David Crosby "Sky Trails"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

over the last 50 years or so i have gone round and round with who is my favorite of the 4.......i think now that crosby will be my all-time favorite.

seeing him in november in a 600 seat theater....$66. row 12 center.

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

3. pghmusiclover

This sounds so good! His version of Joni's "Amelia" is just lovely.

The MEZ, jlf and Hep Alien like this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i have question:

'sky trails" has been available at crosby's shows since spring, it comes in a digipak with the same cover as the one that shows on amazon. and according to amazon, the exact same 10 songs are on both.

so, why on earth did it take so long for it be officially released, it has obviously been ready for a long long time.

anyone know why these things take so long?

The MEZ, Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  5. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

Just a guess: David Crosby had direct access to his fan base to sell the CD at his live concerts, and increase his 'take' of the purchase price, vs. what a sale through amazon.com would have provided him. Good for him, that's simply smart business.

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that was my guess. either he was just increasing his profit or possibly there was a stipulation from the label that it wouldn't get released until close to 1 year after his last album. I think they are on different labels though but still

The MEZ and Hep Alien like this.
  7. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

That makes sense. He’s always on Twitter bemoaning how little money he makes these days...

8. signothetimes53

He might not have much money stashed away, what with his vicious drug addictions over a long period of time. I also doubt that he's selling a ton of any of his releases. When I attended his concert back in May here in Vermont, the things that were selling were shirts and hats. The CDs weren't exactly flying off the shelves, probably reflecting the modern realities of physical media's saleability.

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Come on. He's gotta making money in his sleep. He wrote songs with The Byrds and CSN. Or did he sell his publishing?

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. signothetimes53

I don't know, but if he did sell it, he'd have a lot of very famous company.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

He gave to some pusher the rights of 'Lee Shore'. How poetic...

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. The LP has been put back until mid October!

13. pghmusiclover

Really? As of right now, it's still listed on Amazon (US) as September 29th.

Has anyone else listened to the NPR stream? I'm just curious what others think about the music.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. It was 29th on Amazon UK but I just received a message to say it has been delayed! Maybe it's a different story in the US?

I have heard the NPR stream and I really like the album already after just 2 plays. It is quite jazz influenced though but most importantly he hasn't lost his own distinct sound and it's unmistakably Crosby. I think it will be a grower. What I like is how it is different to either of its immediate predecessors.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  15. pghmusiclover

16. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Say what you want about Crosby, he's highly opinionated and can be a jerk at times (as I can as well), but damn he makes fine albums.

Another winner, IMHO.

The MEZ, Clanceman, ash1 and 3 others like this.
  17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm trying to think of another artist whose name you couldn't accurately place in that sentence! :laugh:

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:blah:

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I heard him interviewed on NPR this morning. At first I thought they were talking to Christopher Cross. :)

Sigma6 and signothetimes53 like this.
  20. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Just to set the record straight, I really think that's poetic. No sarcasm involved.

21. signothetimes53

Now that's funny!

FWIW, I'm hardpressed to think of any musician ever who created such an impressive, creative body of new work at such an advanced age. I'm really, really blown away.

Humbuster likes this.
  22. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I may be mistaken, but I believe Nash purchased Crosby's publishing during the drug years and later gave and/ or sold it back to him once he got better.

signothetimes53 likes this.
  23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

for the record, i'm pretty sure that crosby does not consider marijuana to be a drug.

24. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

You would be correct, as he openly talks about still getting high on weed.

POGunter likes this.
  25. signothetimes53

Wow, that's thoughtful and generous if true.

But it also makes the recent falling-out that Crosby and Nash have had even more curious and sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.