David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I remember this too, including the plans for posthumous releases, and as I recall this story ran in a reputable publication. The article said that the first vault releases would show up near the end of 2017, if I recall correctly. So it's possible that Cracked Actor was one of them, or it's possible the remixed Lodger is one of them... or something else entirely is coming our way.

2. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I just got my vinyl box thru the post. The first thing that leaped out at me is that the Diamond Dogs sleeve looks washed out compared to the original.
    It has b*ll*cks but no balls.

3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

find me two DD covers that look alike... that one is all over the place.

4. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Vinyl set now down to £145.18 on Amazon UK. It's dropping like a stone.
    Who Can I Be Now? [1974 - 1976] [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music

5. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’ve bought the Station to Station remix cd off eBay. I was under the impression that the real discs were gold and that fakes were silver. Mine is silver but has all the correct matrix info according to Discogs so I’m confused. Can anybody shed any light?

6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

7. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Given how many pirate boxes are out there, I'd say if it might be a pirate copy, it is a pirate copy!

Tim

8. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

The real discs are gold. The fakes are silver and actually have the correct matrix numbers. The other giveaway for the fakes is that there are two very tiny engraved numbers in the hub area. Genuine discs say ifpi L575 and IFPI 9742; fakes have different numbers.

9. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

On the matrix it says ifpi L575 but there is also an engraving of ifpi B406

These counterfeiters are good

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Stand alone releases are silver.

11. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

The standalone release of STS is the remaster (black & white cover photo), not the remix (full colour cover photo). The remix is a box exclusive, therefore only gold discs are legit. Also the latest copyright date on the standalone would read "2017" (the standalones were released 10 February) whereas discs from the box would say "2016", and the STS remix disc specifically says "2010 HARRY MASLIN MIX" on the physical disc itself.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Okay. I missed the word "remix". I take it back then.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  13. Dan HF

Dan HF Active Member

I finally broke down and picked up this set (on CD) . One of the reasons I never bothered before is that I already had the 3CD 'Deluxe' set of Station to Station containing the Harry Maslin 'analog' mix from 2010, so that seemed to give no added value for me. But now that I've got it, I found that the version of the 2010 mix sounded different on the box set CD compared to the 2010 CDs — and indeed, when I ran it through my DR meter, I found the dynamic range on the 2010 discs was substantially higher than the older discs. Has the mix been remastered and slightly compressed for the box set? Or are they actually not the same versions?

14. obi

obi Forum Resident

The mastering of the 2010 Maslin mix is identical on both the 2010 deluxe set and the “Who can I be now” box set.

15. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

the "analogue master" on the 3CD set is only found on that and the 6 disc super deluxe edition from the same time. the WCIBN box includes a new, less dynamic master and Harry Maslin's 2010 remix which was NOT included in the 3CD edition, only the 6 disc, and is brickwalled.

Derek Slazenger, Dan HF and obi like this.
  16. Dan HF

Dan HF Active Member

Thanks for clearing that up! Glad I held on to the 3CD set then. :)

17. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

yes, the 2010 master is superior to the 2016 and many consider it the best available.

stef1205 and BlueSpeedway like this.
  18. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

^ would be fun to blind test StS like has been done with Young Americans and TMWSTW.
    I have the WG RCA, but mainly compared it with the Ryko and 99 cd's.

Robert C and sparkmeister like this.
  19. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i thought that the 2010 box set had the analog transfer and that the Harry Maslin 2010 mix was on the DVD-only. then, in this box, that Maslin 2010 was given its own CD and the remaster of the album itself was inferior to the analog transfer. is that not correct?

20. That sounds correct but I will have to check my STS box to be sure. IIRC, the analog flat transfer is on the DVD-A in high res and it is the version of the album I usually reach for, although having the RCA CD rerelease is nice too. I will listen to the Maslin remix in 5.1 from time to time.

Michael D likes this.
  21. Since the ANCIANT thread has been closed, can someone answer the following questions for me:

1). What rarities are missing from RE:CALL 1? I do not mean any of the Ryko bonus tracks, I only mean period edits, remixes, etc.

2). What about for RE:CALL 2? I thought that was complete but I could be wrong.

3). Other than the single version of Cat People, what is missing from RE:CALL 3?

Thanks!

22. In a word, it is awesome. IMHO, the very best album Bowie ever made. Now, there are other songs throughout the catalog that are just as good, but no other album from beginning to end is so fully realized. All the songs fit together perfectly. There is no filler. It is hard to not listen to the entire album in one solid run through.

23. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

yes, correct.

24. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

arguably the Low sampler promo 7", the Australia-only 9.20 extended Cat People, the 7" edit of Peace On Earth (and indeed the correct 12", the version included on Re:Call 3 is incorrect)... and dynamic range ;)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  25. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Re:Call 1: Video shows what's on and what's left off. :

Re:Call 2: Ditto : David Bowie -Who Can I Be Now (1974-1976) box set. Recall 2 & the original 45s

There doesn't seem to be one for Re:Call 3 at this point in time - but see karmaman's post above. Cat People contains music not on the other versions.

Both video's clock in just under 20 mins.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Billy Budapest likes this.