David Crosby "Sky Trails"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

can't wait until its out in stores

The MEZ, Clanceman, zen and 2 others like this.
  2. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I've been really impressed with Crosby's recent music. Shame he's taken all this time to get his tihs together but it's a great time to be a Croz fan.
    My only complaints are that I wish he'd come to the UK for a short tour and he really should have a live crack at Lady Friend. If he and Nash ever patch things up I'd love to hear them sing that with Graham taking the top line or even if Croz could just sing and play the tune on his own on acoustic it'd be awesome. He hasn't played it for 50 years as far as I know and it's a masterpiece. First heard it about 35 years ago and it still kills me.
    Looking forward to Sky Trails...

The MEZ and zobalob like this.
  3. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Saw him tonight in Seattle. Absolutely transcendent performance. Met his keyboard player and vocalist Michelle Willis in the record store below the Neptune Theatre. I was a bumbling idiot, but she was very humble and kind. She's a monster musician and vocalist. Every member of Crosby's touring band is incredible. One of the best concerts I have ever seen. If this band is coming your way this year, go see them!!!!

4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

It would be great if he has some autographed copies available at the merch table. I've noticed that The Zombies, Chris Isaak and George Thorogood have signed copies of CDs for sale at their merch tables. This is a win/win situation for both the fan and the artist, because the artist doesn't have to shake unwashed hands or get coughed on when a fan with the flu wants to take a picture with them.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Strawberry Fields Forever

Strawberry Fields Forever Well-Known Member

Wow> Given the length of time between Crosby compositions/releases in the past this is amazingly prolific. Really look forward to getting a copy. Sounds great news!

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Just don't think Nash will be part of Crosby's music anymore..from what I've read he was tired of the csn greatest hits tours and didn't really like S or N anymore..so it goes

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

wrong, he has no beef whatsoever with stills, and he and nash have fought before....ever fight with your brother?

The MEZ, bonus and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. chrisblower

Definitely not what I read recently ... can't find what I read only recently but this will do

Rock legend David Crosby on Trump, activism and breaking up with Crosby, Stills & Nash

Q: Have you completely ruled out a future Crosby, Stills & Nash reunion?

A: I never say never. But I seriously doubt it.

and this

David Crosby Talks Solo Rebirth, End of CSN

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

10. chrisblower

Here it is

David Crosby Is “Happy All the Time” Away From Crosby, Stills and Nash

“I’m writing with other people all the time,” he says. “That’s one of the reasons I’ve been writing so much. Am I loving being able to form these two groups and guide them in the direction I want to go? Yeah, very much. I’m very proud of CSN. Crosby, Stills & Nash is a good band. We did some good work. But it had got to the point of turning on the smoke machine and playing our hits, and we don’t like each other, so it’s not fun.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sounds just like crosby has sounded for many many years, don't believe it, he (they) do this all the time.

The MEZ likes this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Nash comes across like a grumpy old man...I find that very boring. Get over yourself, Mr. Nash and lose the chip on your shoulder.

13. chrisblower

I do .. look at the way he responds to Peev playing a solo on Low Down Payment on (YT) .. never seen him do that to Stills playing in recent years.. and he's 76 in August

14. honzalong

honzalong Forum Resident

The MEZ likes this.
  15. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Saw him about a week ago..
    he made a joke that his Cds were on sale in the lobby and if you could please buy one
    because streaming isn't helping at all.

Had no idea the CD was exclusive.

Great show.

chrisblower likes this.
  16. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

It's not. Just hasn't been released yet through the usual channels.

Yayastone likes this.
  17. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The more I listen to "Sky Trails", the more I think it's becoming my favorite Crosby album, second only to "If I Could Only Remember My Name". It's really really really....really really good.

My Cros solo preferences:
    1. If I Could Only Remember My Name
    2. Sky Trails
    3. Croz
    4. Oh Yes I Can
    5. CPR (it might as well count as a solo Crosby album)
    6. Lighthouse
    7. Just Like Gravity
    8. Thousand Roads

The MEZ and Clanceman like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you left out all the live ones!

The MEZ likes this.
  19. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't rank live albums : )

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'wiltern' and 'cuesta college" are pretty darn good!

The MEZ, Greg Sheremet and vegafleet like this.
  21. chrisblower

Haven't seen a track listing yet.. Amelia is on it ? How many did he write or co-write ?

22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

according to this listing on eBay, here's the track listing:

She's Got To Be Somewhere
    Sky Trails
    Sell Me A Diamond
    Before Tomorrow Falls On Love
    Her IT's Almost Sunset
    Capitol
    Amelia
    Somebody Home
    Curved Air
    Home Free

DAVID CROSBY Sky Trails RARE LIMITED 2017 TOUR EDITION CD CPR | eBay

The MEZ and chrisblower like this.
  23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

{I see pghmusiclover posted while I was composing, so excuse double info.}

There are no writing credits on the CD sold at the shows.

It is a fairly simple digipack, cover image of a sitting child in silhouette looking up at some galaxy formation. Front cover text reads:

-- 2017 Tour Limited Edition --
    Sky Trails
    David Crosby

Back cover is the same galaxy image superimposed on an image of Croz wearing his knitted hat with the track listing, bar code and BMG (C) and (P) credits. Track listing is:

1. She's Got To Be Somewhere
    2. Sky Trails
    3. Sell Me A Diamond
    4. Before Tomorrow Falls On Love
    5. Here It's Almost Sunset
    6. Capitol
    7. Amelia
    8. Somebody Home
    9. Curved Air
    10. Home Free

Inside left photo is a zoomed in version of a guitar-playing Croz/galaxy image, and has the recording/mixing/mastering credits.

Inside right photo is a more distant version of the same guitar-playing Croz/galaxy image, and has Croz's and James Raymond's Thanks.

CD uses the same image again, and has the matrix:

S-673531 - 005 ~~~~ SKY TRAILS DAVID CROSBY (where ~~~~~ is used to indicate space)

My guess is that the official release (due in July according to the guy at the merch. booth) will come with a booklet with writing credits and lyrics, as is usual for Croz.

As others have written, the album is excellent, and highly recommended. The opening number is very reminiscent of Steely Dan, while other songs remind me of Blue Turtles/Nothing Like The Sun era Sting. If you like the CPR/solo Croz albums, I can't imagine that you would not like this.

Only minor criticism, while the album does sound good, it is a typical Bernie Grundman mastering, meaning that it is louder than it should be. It just seems unnecessary, and I wonder how good this could sound.

Talking of CPR, they were actually selling some CPR CDs at the show I saw last week in San Francisco (the merch. guy said that they found some in their warehouse, so, if you don't yet have them, grab them while you can!).

As for the current live band, it is stellar, and I envy those of you with upcoming shows -- I'd see them again in a heartbeat. Sadly, they are not recording and selling the shows on this tour as they have done in the past. Having seen CPR and Croz with Steve DiStanislao numerous times, I knew how good the bulk of the band could be, but the addition of the two new female members has made an already excellent band even better (6-part harmonies!). Michelle Willis is the more visible, as she shares co-lead vocal duties on a few songs, but it is the addition of Mai Agan which really caught my attention. She is very much from the school of 'Jaco', but still manages to remain in the background and not dominate a song, the way Jaco often did.

Hope this helps.

24. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Up to 7 bids and $50 on eBay now.

25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Love his last to albums! Can't wait for this one!

The MEZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.