David Cassidy, RIP.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

As a young kid i also grew up watching The Partridge Family and owned a couple of albums I think Up To Date and David's solo album Dreams Are Nothin' More Than Wishes soon after I got into more rocking stuff but I've always maintained they had good songs and David's voice was great. A shame to see another one go :-(

2. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Gotta say this is hitting me pretty hard. Was a huuge David Cassidy fan and never missed a PF episode. Was 9-10 when I got the PF music bug. Had my mother take out to buy all their records and teen mags. Absolutely loved that Sound Magazine cassette. I had the chance to go to the Agoura Hills Canyon Club gig (his last) this past February and based on the YouTube vids of him, really glad that I didn't. Really feel a pretty big emptiness at this moment as yet another very meaningful part of my very young life has left us.

He sure had his share of setbacks with his divorces, bankruptcy, problems with DUI/alcohol. I know that development must be a blessing for him given all of his health issues. Still, aging can really be an awful thing. Both my mother and father had Alzheimer's, so I feel pretty scared about what lies in store for me.

Most amazing tune imo was Love Is All That I Ever Needed, with honorary mention to Umbrella Man.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  3. Sad.
    Rest well, sir.

zebop likes this.
  4. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Rest in peace Mr. Cassidy.

Sincere condolences to his family, friends, colleagues and all of the fans of his work on record, stage and screen through the many years of his career.

He had a unique voice and a natural talent that appealed to a wide range of audiences.

I trust he is now free from the pain that has plagued his recent years. I hope his music and the good memories will comfort his family and his fans.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  5. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Really sad to hear this. R.I.P. David.

6. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I remember how much I liked watching the Partridge Family. I must have been 7 or 8 when it started. My parents gave me a Partridge family record which I played on my little guy record player. The Partridge Family was probably the first film of a pop/rock band I had ever seen. David Cassidy seemed to keep a much lower profile through most of his life...not all the craziness that many entertainers exhibit. One of the good guys. R.I.P.

7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Bugger!

R.I.P Mr Cassidy. You made some great tunes.

8. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

Four in a row now; Malcolm Young, Mel Tillis, Della Reese & now David. Just....wow.......:shake:

9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Never missed an episode as a kid.

His character was, right alongside the Beatles as my greatest inspiration to play guitar, sing and write songs.

Completed my collection of PF LPs at thrift stores for 50 cents each in High School. One of my favorite male voices and loved their material.

Had a HS yearbook pic taken in love beads and a not dissimilar haircut.

Recorded a synth pop cover of a PF tune freshman year of college.

Summer Days is in a rough 3 way tie with Fantasy (EW&F) and Linus & Lucy for cover tune I have played most on piano.

Rewatching the series, this time with my kids (including a daughter named Cassidy), and we are in the middle of season 2.

Saw him twice live, one excellent show with Danny sitting in on bass and one show a few years later after he had begun to decline. At least it gave my kids a chance to see him.

Very sad to see him go. But with the demons he seemed to be struggling with last time I saw him it may be a blessing for him to finally be able to rest in peace.

10. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Gonna play my Partridge Family Playlist CD tonight. RIP David Cassidy. The Partridge Family was must see TV at my house on Friday night. Losing too many of my faves these days.

Jrr and JoeRockhead like this.
  11. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

great voice
    R.I.P.

JoeRockhead and Rick H. like this.
  12. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Summer Days...love that song.

Rfreeman, Jrr and JoeRockhead like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

One of the great pop idols of the 70s. I missed most of his big run as I didn't get into music until mid-1973. The first single I bought by him was the UK #1 Daydreamer in October of that year. Great song and perfect for his breathy vocal style.

His passing isn't a great shock given recent news articles, but 67 is still too young. The only blessing being that given his dementia diagnosis he didn't have a lot to look forward to.

R.I.P David.

bob60 and Jrr like this.
  14. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

Life was so much simpler back in the days that Keith Partridge was singing about love.
    Why did we ever have to grow up?

15. Bobby Morrow

I will add that his 1973 album, Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes, really is lovely. It's kind of his Horizon.:)

After this he seemed fixated on proving himself as a rock star, but the style on Dreams really suited him. Nice elaborate artwork for vinyl fans too.:)

16. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

Goodbye, David. R.I.P.

17. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

Completely agree. A really good LP.

It's a great shame that he died so young, but after his struggle with his health, at least that struggle is now over. Another part of my childhood gone.

JoeRockhead and Bobby Morrow like this.
  18. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Ah, another fan of "Spirit Of '76". I remember seeing a few ads for it on tv and knew I just had to see it. Unfortunately it was a limited release in theaters and it never made it to my town. My local video store refused to stock it ("I don't think it will rent") when I bugged them to get a copy. Took me several years later when I moved from Ohio to Santa Fe, NM that I was finally able to get my hands on a copy. I guess it was a few years ahead of the curve for 70's nostalgia. Had it come out a few years earlier it might have made a bigger splash commercially. I've only met a few people who have seen it.

Silver Surfer and greelywinger like this.
  19. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Brilliant, brilliant singer, always thought he should have joined the Beach Boys at some point,
    my elder sister was obsessed at the time, so I know every word, esp the solo LPs. I'll spin Cherish later.
    Big news in UK too.

20. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

So sad to read about David's passing, I cried my eyes out.
    A legend of his generation, a troubled soul on Earth, may you finally have peace.
    Thanks for making me understand jealousy, all my girlfriends fancied you!!..they had good taste!
    You are a "Gem".
    Cheers bro'

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    JoeRockhead and bob60 like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

It always surprised me that given the success of Daydreamer/The Puppy Song, Bell didn’t release a second single from the album...There were at least a couple of contenders on there, I thought. Odd they just left it!

Cassidy always seemed troubled. Even when he was young and things were going well there seemed to be something missing.

David Austin likes this.
  22. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I've never heard anything by him - never on the radio, or any sort of recognisible mainstay hit.

What would be a good place to start?

23. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

24. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I Think I Love You makes every AM list i make on my Ipod. 67 is too young! RIP

25. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Dementia takes Malcomb and David days apart. R.I.P.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.