David Crosby interview ”meltdown” July 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkboughtlunch, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I agree with this totally. An interviewer so hyper-aware of how difficult Crosby can be should have treaded more carefully. A little more flexibility on the interviewer’s part probably would have gone a long way. No interview where someone says, “If you don’t want to do it, don’t do it” is going to end well. Also, Crosby’s off-mic ranting at the very end was hilarious.

2. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

I don’t think the interviewer did anything wrong. It isn’t a fireside chat between two guys. It’s a podcast that is meant to educate the listener, who may not know anything about Crosby. Every question is new information to many people, myself included. I think Crosby was completely out of line. The interviewer was cordial and just asked questions.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  3. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Nah

Christian Hill likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

at his age he gets an excuse! ; )

Hammerpeg likes this.
  5. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

That was the best!

I'm guessing I heard (with a funny, mock voice) "When you met Joni Mitchell what was that like?" "When you met Joni and she left you for Graham, did that suck?"

Hall Cat and The MEZ like this.
  6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

The other side. Side B.

7. trusso

trusso Forum Resident

I never liked Reeds music but as a person? What an a hole? He thinks he is being clever and witty but he comes off as a pompous idiot.

8. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Billy Bob has been wearing a "hair system" for quite a few years now. he's actually had quite a bit of work done, if you look at earlier photos....

[​IMG]

9. coot

coot Forum Resident

He' a genius and a prick. :wantsome: He also refuses to give autographs to the very fans who put money in his pocket...Having said I still love the guy...BTW Word to self, don't ask him about old flames:tsk:

Hammerpeg likes this.
  10. Dellarigg

Dellarigg Forum Resident

I heard that a surefire way for a journalist to get a musician (or anyone in the arts) onside is to ask them what stuff they liked as a kid - what got them inspired to make their own start. Doesn't matter how jaded they are, that still sparks them up.

eternalise, jeremylr and Hammerpeg like this.
  11. eternalise

eternalise Forum Resident

It used to be on YouTube, is it gone now?

...Thank God

Jk it sucks but for curiosity's sake

12. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Thank you.. and yes, those drums sound like ****

eternalise likes this.
  13. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

A good musician (especially one known for harmonies) has to be a good listener, to pick up cues from the other musicians he's working with.

I'd say that goes for a good interviewer too -- that he has to be a good listener and pick up cues from his interview subject. In that regard, the interviewer let down his side. He was NOT picking up the cues Crosby was giving him, explicitly to move things along, and implicitly not to get into salacious areas (when first asked about Joni moving to Laurel Canyon with him, I hear him bristling so clearly that I can see it, so it WAS dumb of the interviewer to ask about Joni's later involvement with Graham). After the earlier warning in the interview, when the interviewer was meandering his way through posing that question, I was mentally (and futilely, of course) telling him "...that's the 3rd rail, buddy... I don't think you should be trying to touch that..." and of course, Crosby lets the guy have it.

Instead of blowing up, though, Crosby should have simply said "I'm out of here," and calmly stood up to stroll out. But that's not David Crosby, is it?

14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

‘So, Croz, was Joni as good as she looked?’

bubba-ho-tep and Hall Cat like this.
  15. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Genius? Really?

DavidD, Christian Hill and Darrin L. like this.
  16. coot

coot Forum Resident

yes really, as in seriously. Next time you might want to listen to The interview. It was the interviewers choice of words not mine. must be a millennial lol :biglaugh:

steve722 likes this.
  17. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I’m 52, do you think that I really care?

18. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I'd ask him about his sons his recent work the 90s stuff with Phil Collins and his overview of life ...maybe a few minutes on the Byrds and a couple of Grace Slick questions...

19. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Speaking of his JFK conspiracy theory monologue: What’s the significance of the STP fuel additive / oil logo sticker on the Gretsch?

ARK likes this.
  20. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member Thread Starter

“So Croz: Why couldn’t you go on as three? TRIAD!!”

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    ARK, Lost In The Flood and coot like this.
  21. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I'm with David Crosby on this one. That interviewer was inept, and had a truly tired set of questions. Crosby is in his late 70s, he's delivering truly inspired music, both albums and live shows...and we have to hear him get asked about Joni Mitchell AGAIN?!?

Yes, Crosby could have just held his tongue, walked out quietly, yada yada, but there comes a point when he should not have to suffer fools gladly. The journalist revealed his own unprofessionalism by airing Crosby's rant in its entirety on his s***** little podcast. IOW, that interviewer is trying to capitalize on Croz's rant to publicize the podcast. Ugh. Airing it after the fact feels like a TMZ ambush moment to me.

And FWIW, I am a former journalist who long, long ago interviewed Roger McGuinn (who was delightful, FWIW)...

milankey, zobalob, steve722 and 2 others like this.
  22. Well, to be fair, the interviewer was upfront about how they tend to do things chronologically and Crosby’s team agreed to that approach.

DavidD likes this.
  23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I love Croz, but I have a hard time supporting his behavior on this one. Hard to believe that he didn't know ahead of time how the interview was going to go, and even if not, the interviewer was attempting to cover his life for folks who don't know about it. And certainly knowing more about his life might make people more interested in seeing the movie. At this stage of his life, to not be able to handle an interview that he agreed to so that he can ultimately publicize himself and maybe make a little more money is unprofessional at the least. He could've stipulated the rules going in, or just not agreed to do it in the first place. By now he should know better.

24. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Crosby is right to be wondering though whether this is going to be a week by week summation of his career though. 30 minutes into a one hour interview and interviewer is still at the point of asking about Our House! At that rate it would have taken him 6 hours to get to Live Aid. 12 hours to ask about the famous Silent Night brawl in 2014.

25. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I respect your point of view.

My guess is that Crosby runs a fairly lean organization, and the PR team is probably a bit skeletal in nature. We sometimes think that these famous names are still followed by a huge entourage, but that isn't necessarily so. When I went to see the McGuinn/Hillman/Marty Stuart "Sweetheart 50th" show last year, the merchandise booth was staffed by Mrs. McGuinn and Mrs. Hillman. So we may be giving Crosby's PR team a bit more credit than they deserve about the depth of their planning and organization.

Yes, Crosby could have been nicer, more diplomatic, but he wasn't. And the podcast interviewer? He sounded like a rank amateur to me. Thus my sympathy for Croz and his reaction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.