "1985" CD master is the RCA disc, I gotta wonder if it's the Japan-for-US version or the W German-for-UK version.

Sebastich likes this.
  6. Bill Sherbon

Bill Sherbon Forum Resident

Thanks windfall, I've been looking forward to this one in 5.1. I'm kind of disappointed the 5.1 is only on the super deluxe version.

BTW, from that link it looks like the release date is currently planned for September 20th

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Good lord that's massive!

8. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

That's really impressive!

9. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

10. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I was really looking forward to this but it is probably going to be totally priced out of my league. There are only six songs on sts. Talk about milking them dry.

11. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

This release must satisfy even the most die-hard fan!

12. Colocally

The edit was done for a French promo single. It starts at the once there was mountains part and continues to the end.

13. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

wow, that is quite an effort! Original RCA cd too huh? Did they finally figure out that it sounds better than the master?

14. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

I wish they would release the overstuffed box without the LPs. Or two different editions (CD and vinyl) with all the extras. As it stands, this is really a choice between too much or not enough. I don't really need the LPs, but I won't want to miss the additional material. I wonder how much it will cost? I guess I'm in for another "Beatles mono box"-like splurge.

15. I Am The Lolrus

I just noticed that the DVD has a lot more than expected, it has 24/96 of the original stereo master, the 24/96 of the new 5.1 mix, and 24/48 of a new stereo mix.

That is awesome! As long as it isn't brick-walled that could be really fantastic.

16. surfingelectrode

Well, we know for sure that the 1985 master isn't compressed.

17. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

Geez...quite a price gap...Special Edition for 15GBP vs. Super Deluxe for 87GBP. I know where my money's going...

18. surfingelectrode

~130USD is a great deal for 3LPs, 4CDs, a DVD and a ton of printed material.

This is going to be so much better than the super deluxe Exile on Main St. set.

19. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

Original RCA 1985 "brick-walled" stereo mix)))
    Juust kidding, but we can't say for sure will this be identical to RCA CD or tweaked somehow.
    And David Bowie is marketing genius, he proves this again.

If the quality of LPs (I really don't need them though) will be top and packaging quality of Box will be like Beatles Mono Box and the price of course..

One more thing that bothers me is mastering of the Nassau concert.

So, I won't place a preorder on this, but OMG this is gonna be awesome if they do it right

Cmon, just rerelease RCA CDs and I will be happy ))

Sebastich likes this.
  20. peter

peter Senior Member

Now THAT is how you do a re-issue!

Well done, Mr. B.

21. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

At last a Bowie re-issue done correctly (well, on paper at least!) - both sets look fantastic. I'm already saving for the deluxe - original RCA plus original mix in 24/96 - now THIS is reason to celebrate!

I wish they'd do all the albums like this, rather than an ad-hoc release here and there, but still - happy days :)

No sign of it for pre-order on Amazon (UK) yet, but I guess any day now?

22. Colocally

How many editions of the same album do you need in one box though? I'd have preferred a cd of early mixes and outtakes.

23. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

Low/Heroes Super Mega Deluxe Crazy Price Limited LP/CD/DVD/Bluray Boxset larger than life))

24. I Am The Lolrus

that was my thought too hah, this one will be testing the waters for the next big reissue.

25. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

P.S. Nice to see them using DVD and including a 24/96 high-res version of the album. WHY the heck record companies havent done this en-masse is simply beyond me. The user base is ALREADY there i.e. anyone that owns a semi-decent DVD player. No need for Blu-Ray or SACD or (and somewhat confusingly) DVD-Audio. Just a regular DVD containing high quality music.

I hope this sells very well indeed so they consider future releases like this. This should have all happened at least 10 years back now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.