David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name - WOW!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmil, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I always considered Jerry Garcia’s GARCIA a sister album to Crosby’s. They play together well.

2. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Another photo from the sessions...

[​IMG]

3. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

I recently received the 24/96 .wav transfers from mix engineer Stephen Barncard. They are from the original 1971 two-track stereo mix tapes, transferred to digital for the 2006 re-issues, but BEFORE the tragic squashed mastering job. I've had a bit of banter with Stephen about the whole thing, he was as shocked as me. I will run them through the mastering chain when I get a spare moment, but on first listen they sound fabulous! I don't think they need much doing, except perhaps to get the track to track levels a little bit closer. I feel honoured he shared them with me. There is talk of another version for the 50th anniversary in a couple of years, done right this time, fingers crossed...

ash1, ostrichfarm, imsjry and 13 others like this.
  4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

If you like the Grateful dead than this album should be your cup of tea.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Were the 24/96 tracks on the 2006 DVD re-issue also compressed? A proper 50th Anniversary edition would be great.

6. Hermetech Mastering

Yes, all versions crushed the same, I even went to the trouble of extracting the audio from the DVD, surround versions too, all audibly crushed in places. Cowboy Movie being the worst affected.

Original CD:

[​IMG]

2006 Remaster CD:

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and US Blues like this.
  7. marmil

marmil It's such a long story... Thread Starter

Wow!

Hermetech Mastering likes this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Alternately, this album is what really got me into the music of The Grateful Dead.

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yikes! Thanks for the information.

Maybe that 50th Anniversary box set can include the PERRO out-takes, too.

10. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Yeah, I love the 5.1 mix, but it would be so much better without all the compression. For the stereo, the original CD is the way to go (for now - but I certainly would love to hear that 24/96 transfer!).

The PERRO would be an excellent addition to any new version. Do we know if those tapes are still around and in good condition? The stuff I downloaded several years ago sounds great, but I hope there's an even better version out there that will see the light of day.

11. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

How corruptible are you? :winkgrin:

12. Hermetech Mastering

My professional reputation would be on the line, so unfortunately for you, not at all. :)

13. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I’m glad I saved my original CD of this album.

14. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

'Naomi' is a Terry Callier song, demo'd in 1969, but not released until the noughties IIRC. For some reason Croz has a credit. I tried to speak to him (Croz) about this several years ago and he appeared to have no knowledge at all.

There are stylistic similarities with Croz's work though.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I remember being let down when first playing that remaster. The detail was there, but the compression was obvious.

16. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I've never heard the older CD, but I bought the CD / 5.1 DVD remaster and was quite disappointed. The original record is my go-to, haven't heard any better version yet.

17. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I just heard it and I'm unimpressed to say the least.

I'll give it another try

18. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Do!... original vinyl if possible.

Joti Cover and Sear like this.
  19. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

It is a very nice companion to Garcia's first solo album.. I'd never thought of that before.

20. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

You're asking too much

21. I prefer his last few albums to it but it's pretty good, if a bit lightweight lyrically.

22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I just picked an old Atlantic CD cheap

GerryO likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I don't know how the audio quality is on an old Atlantic CD, but it likely isn't touted as audiophile.

The original pressing, "If I Only Could Remember My Name", has been hailed as an audiophile quality recording on vinyl, a beautiful hazy psychedelic dream of folk-rock.

Some insights and words (below: see link) that help to explain what Croz achieved and tried to say with "If I Only Could Remember My Name". The album and songs were a musical journey borne on the heels of great tragedy - his girlfriend and love had been instantly killed in a head-on collision with a school bus. Nash wrote that he "saw a part of David die that day". Recording the album saved him, if only for a while. How Crosby wrote and performed such a beautiful album was a testament to the collaboration between his friends (Joni Mitchell, Grace Slick, Graham Nash, Neil Young, Jerry Garcia and so many more) and the power of healing that music can provide, if only fleeting. Crosby's life afterwards spiraled into a drug filled and self destructive nightmare, until fifteen years later he found himself in what Croz said saved his life....a kind of hellish drug rehab stint in a Texas prison.

[​IMG]

Each Sunday, Pitchfork takes an in-depth look at a significant album from the past, and any record not in our archives is eligible. Today, we revisit David Crosby’s solo debut, a foggy dream of psychedelic folk-rock. -Pitchfork

Read on...a fine story and background of the making of a classic.

David Crosby: If I Could Only Remember My Name Album Review | Pitchfork

Laughing, David Crosby

[​IMG]

24. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I still can't get it

25. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

An incredible sonic masterpiece...…..I own an EARLY US Atlantic pressing (vinyl) that continually knocks my socks off.

If you're a fan of the Los Angeles/Laurel Canyon music scene, and the renaissance that was taking place during the late 1960's...…...this album encapsulates much of that experience.

Joti Cover and lemonade kid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.