David Byrne New Album “American Utopia” Coming March 9, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I would venture to guess that everybody is going to his house except Chris, Tina and Jerry.
    Sorry...

RockNRod, JNTEX and krock2009 like this.
  2. oldjollymon

oldjollymon right channel den/left channel kitchen

Got 2 in the nosebleeds to see him in Durham, NC: cheapest seats still came out to $80/ea. after all the @#$% fees!

3. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Got two tickets for Vancouver ($179 total after fees) probably quite far back but in the center which I'm happy about. It's in a theatre so it shouldn't be too bad plus I prefer to see the whole stage especially if he's promising "the most ambitious show since Stop Making Sense."
    It also mentioned that when purchasing a ticket you get a copy of the CD as well which I'm also happy with. I do vinyl if I have to but I prefer CDs and now I suppose I'll be getting two.

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

My wife is a huge Byrne fan (more so than T. Heads, whereas I am the reverse), so I was busy snapping up tickets this morning. Ended up with 2nd row for Sacramento and San Diego, 4th row for San Jose and GA floor for Oakland (which is what we wanted). I'll go to Oakland and San Jose, she'll do the other shows with her girlfriends. Not sure how many other venues had GA, Oakland was the only one of the four shows we were interested in.

5. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

London is GA on the floor (normally Stalls).

6. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I'll be visiting London from Australia during the time David's playing his shows there, pleased to say I snapped up a ticket last night! Should be a memorable gig.

7. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I wasn't looking that far afield. :D The missus will be bummed as she will be in London a few weeks later for some of the Hyde Park shows.

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I'll be on the orchestra level for the Toronto show!

9. We saw him about 10 years ago after he did the Eno collaboration, & it was a terrific concert. We decided to pass this year as the cheapest seats were $91 in a larger hall than last time. If the new record is the best thing ever, we may change our minds.

10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

This pretty much sums up my sentiment as well. We had a blast at the show we saw when he toured on Everything That Happens..., but ticket prices are just too outrageous, and I've already got a few shows I'm going to this year.

Geee! likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What's weird to me is that in the early 2000's Byrne was playing a Vancouver venue 1/3rd the size and it wasn't a tough ticket. I think some of it is the Prince/Bowie/Petty effect for acts of his generation.

There is a new spotlight technology being used for the first time that sound quite interesting.

oldjollymon and geogaddi83 like this.
  12. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

anyone know what songs he will be playing this tour, in addition to songs from the new album? I saw a clip on you tube of him doing "once in a lifetime"...why couldn't he have just made this a talking heads album..and tour,,,

13. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

Surprised at people remarking in high ticket prices - I managed a second row centre stall seat for Glasgow and it was £51.50 all in - that’s booking and postage too.

He has a huge band and is promising an ambitious production - I think that’s a steal, frankly.

14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

True, but you do have to go to Glasgow!!

:hide:

:winkgrin:

englishbob and Max Florian like this.
  15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

You couldn't even sit in the last row for that price at the show here. :mad:

16. Because artists like Byrne are always looking forward and not just an oldies act.

soundQman and ConnieGuitar like this.
  17. SoundAdvice

Last row in the 3,000 seater here is over $100 after fees. TM only has about 100 seats left on the interactive map.

18. SoundAdvice

Vast majority of attendees are going for the TH fix.

None of his solo stuff from the past 25 years raise above "it's decent enough" for me.The Eno/Annie albums faring a bit better.

19. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

I hear ya....but if he is doing quite a bit of Talking Heads material in concert...it sure would have been ince to finally have the reunion. As great as Byrne solo, he is much better with the band; the sum is greater, imho, of course.

20. Agree but he never wants to work with them.

During the big reissue and limited theatrical release of their concert film , Byrne wouldn’t be around the rest of the band.

That ship has sailed.

21. Tgreg

Tgreg Forum Resident

^ A real shame; he's much better with them; glad you still enjoy him as well, though,

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

I’m sure I’m in a tiny minority, as the only record by TH I consistently enjoy is Naked, and I love almost everything Byrne has done since. In my opinion/taste, he got better both at songwriting and singing. Feelings and his S/T in particular are my faves.

The only time I saw him live was for the “plays Byrne/Eno” tour, and I didn’t make much an impression as I hoped for less TH and more solo Byrne songs. I’m also playing the waiting game for this tour - too costly and I want to hear the new record first.

23. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I saw the "Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno" Halloween show in Boston in 2008 and it was phenomenal; easily a top-ten concert, and that's a competitive list. The concept for the new tour sounds really interesting, so I'm in -- just picked up tickets for the second night in Boston.

24. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

Pretty lame. Most people who know Glasgow love the place. Plus David Byrne just happens to have been born in this part of the world.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I won't attend this tour, but I have seen Talking Heads and Byrne solo live - and I KNOW you guys are going to be in for a great night. The guy is magic on stage and performing.

oldjollymon and Davido like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.