David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name - WOW!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmil, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

I agree, that font on the CD makes it look grey-market to me.

2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

the original vinyl cover is so nice. Just like Neil's first...best as understated perfection--without the cover fonts.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Old Rusty, smoke, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  3. Rensebrink

Rensebrink New Member

I just bought a copy in this record. It's an UK repressing from 1972 with runout stamp K 40320 A2 Biblo on SIDE A and K 40320 B3 Allen on SIDE B.

However, this turns out to be a misprint. On side B the records starts with the song Laughing for the second time, instead of What Are There Names. I think it's pretty annoying since What are There Names is one of my favs of this album and is missing on mine.

Anyone heard about this misprinted version before? It's not mentioned on Discogs..

4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

How annoying. What Are There Names is my favorite song on the album.

5. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Laughing is mine, so I'd actually be quite happy with that, but I'd still want What Are There Names somewhere too, as it's also stunning!

6. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

Just thought I’d add my two cents on the best digital version of this album.

I’ve heard the DVD audio version from 2006 (checked out & ripped from my local library). While the HD audio aspect does indeed offer vividness, I agree with others saying the stereo mix is top-end heavy and much too compressed.

Don’t have surround audio, so I can’t comment on that.

Picked up the OG 1990 CD yesterday, and it is heaven. Crankable and sounds very much like the vinyl — retains organic goodness that I felt was squeezed out of the 2006 mastering.

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  7. Django

Django Forum Resident

I have it on CD. Its a while since I played it. I remember thinking it was okay at best. Must give it another spin.

8. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

What does OG stand for? Original generation?

9. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

It’s a term from hip-hop that used to mean “original gangster,” but as language goes, its meaning evolved to mean simply “original.” :)

10. multi.flacs.project

multi.flacs.project Forum Resident

(I suppose my last attempt at posting this sounded like a request for a bootleg, which it is not . I am merely interested in the title/name of the song. As far as I understand the bootleg rules, a scholarly discussion of the musical content is ok. )

So does anyone know the title of this unidentified Crosby tune? It appears to be from the IICORMN or PERRO era, but that's about all I know.

Cheers and thanks

11. Hermetech Mastering

According to my friend Andy, a huge Croz fan: "Yeah, it’s from the Planet Earth Rock & Roll Orchestra sessions- well worth seeking out in any of their variations, basically all the best West Coast musicians getting high and jamming. Lovely stuff. There is at least one commercial release (on Gonzo records)."

US Blues and multi.flacs.project like this.
  12. multi.flacs.project

multi.flacs.project Forum Resident

It's not on that Gonzo release (which is clearly on the dark grey side of the spectrum and a direct clone of a trader's tape) for sure. It's not on any of the common PERRO tapes you see circulating, either, which made me wonder if it really was PERRO material... It sure sounds like it, indeed!

Stephen Barncard & co are apparently considering / preparing an official PERRO release, according to his comments on youtube mentioned some pages back. It will probably take a long time until that gets out, though. So looking forward to that!

13. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

That'd be GREAT. Hope it would include at least one run-through of Jerry's Garcia's "Loser."

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

lots and lots of red tape and recording tape tape to go through to get that one done.

Hep Alien and ianuaditis like this.
  15. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Just picked up the 5.1 HiRes Surround Sound DVD-A for $16 (happy dance)

16. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Been a favorite of mine since the mid 1980's when I discovered it.

Phenomenal sounding acoustic guitars on that album.

17. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Rogan's book on CSNY only mentions two unreleased Crosby tracks from 1970 - Gothic Blues (which later became Where will I be) and Coast Road. Altho he claims the latter track included Nash and Laura Allen on zither. So unlikely to be that track. He also mentions a track from '69 called Naiomi.

18. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I have never heard of this before, I don't know who any of the artists are, I don't even know what genre it is, but since so many are mentioning good vibes I think I'll get it :)

bonus and chrisblower like this.
  19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I have been listening since day one and it has never failed to blow my mind when I'm in the mood for it.My favorite of all CSN&Y and solo outputs.A masterpiece in every sense of the word.The picture painted in Cowboy Song is the finest West Coast outlaw tune ever recorded.I always describe the LP to the uninitiated as "The only album that can completely drug you without the use of chemicals".Some folk called it the 60s hangover album they missed the point. It to me is/was a Grand Farewell to the Haight & 60s underground.Its all there.The love the community the far left the music all in one beautifully executed package. Hope this improves your listening experience.One my top 3 desert island LPs.Peace.
    Note:Find a orig low # pristine copy for the full experience.You can score them for 22-25 dols @ conventions.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    MIPIE, No Bull, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  20. samthesham

No.Been listening 45+yrs never heard that but then again I have always maintained a pristine orig low # on my shelf.If you score one of these you will forget about the others.What you said breaks up the entire continuity of the work.Useless.

21. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Maybe a bit controversial but I think the first 5 tracks are amazing then it's a bit patchy after that.

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

65-77...that gets you The Hollies and The Byrds

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

This would be a great release on MFSL. And Yes - Wow!

24. Hermetech Mastering

But it's SOOOOOOOO much better with. I heard it for the first time on 300 mics. It was transformational. ;)

I like all the tracks except for 'Cowboy Movie', too long, too "American", too sexist, too boring, doesn't really fit with the rest of the album etc. I love all the crazy chanting reverby tracks near the end.

25. samthesham

Yes I agree but I choose not to partake anymore what with age and health but it and Country Joe&Fish EMFMAB were my go to LPs for trippin the light fantastic those 2 and splash of The Doors debut and it was happening in my space.

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.