David Bowie - Toy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Django216

Django216 Forum Resident

No

2. Yeah, no.

3. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Go on, admit it - you've never forgiven him for not hiring Mr Cusano to widdley-widdle all over these albums, have you?

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Have to disagree, both are excellent albums, Buddha is one of my personal favorites of his. Different strokes and all that.

5. Bilbo Swaggins

Bilbo Swaggins Forum Resident

Finally got round to listening to this properly today and really enjoyed it. I love Karma Man, it’s definitely the highlight of the album for me.

6. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Hmmmm.... Enjoyed this, but not quite as much as hoped. I don't love the way the music was produced and mixed. Bowie's voice sounds brittle, there is also occasionally processing on his voice that is grating to me. I can't quite figure out what it is... Everything sounds contained and rather safe/homogeneous. A generous slathering of reverb on most things, even the acoustic songs. It doesn't sound especially bad, but it's not an inspired presentation of the music.
    These are not necessarily top drawer songs (they sat on a shelf for decades), but still very enjoyable and better than a large sum of later period Bowie. Especially like the more sombre/contemplative/etherial music, Shadow Man was an instant favourite. Karma Man and Conversation Piece were early favourites as well.

Really like what the women bring to this. Great vocals/hooks and especially like the subtle violin of Lisa Gerrard. Always love what Mike G brings and wish he was a little more present. Bowie's singing is quite lovely on Toy as well. Have only listened to the 6 songs of record one and three of the unplugged, so lots to go. A real gift for Bowie fans.

Oh, there's some beautiful music on Buddha of Suburbia. I look forward to having a vinyl copy.

croquetlawns likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That would be very interesting indeed. :whistle:

Erick Haight and muzzer like this.
  8. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just to clarify, violin was played by Lisa Germano, not Lisa Gerrard.

9. petzmark

petzmark Forum Resident

Unlike some here, I never heard the leaked versions so, other than the live performances from BBC, Toy is new to me. This batch of songs didn't grab me at first, but the whole set is growing on me with each listen. There are earworms to be had.

I ended up buying the 10" set and I think Side 11, alone, is worth the price of admission. The perfect version is definitely a mix of the acoustic-ish, Mark Plati's, and a couple of the alternative mixes. I have yet to settle on which.

10. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Agreed. I've taken a couple passes through the entire box, and now my fellow Michigander makes me want to sit down and playlist my fave takes of each track. Anyone like to share theirs to get it started?

pobbard likes this.
  11. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

The London Boys
    You've got a habit of
    Conversation Piece
    Let me sleep
    Silly boy blue
    Liza jane
    In the Heat of the morning

12. Fabrice Outside

What's on side 11 ? :shh:

13. petzmark

petzmark Forum Resident

Shadow Man (Unplugged & somewhat slightly electric mix) I prefer the full Plati mix of this one.
    Let Me Sleep Beside You (Unplugged & somewhat slightly electric mix)
    Hole In The Ground (Unplugged & somewhat slightly electric mix)
    Baby Loves That Way (Unplugged & somewhat slightly electric mix)

croquetlawns and Fabrice Outside like this.
  14. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I think @Erick Haight was referring to specific versions.

Erick Haight likes this.
  15. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Can you elaborate on what a 'widdley-widdle', is? Asking for a friend.

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Maybe if he had Reeves (second only to Vinnie Vincent as a great noise maker) more involved both albums would be much, much better.

17. Fabrice Outside

I think you're right.

In the absence of official original Toy track listing, I think we'll have to think of what's the smoothest track order we can come up with.
    Once that's done, I will ask myself which version of which song fits the best.

Hope some posters will come up with their best option...

18. Beechlander

Beechlander Forum Resident

Having listened to it a few times as part of the BA box I'm still convinced on the merits of Toy and (sorry DB) can see why it was shelved by the record company at the time. After the disappointment of hours I think this would have sealed a really quite rotten period for me especially after the highs of his experimental mid-90s stuff. It's fine as a historical curio and I will probably buy the CD box at some point but don't see this as a "proper" Bowie album.

19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Something best done in private.

— A friend

[​IMG]

20. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Looks like Sony's equivalent to Dolby Atmos. Since Apple has adopted Atmos Sony has little chance with this one but it may well be possible to convert from one to the other.

Tim

croquetlawns and Bink like this.
  21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

:laughup:

stepeanut likes this.
  22. mythnormadman

mythnormadman Someone has to smoke the sky

23. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

BTWN seems to me should have been more at home in the previous box.
    By a long chalk the worst of the albums in Brilliant Adventures

24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just finished another spin of "Toy" and it's really getting better and better. If the box wasn't 10" I'd be up for it. As it is I'm going to observe the market and... wait. Once they are drying up I might bite.

pobbard and croquetlawns like this.
  25. Jepsom

Jepsom Forum Resident

Nic Roeg (2018)
    D.A. Pennebaker (2019)
    Terry O`Neill (2019)
    Mick Rock (2021)
    Steve Schapiro (2022)

That`s gotta be a heckuva a photo session for Mr. B`s forthcoming heavenly-made films!