David Byrne New Album “American Utopia” Coming March 9, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark Horse 77, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

no, sorry. This place had MANY folks commenting how much better it sounded. I found someone on the net that was kind enough to share a rip with me.
    Stopped me from buying the cd. Another case when this forum save me a buck or two.

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I saw that "apology".

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He just did a great album/tour with St. Vincent, and has had females in his band for as long as I can remember. He's got nothing to apologize for.

Tanx, Porkpie, PDK and 2 others like this.
  4. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

He shouldn't have apologized...The whole fake feminist outrage is so stupid. His last album was a complete collaboration with a woman. Leave the guy alone.

5. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Indeed, the world has gone mad.

marcb, driverdrummer, PDK and 2 others like this.
  6. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident

Ticket prices seem to be up sharply for the upcoming 'season'. Do others feel this way?

Davido likes this.
  7. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

To those complaining about the 'lack of women'... Go listen to something else.

This country has gone absolutely crazy.

8. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Another example: the mastering of the Sgt. Pepper stereo remix was different on vinyl than on digital.

9. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

This stuff is really getting on my tits now! As a woman, it really does my head in that so many women are happy to be part of a quota instead of relying on their skill, talent or merit to get where they want to be! He should not have to apologise for choosing to work with musicians/technicians who are the best for the job regardless of what they have between their legs! Sorry for the mini rant but I’m sick to death of entitled feminists shouting about every little thing at the moment!

Anyway back to the topic! I wasn’t going to get this one but I’ve rather fallen in love with the single as it’s getting a lot of play on bbc 6music so I figured I’d get it after all. Lovely quiet pressing and certainly sounds full and lush. It’s not all to my taste, some of it is a bit too wafty for my liking but I think it those tracks will grow on me and they fit the flow of the album. But when it’s good, it’s very good. I love I dance like this, brilliant track. Overall I’m glad I picked it up. (Mastered by Greg Calbi at Stirling if that helps anyone out!)

10. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

What precipitated this whole fiasco? Women (not sure why the gender composition is controversial?) were in his band at that show, and presumably, the rest of the tour.

11. Zach Johnson

A few feminists online, looking for something to be offended by.

12. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I don't get this "apology" at all. How is the next women he approaches to collaborate going to feel? That he genuinely wants to work with her, or like a number?

He did nothing wrong unless he was thinking about avoiding working with women, otherwise, the art took him where it did. This time it was a bunch of men, last time it was St. Vincent, next time (his stage show) it is a mix.

But he is a really nice guy, and trying to bend over backwards not to offend anyone. Something that is pretty impossible in this day and age.

13. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I don't want to jump into the realm of personal politics here, BUT, true equality should ideally see everyone judged by the merit of their output, in my humble opinion. Calling attention to any perceived deficit based on some affirmative action-style quota is paradoxically belittling and demeaning.

Chris Carter was faced with similar "outrage" during production of the current season of The X-Files. He was called out for not having female writers during New York Comic-Con, at which point, they had filmed half the episodes, so, in response, he hired two female writers and a female director for the back half of the season. This has actually turned out to be a great thing, as anyone who watches his shows can tell you that that man is often in desperate need of an idea editor! He also definitely needed some new blood and a fresh perspective on the team, regardless of whether they be man or WOman.

There was another situation involving Carter/his production company/Fox, and that was the fact that Gillian Anderson was apparently paid much less than David Duchovny for last season, which is hideous, but, was, to my knowledge, remedied prior to the current run.

More importantly...this album is fantastic. Let's dance!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  14. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Absolutely. He mentioned that there would be voter registration outside at Univ. @ Buffalo, and made sure to say that it was non-partisan.

15. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I am listening to the CD now, as it arrived today via Amazon. The reports of being dynamically compressed are certainly true. I keep having to turn it down more and more. It's tragic. The music is pretty good, but I wish I'd not purchased this CD. I probably will never listen to it again. (But I will rip to MP3 and put on my car stereo's USB for background listening during long drives.) Very disappointing. :cussing:

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I have started regarding these expensive shows as once-in-a-lifetime experiences. I go now only for my very favorite and most important artists, from whom I expect a superb performance and that they may not ever come around again to my area. I went to a Kraftwerk 3D concert in a fine, newly constructed concert auditorium in Maryland last year with my daughter, on that basis.

I saw him on that tour also. :righton:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  17. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I think he's better collaborating with Eno, frankly.

18. Zach Johnson

I went to two record shops and couldn't find it...Now I look on Amazon.ca and the date has been moved back a week (and price doubled). :sigh:

19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Chances are he is avoiding distractions to his tour and publicity by going with the flow on this.

Max Florian likes this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

That's disappointing to hear about the sound of the new album. I was looking forward to getting it. :(

21. Just listened to the record on vinyl. Love It. I turned it up and it sounded fantastic. Modern ? Probably, but I don’t give a **** what the DR is.

It’s a good record. Listen to it and enjoy the music.

[​IMG]

RockNRod, jmczaja and Purplefowler like this.
  22. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Especially since the house had already burned down in '83.

har har.

Going to pick up a copy on vinyl soon.

23. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

From The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, "Everybody's Coming To My House" by David Byrne...

Larsen, gregorya, anodyne and 5 others like this.
  24. That’s so great Fun song

25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Did Rosie O Donnell write the scathing letter to David Byrne?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.