David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Agreed on the missing Low promo and "Cat People" single edits (thankfully, needledrops exist) but I haven't heard the "Peace on Earth" singles, what is different in the 12" version from the one on A New Career?

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it trims the fade-in and adds an extra line of Bing Crosby dialogue at the end. of minor importance to most, but it's not how it was released.

aphexj likes this.
  3. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’d imagine it’s against the rules for someone to publicly supply links to site(s) for needle drops mentioned here.
    Although if someone was to PM me them :D

4. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Keep this one alive. Don’t blow it like the other David Bowie thread!

5. I knew I could count on you for this, karmaman!

6. cmcintyre likes this.
  7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I did a waveform grab of "Baal" from Pono (16/44.1 digital download) vs. "Baal" from Parlophone, prepped 'em up and ready to go.. then found the thread closed down. IIRC, Parlophone mildly goosed and peak-limited track 1 (of the 5). And this time, I guess the answer really is "Because they could".

8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Forgive me if this has been discussed but..... I though The Gouster, David Live (original version) and Recall 2 were exclusive to the box set but it would appear on Amazon that its all downloadable individually (even individual tracks). Is this the case everywhere? The same seems to go for the "exclusive's" in Five Years and A New Career In A New Town. Having only bought these three boxes for the "exclusive" material I'm now wondering if I was mistaken about what was exclusive or if the record company has simply lied in it's marketing?

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yeah, but they're MP3s. Amazon MP3s.

I'm surprised there isn't a better digital download store somewhere for Australians than that, where you can at least buy individual songs or albums off the boxes at "lossless" (44.1/16bit) without going in and buying the whole thing?

Does 7digital operate there? Qoboz?

10. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I bought just The Gouster from iTunes (UK) on release date, although I've since been given the CD box so deleted the iTunes files.

11. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

So other than artwork (in the physical) boxes there is nothing "exclusive" at all. I had been under the impression that there was exclusive music, my mistake.

12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Again, depends on the territory, and whether you think MP3s "count". YMMV, but $35 for a "Re:Call3" CD vs. $25 for Amazon's MP3s? No-brainer, for me.

I notice that itunes (USA) is not currently offering albums or songs for box3 for individual sale, unlike Amazon (USA).

(And right at the moment, 2 Visconti mix Lodger CDs from box3 remain on ebay, for $US 35 ea. 25 sold. But again, territory. US sellers have generally not been the ones breaking up boxes. It's been the UK as far as I can tell. Also as far as I can tell, they're taking a risk that they'll make their retail nut on the rarities, and what they get for the other CDs is gravy. I spent $70 (with shipping) for the CD book and "Re:Call3". Had I also wanted a CD of Visconti's "Lodger", I'd be hitting the US retail price of the entire box3, which would just be stupid.)

13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I realize this is too late to help you out, but I bought the CD Box from Amazon for $109 then after complaining about the Sound Quality on Heroes(Volume Drop) and a few other SQ issues, I received $35 refund, so ended up paying $74 for the CD Box Set that is just a little higher than you paid for Recall 3 CD and Book from this Box Set. I was thinking even if you did not get as much of a refund after a complaint or at least $20), that you could have sold off the rest of the CDs from the Box Set even at a low price like $7 per CD and you would have paid a real minimal price for the Recall 3 CD & the Book.

Also wonder what the price difference is for the Book being sold individually by secondary sellers from the CD & Vinyl Box Set, with the Book in the Vinyl Box Set being much larger.

14. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I didn't see any vinyl (12") books broken out for box3. While they're surely easier on the eyes, and I would have gladly grabbed one, big-format books (Especially 12" square ones; 12" high ones are a little less burdensome) get to be a storage PITA after a while.

15. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Do you hear obvious differences between the iTunes files and the lossless files from the CD?

16. BlueSpeedway

Only the general increase in sound quality. The iTunes was acceptable, but although my system isn't amazing, I think it's good enough with my headphones to hear the better sound of the CD.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The book does look nice though no matter which size you get, although have not had time to look at it yet. If you love Bowie, I would strongly recommend 'The Golden Years' book by Griffin and although list price is $70, it was being sold for $40 on Amazon last time I checked. I have only skimmed through it, but it is beautiful with the Gold Edge Pages and lots of great photos. I hope to read it in the next year(no pun intended).

OT-Since you are from Philly, not sure if you are a fan, or follow the NHL, but the Flyers look good with moving Giroux to the Wing and Couts Centering that 1st line. Hopefully, Elliot regains his form he had as the Blues Goalie, after that off year last season with the Flames, as Neuvirth is too injury prone. Provarov is on his way to a HOF Career. Hope the other young D-Men develop.

18. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’ll second your comments on the book. One of the nicest Bowie books I’ve got.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The snippets I've heard of that reel with "Schilling the Rubes," "Laser," "After Today," and "Young Americans" is absolutely fantastic. I love where Bowie was at during that session - great vibe. I much prefer what he was recording there to what he ultimately laid down for the official YA album. "Schilling the Rubes" sounds wonderful and I've always adored "After Today." Why didn't they release this with The Gouster set?

20. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

After Today is so much faster here, the ryko version is better and Shilling is a good song but very raw and missing a lyric verse, the surprise is Lazer a very interesting song

21. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

What's the general opinion on "The Gouster" around here?

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I like it a lot more than Young Americans, which I was never a fan of. You lose 'Fame' but you gain so much more.

Mr. Explorer and dtuck90 like this.
  23. BlueSpeedway

Maybe there’s plans for an After Today 7” limited edition 500g picture disc, exclusive to Dunkin Donuts stands.

In Wisconsin.

24. BlueSpeedway

There’s a fab playlist to be had by merging some of both :righton:

25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Add a hologram and scratch & sniff patch on the cover and this fortune fan will find it. :agree: