David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Storytime

Storytime Forum Resident

I totally agree. I always felt that the Young Americans album was too over-the-top. To me it really does sound like a “plastic soul” album. The Gouster, on the other hand, sounds to me like an actual soul album. I find myself listening to that disc much more than Young Americans. Now that I have The Gouster, I kind of treat Young Americans as a 12” single of “Fame” (which I love) backed with “Fascination,” and not really listen to much more of it than that.

Mr. Explorer and Stump like this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Bonkers, I know. But I've not played it, despite owning the box. Same goes for the remix of Lodger. I keep meaning to delve, but get distracted. :D

Always enjoyed Young Americans though.

3. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

I like it and often play it and then play Young Americans.

4. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

The remix of Lodger is VERY good IMO....

Django216 likes this.
  5. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

OT, but does anyone know anything about the forthcoming Let's Dance era box set ??

6. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

No but that hasn't kept us from speculating on it in another thread. I can't link to it at the moment but search for Dancing with the Big Boys.

7. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

There should be some right rubbish in that next boxset. Im a massive Bowie fan, but thats a pretty bad era...

blastfurniss likes this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I did quick search last night, and found other forums posting about the next box. I'd say the consensus is that Tin Machine won't be in there. If true, it would be all but catastrophic, imo. I mean, while I'm busy trying to convince myself that the Let's Dance and Tonight albums aren't as bad as I remember them (which won't be easy, since they are) I'll only have Never Let Me Down to fall back on. :D

richbdd01 likes this.
  10. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Plus whatever other goodies the Bowie estate come up with which is where the main interest will lie for most people on here.

11. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

This will be a hard sell, even for the biggest Bowie fans.

Vaughan likes this.
  12. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

Still hoping for a Never Let Me Down remix. I liked the remix of "Time Will Crawl" on iSelect very much. The drums make all the difference on that one. Maybe that album can be salvaged more than 30 years after the fact.

stef1205, Curveboy and TonyCzar like this.
  13. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

It's my favourite album.

I love the 'plastic soul' (his words!) sound, with his hoarse voice, and for me this album reflects it better than Young Americans.

tug_of_war, Davido and NunoBento like this.
  14. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

Funny you say that!!! This was his most popular era.......I dont ever remember Bowie being a Chart topping mainstream artist except for the 80s.....

Curveboy likes this.
  15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Yeah, no. Like it or not, the Venn diagram where 'vinyl resurgence hipsters with disposable income' and 'People who know and like David Bowie from Let's Dance and Labyrinth as much as they do from Ziggy Stardust' is pretty much one circle laid atop another, which equals much success for box #4

gomen ne likes this.
  16. gomen ne

gomen ne -

:biglaugh: That's so true! But maybe those hipsters and 80s Bowie fans will be scared off a bit after the widely publicised ANCIANT disaster. I agree with you though - Bowiecorps can sell s**tloads of records without even trying these days. Sales figures are not really related to quality of product. It's just a no-brainer at the moment for Parlophone to keep on churning out re-releases. They can't lose.

17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

A remixed NLMD and decent-sounding live Serious Moonlight would get me in, I think. Throw in a hi-res '87 show, and I'm pre-ordering.

A VHS of "Ricochet"? I'd pay any price. (jokes)

gomen ne and pobbard like this.
  18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I dare you to name one (Pal !) ;)

19. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Robin Clark and Carlos Alomar answer questions from the Sigma Kids about recording the Young Americans album. This is pretty informative. Posted here because there isn't a good active YA album thread (@Haristar maybe time for the How Do You Rate YA thread ?).

djhurley92 likes this.
  20. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I've just recently gotten back into Bowie, especially his mid 70s period and I haven't read all 138 pages and I had a question for the Bowie experts. His recording of "It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City" is listed in the S&V box set as a Station to Station outtake, but Carlos Alomar says they never recorded that during the 1975 sessions. Since it's not included on the Re:Call disc on this set I have to wonder: if Carlos is right; then when was it recorded?

21. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

"Recorded 20-24 November 1974? (though it’s possible Bowie revisited the track during the Station to Station sessions, in October-November 1975). Released on the Sound + Vision box set in 1989"

It’s Hard To Be a Saint In the City

Apparently the last night of The Young Americans sessions...more or less.

22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Was it ever sorted out where "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" comes from (on the cd version of David Live).

23. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Only performed during the Philly shows on that tour though I heard it may have been a rehearsal and not done in front of an audience.

NumberEight and Flaming Torch like this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thank you Mister President. Great performance and song a bit of a favourite of mine

croquetlawns and Runicen like this.
  25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Who took the Tower off of the Tower?

Iconic tower atop the Tower Theater for nearly 100 years has to come down....