David Bowie upcoming release announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tingman, Jan 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I have a feeling the Bowie camp has hired the same people who managed Jimi Hendrix's products for the first 20 years after his death.

Ludger likes this.
  2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Appearing on what I thought was the official DB YouTube channel are interesting tracks:
    Young Americans medley (Cher)

Under the Hallo Spaceboy - Part One flag:
    The Heart's Filthy Lesson (live)

Heroes (live Dinah Shore/Cher)

Joe The Lion (live)

Soul Love (live in Tokyo '78)

And these are just a few, there are several more performances on US tv shows throughout the decades.
    Also on Iggy's channel are the Mantra tracks
    And on NIN channel the St Louis '95 tracks

Anybody know what's cooking ? Am I on the wrong channel, or are they uploading stuff to fight recents years grey market broadcast releases ?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  3. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

Weird! Those are definitely all the official channels, though it looks like the Bowie and NIN videos have been taken down. The Iggy one is still there, though not particularly good quality. It looks like a bootleg to me but it's available to download through Amazon so maybe it's a little more gray. Hard to say. There are a lot of sketchy semi-legal releases from Iggy.

4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

They might be time zoned so not available over here yet.

5. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Some surreal news from locked-down San Francisco: Rhino just emailed me that my EP has shipped!

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  6. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

how so?

7. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I got an email yesterday to say that my lp & cd have been shipped from the Rhino Euro store.

However I was getting them shipped to the office, which has been closed since Monday!!!

8. footprintsinthesand

Oh man, you're scr***d. If packages cannot be delivered over here they're held for a limited time, then returned to sender. Delivery collection locations are already struggling with the ever increasing flow of packages, a fair amount have closed because of it. Hope it works out for you.

9. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

We have gone from the post-Reality 10-year drought of Bowie "products" to 10 "products" in 6 months.

croquetlawns, Ludger and scobb like this.
  10. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Security is still working so there should be someone there to collect deliveries

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  11. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

Now I am getting worried that I have not had an email from Rhino telling my goods have been shipped.

Ok, I know there are bigger things to worry about.

marc with a c and Markyp like this.
  12. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Such as? :shrug:

;)

13. Innocent Smith

So, did anybody receive Is It Any Wonder? today? No luck over here. Not sure when to expect it- I haven't even gotten a shipping confirmation yet so who knows?

14. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

They are working through them.
    I had dispatch confirmation yesterday and postman delivered today.
    I ordered the LP/CD bundle. I wonder if they sent bundles first?
    Also, it may depend on which courier co. brings it and how stretched they are -especially if it’s a large parcel because you’ve ordered the bundle with the ‘Is It Any Wonder?’ mousemat, umbrella, bumbag, tea cosy, beach towel. :uhhuh:

15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

hopefully my order from the official store (not rhino) arrives tomorrow

Markyp likes this.
  16. MGW

My CD and vinyl arrived from Rhino UK by first class mail today having shipped yesterday. :pineapple:

Gavaxeman likes this.
  17. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Mine too,

Gavaxeman likes this.
  18. footprintsinthesand

This suspense is killing

And , and , and ...... ?

MGW likes this.
  19. Innocent Smith

Alright, new question. Has anyone in the US who ordered from the official Bowie store gotten theirs yet? It sounds like Rhino in the UK is taking care of business.

20. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I just received my copy. Ordered from Rhino US and shipped from Warner Music Group in Franklin, IN. I'm playing it now and I'm reasonably happy and content with it, although for its price a jewel case would've been nicer than a gatefold cardboard sleeve. At least it's nice cardboard...

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Vinyl arrived, no CD though, guess it comes separately.

Virus be damned, Bowie is here to see me through!

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Yep, my vinyl and cd arrived today from rhino U.K.

23. MGW

OK, only had a chance to listen to the CD (not the vinyl as yet) of Is It Any Wonder?:
    1. Baby Universal '97: Never one of my favourite tracks and retains its exalted status. Seems a bit much in the HFs but I find a lot of TM material like that (personal taste). For me the weakest track on offer.
    2. Fun (Clownboy Mix): Decent, but if I had not been told that it was based on Fame I would not have guessed. That s no bad thing as Fame is not one of my favourite DB tracks :)hide:). Still I like this well enough.
    3. Stay '97: Brilliant a top notch reinterpretation and updating of a classic.
    4. I Can't Read '97: The original of this passed me by so I have no real frame of reference, but this is up there eighth the best of the tracks on this disc. I particularly like the close-miced acoustic guitar but the overall feel and ambience is terrific.
    5. Nuts: I can see why it was left of Earthling - it is perhaps not one of the strongest track. That said it would probably work best as part of a longer (60 minute or so) disc. Here I like it, but it seems to lack the depth and presence of four of the other tracks.
    6. TMHSTW (live Eno Mix): Brilliant a truly innovative reinterpretation of a classic.

Overall a really nice short set with some real gems that I will come back to again and again. The sound is pretty good to - the close-miced acoustic guitar on I Can't Read is truly visceral. One other thing that I did notice was that to get the SQ where I wanted it I did have to turn the volume up slightly higher than I would normally - not sure why.

Enjoy!

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I got a shipping notification last night.

25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Received my vinyl and cd today. The vinyl is a great pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.