David Cassidy, RIP.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Or worse. Didn't these blokes have a canary behind the curtains ? Bobby H.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Mmm no, The Rubettes were never heartthrobs, much the same with the Glitter Band.
    The huge 70's heartthrobs were..
    Marc Bolan
    David Cassidy
    Donny Osmond

The heartthrob band was the Bay City Rollers members
    Les
    Eric
    Woody
    Alan
    David essex :D

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

What’s a ‘canary behind the curtains’? Is it some sort of weird sex/drugs reference I’m too innocent to know about?:D

Fullbug, bob60 and Randoms like this.
  4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

No that's your Rock-'n'-roll mind playing tricks, I meant that Paul da Vinci bloke doing falsetto. Btw didn't mean to hail you there, it was Google's keyboard taking over for the 2nd time this week, moving around suggested words to type nanoseconds before (or after ?) I select them. Bloddy hell.

5. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Are we still not allowed to mention D***k?

6. Bobby Morrow

In that case, I do believe Mr Da Vinci did the high bits on Sugar Baby Love. Before going onto his own mid-chart hit, of course.

7. Bobby Morrow

I can’t remember exactly what happened, but I don’t think the case came to anything.

8. Randoms

Now listened to Daydreamer all the way through, which appears to be from a live concert from the mid 80s. Not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this!

The boy sure could sing.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. Randoms

I believe Paul da Vinci was the vocalist on Sugar Baby Love, Alan Williams mimed to his vocals on TOTP.

I've seen Rubettes with Alan Williams a couple of times, and he could sing the falsetto very well.

Sugar Baby Love, was of course written for Showaddywaddy.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Do you remember his mid 80s hit, The Last Kiss?

Jarleboy and Randoms like this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Everything comes back to either Showaddywaddy or the Wombles with you.:D

Jarleboy and Randoms like this.
  12. Randoms

No.

oldturkey and Bobby Morrow like this.
  13. Randoms

I could say that I got into Wizzard, Roy Wood and The Move because of The Wombles, but that really wouldn't be true!

Back on thread, the freebie David Cassidy, Daydreamer, did arrive with Step Two, by, ..... Showaddywaddy. :D

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

When I was at school poor Derek was the member that none of the girls fancied, except ''like a brother''.

oldturkey, Jarleboy and Randoms like this.
  15. Randoms

I would never have known that! Interesting how they would fancy Alan, but not Derek.

I'm sure they all did, "OK"!

bob60 likes this.
  16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Either something very significant happened to her while she was on that show that she'd like to forget, or she's got some issues.

Isamet, oldturkey and bob60 like this.
  17. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...When TPF was current, Susan Dey had a supporting role in the Chuck Heston vehicle, " Skyjacked ". She was from Mount Kisco, New York, a town up from me. The Mount Kisco Theater played it then, and put on their marquee " AND FEATURING MOUMT KISCO' S OWN SUSAN DEY "!

?
    q

post: 17606776, member: 91"]Either something very significant happened to her while she was on that show that she'd like to forget, or she's got some issues.[/QUOTE]

18. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Bowie was a really big cult artist in the states during the glam era of 1972-74. But, glam in the states wasn't nearly as popular as it was in the UK.

In 1975 Bowie went to the top of the charts with "Fame" in the US, and he was pretty well known there by that point, but still nowhere near the Bowie-mania my cousins were experiencing in the UK.

He also sort of dropped off the radar a bit in the US during his "Berlin trilogy" period, which was way more popular in the UK. And, like you said, Bowie finally became a big star in the US with "Let's Dance" and MTV.

Cassidy should have took him up on the offer, but maybe Bowie came on to him or something. :laugh:

19. Bobby Morrow

I’d say Bowie’s peak year in the UK was 1973 so Cassidy should have been highly flattered that he took an interest in him. It would have been an unlikely pairing but I’d liked to have heard it anyway.:)

oldturkey and bob60 like this.
  20. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

Yeah, it might have actually set Cassidy off on a reputable solo career. Cassidy surely had the voice for it. I'm sure he kicked himself in later years for passing up the opportunity, while having to sing "I Think I Love You" for the 5000th time in some supper club.

I remember when I was a kid in the 70s hearing that Cassidy was going to work with Mick Ronson, in Circus magazine or something. So, I bet that was the same time as the Bowie offer to produce.

oldturkey, bob60 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

22. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I never brought a photo; I just told her "cut it like David Cassidy" - - everybody knew what that meant.

RogerB and Fishoutofwater like this.
  23. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I disagree. Space hit #15 and Changes #41. Until Fame, that was Bowie's only Top 40 hit in the USA.

The Partridge Family was being seen by 10-15 million people weekly on their TV show (4 year run). That kind of exposure alone is priceless. Music-wise they also had much more chart success than Bowie during that era.

oldturkey, bob60 and JoeRockhead like this.
  24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Dey has shunned the Partridge circuit for years. After Cassidy released his tell-all book, which features stuff about Susan Dey, she was reportedly so upset that she never talked to him again.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

This is really nice. David and Shaun Cassidy doing the showstopper from the musical Blood Brothers:

greelywinger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.