David Bowie - Toy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bink, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I prefer Heathen, and especially has better artwork.

scenescof and Eric_Generic like this.
  2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That artwork is one ugly Mutter, or maybe in this case : eight (seven 10" + one 12" BA) - with an optional #9 in March, not counting the cds and cassette :evil:

croquetlawns likes this.
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Huge thanks for this, @Bink :tiphat:

Still trying to decide if I should go for the Toy:Box or not. Currently £27 on amazon. Has it been higher or lower than this? I forget what the pre-order figure was.

EG.

Oogie, croquetlawns and Bink like this.
  4. Bink

Bink Forum Resident Thread Starter

When the pre-order links appeared I think the price was around £24.99 IIRC.

It is quite pricey for 3 cds and maybe it will come down in price. Personally, I am very selective with what posthumous Bowie releases I get. For example, I haven't bought any of the era boxsets and only bought one of the Brilliant Live Adventure cds, but I was happy to buy this.

Eric_Generic and croquetlawns like this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yeah, 24.99 rings a bell. I might wait and see if there's a price drop. I have the Toy in the BA boxset for now.

EG.

croquetlawns and Bink like this.
  6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Absolutely. Both Bowie and the band sounds on fire.

7. MHP

Except for the 2 tracks, ‘Slip Away’ and ‘Afraid’, ‘Heathen’ has zero to do with TOY. ‘Slip Away’ was re-recorded from scratch. ‘Afraid’ was using the original track as basic, but then mixed more like the other tracks on ‘Heathen’.

Anyway, those 2 tracks was recorded during the end of the TOY sessions and evidence points towards that the tracks wasn’t going to be part of the album anyway.

Kundalini and Talmi K like this.
  8. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Yeah I agree my point was he decided to scrap Toy in favour of working on Heathen and I prefer it that way.

9. Bink

But he did of course complete the recording of Toy and he did talk about releasing the album as late as 2003. So it wasn't as if the release of Heathen meant that Toy was completely abandoned.

Kundalini, supernaut and croquetlawns like this.
  10. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

This. Worst cover ever too.

Fruff76, georgwithoutane and ralphb like this.
  11. MHP

Yes it will. The Brilliant Adventure press release stated that only the BBC concert and the Re:Call sets were ‘exclusive’.

People have then speculated that the ‘mainstream’ release outside Brilliant Adventure is the TOY:BOX, but as with all other Bowie releases from the last 5-6 years, the estate has mentioned every time something ‘might’ get released later on. For example the 1969 demos boxes. Every press release said something to the effect of ‘the recordings may be released as part of another release later’. People didn’t read it properly, ran out and bought the boxes, only to find they where released as part of the ‘Conversation Piece’ boxed set later on…
    To answer the question: The Brilliant Adventure press release doesn’t mark the ‘main album’ of TOY as an exclusive.
    I have no doubt it will be released in about 6 months, together with the main albums from that box.

I think it’s totally Bowie! Grimm, horrific, outrageous. This cover is by the man who gave us cover art such as ‘Lodger’ and ‘The Next Day’. Bowie knew how to stand out from all others!

12. MHP

Tony Visconti mixed many of the tracks, probably during the Heathen sessions for use as b-sides. It’s those appearing on disc 2 of the TOY:BOX.

supernaut, croquetlawns and muzzer like this.
  13. Bink

I agree. I know a lot of people hate the cover. I have even seen the word 'ugly' used to describe it. But is there a rule that album covers, or indeed any visual art, should be beautiful? Bowie was interesting in playing with ideas and this is very much in keeping with that aesthetic.

14. MHP

What version on Youtube?

Again, like it or not, it was Bowie’s own idea.

15. Terry

Terry Senior Member

What a great album

16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

There's been a 14 track version on there for years. It opens with "Uncle Floyd".

eelkiller likes this.
  17. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Yes indeed, got all those, that also suggests many of those recorded in 2000 weren’t finished at the time.

18. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Say, Oogie, ever wonder how all those tracks on the toy album would have turned out?

Colocally likes this.
  19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Two of them would go on Heathen.
    Some more would be B sides and bonus tracks.
    A few would just leak out here and there.

Some would just slip away……..

supernaut likes this.
  20. MHP

Be my guest, but you are asking for annotations. The Youtube versions are work-in-progress and not finished by any means. Low streaming quality too. It’s even more sporadic than what you are getting in the TOY:BOX. And Youtube has zero annotation to anything. I’m not quite sure what you want, but to me it seems you want liner-notes and recording information. Then you say you will listen to the Youtube version which doesn’t have that either and is unfinished. The TOY:BOX has at least nearly every single version of those recordings together, finished and mixed. Then the 2000/01 period mixes/versions as well as bonus. It doesn’t get more real than this.

21. zither

zither Forum Resident

I love the cover. It makes me smile.

22. MHP

They are all on the disc 2 of the new box set now. With the exception of the ‘alternate ending’ of ‘Silly Boy Blue’ which is only a streaming b-side (don’t know if it’s a Visconti mix or a new Mark Plati mix, but it is, as far as I know, a proposed 2000 version/mix).

23. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I like the use of green in the cover and in all the interior sleeves and photos and lining. The cover image itself is not meant to be liked but I feel that they did a good job with carrying that color scheme through it all.

If you hate the cover, just look at the more modern “suit photo” that is the booklet cover, and think of it as the cover instead. It has the title and everything.

Kundalini likes this.
  24. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Just give me a plain 12" record, not the whole boxset shenanigans. Thank you.

hardknox and timnor like this.
  25. Absjc

Absjc Forum Resident

I’d heard the leaked Toy years ago and was underwhelmed so was hoping the Brilliant Adventure Toy would grab me, but didn’t, so gave the extended Toy a listen today and still feel it’s in the lower league of Bowie
    releases; a la Hours. I can’t see a reason for listening to this ? The material is mediocre and despite some nice vocals its not worth repeated listening. Am I going to reach for Toy if I fancy a Bowie hit, which is daily, no. I’m especially dismissive of the box set Toy - what is the point of disc 2 & 3 ? I couldn’t even finish the acoustic disc. I’m writing this whilst watching Bowie’s Glastonbury performance on the BBC and it really is excellent, but the obvious euphoria he felt in 2000 led to one of his occasional poor decisions. The label was right to reject the album - it adds little of anything to his remarkable body of work. A
    couple of years later he released Heathen and Reality and showed the world his muse had returned.