David Bowie - Toy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Listening to The London Boys
    Both versions are superb ( cd1 and cd2 )

stef1205, The Cat 3, aphexj and 4 others like this.
  2. saw119

saw119 Forum Resident

That song in particular really shines in all three of it's incarnations on this set. It's been something of a revelation.

3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Loving everything about this set, it's exceeded my expectations. All versions are distinct, all reveal something different within the songs, and the third disc is so pretty it's impossible to resist. I'll admit I had misgivings about the approach (on that third disc especially) but the whole set is wonderful, been playing it all week.

anth67, timnor, stef1205 and 9 others like this.
  4. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

On a side note, I find CD1 (all Plati mixes if I'm not mistaken) a much better listen soundwise compared to CD2 (mostly TV's job)

The sound is much clearer and open

5. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

I don't know what the problem is?
    Great 10" box set of a great album with great cover art.

6. Christobal

Christobal Forum Resident

Gotta say how surprised I am at how much I am LOVING these songs!! When I became a Bowie fan in the early 80's and started picking up his back catalog, I was duped into buying a comp of his 60's material and couldn't even make it through the entire LP. I couldn't imagine how this project, which I haven't heard of until the BA box was announced, could be anything but another waste. Boy, was I wrong. This is a new and fun DB album for me and I am having a hard time getting some of the songs out of my head. What a pleasant and unexpected treat!

7. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

Just heard that toy is now finally a part of the official UK album chart debuting at number 5 and at number 1 for purely physical album chart uk sales. Pretty decent considering how much they cost.

8. fuzzyste

fuzzyste Well-Known Member

Ooft, really?! Outside is one of his best albums...

stef1205, The Cat 3 and Markyp like this.
  9. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

I think you need a hearing test. It's dreadful.

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The Buddha of Suburbia is dreadful. Toy is wonderful.

11. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Yes. The thing that initially drew me to the Toy material - like hearing "Can't Help Thinking About Me" on VH1 Storytellers when it was first broadcast, and hearing "You've Got a Habit of Leaving Me" and "Conversation Piece" turn up as b-sides a few years later - was hearing Bowie, the experienced songwriter and arranger, take a second pass at material he'd first recorded when his skills weren't so well-honed (especially in the arrangement department). But, it turns out, when you take some of those early Bowie compositions and treat them like "classic" Bowie material - with much more assured vocals, experienced musicians versed in Bowie's catalog, tight arrangements, proper mixing etc - they really shine through. That's not to say that "Baby Loves That Way" or "I Dig Everything" will ever be "Heroes" or "Young Americans" or even "Conversation Piece". But it does demonstrate, at least for me, that there was a ton of artistic value and promise in some of DB's earliest, most lightweight material... even if it took a few decades for him to prove it.

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yep. Don’t think those early TV mixes will get much play round mine.

13. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I warmed up to Buddah recently with the reissue, but yeah, it's not very good. Sex and the Church is awful, and the instrumentals are a little long, but some of the filler tracks shine more with the reissue in my opinion (but it could just be giving it a new listen and awareness). I do love Toy...all mixes of it are cool.

croquetlawns and Curveboy like this.
  14. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Forum Resident

I really love Dead Against It. Not very keen on many of the other tracks, but I need to listen to it more (first listen was with the BA reissue).

15. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I think some of them sounded good : I got to hear on vinyl it Was good and on Russian cd absolutely horrifying.
    Must depend on the bootlegger.

I agree with Paul : when you are used with listening this album, uncle Floyd seems missing.
    But what a treat hearing disc 2 and disc 3 !
    We, Bowie fans, are spoiled.

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Nice Shadow Man performance @ the Cutting Room NY Jan 8, by: Gail Ann Dorsey - vocals, Henry Hey - keyboard, Mark Plati - acoustic guitar, Gerry Leonard - guitar, Tim Lefebvre - bass, Everett Bradley - backing vocals

17. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

So far I could resist buying the Toy:Box but spent a bit of time with CD 2 & 3 on streaming platforms and my 12“ Toy album from the Brilliant Adventure boxset.

1. I like the official album with the Mark Plati mix from my Brilliant Adventure set the most. The album sequenz makes the most sense to me and the mix is tastefully done. I like Platis approach to balance everything and not pushing Bowies vocals too much forward.

2. The mixes on CD2 are actually quite different then on the main album but not different enough to make me buy the boxset.

Really like this version of In the Heat of the morning and miss it on the main album.

Not a fan of the string arrangements - I don‘t know why but they feel unnecessary to me.
    BTW: Is the tracklist on CD2 sorted by the year, the original songs were written?

3. The mix on CD3 doesn‘t do much for me. Its a bit of a novelty and surely a nice extra but I don‘t think that much effort was spent to produce this mix.

4. My favorite tracks are The London Boys and I dig everything - but the best version of these songs can be found on the BBC2000 live-album.

surfling, Neonbeam, gamuzajoe and 2 others like this.
  18. Oogie

Oogie Forum Resident

Totally disagree.
    Sex and the church is my favourite off buddha. Such a great groove to it.

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

In a local store today. A woman comes in: "Do you have the new Bowie album?" "You mean the 'Toy' 10" boxset?" "Yes!"

I don't know what I was expecting but I was amazed when she purchased the thing without even batting an eyelid. She must have been aware that this toy would come at a price.

Now I'm wondering: Did she buy this for herself? As a gift? Nice!

croquetlawns and gamuzajoe like this.
  20. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Don't you think there's a reason that you just happened to be there watching someone else buy it?

C'mon, Neonbeam, pull the trigger, you know you want to.

Neonbeam likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

It was the last copy..... :mudscrying:

Of course you are right. I almost drove past another store that has around eleven boxes left but I thought this could be a nice treat for a Monday! :whistle:

Groovy and footprintsinthesand like this.
  22. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Oh, they'll probably be gone by Monday, but have a good weekend.

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. Neonbeam

You work for Warners? :biglaugh:

Groovy likes this.
  24. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

25. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Exactly my thoughts

Curveboy likes this.