David Crosby to re-record "If I Could Only Remember My Name" with Orchestra

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PhilBorder, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

He's made four studio albums in 5 years, in his 70's. Often, I'd agree with you, but I don't think it's true in this case.

He's talked about sort of facing his own mortality, and that being a prime motivator in staying busy and creative, and I think this is just another interesting project he can do to keep busy. I'm definitely intrigued.

Chrome_Head, The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

jeff does do his own interviews but I don't think he was involved in this article.

bzfgt likes this.
  3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Could be interesting for songs like "Tamalpias High," "Orleans," and "Song With No Words."

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'm actually a big fan of his writing. And I blasted the wrong site, I was thinking of another one of those classic=-rock type sites that's all recycling. Sorry!

bzfgt and davmar77 like this.
  5. filutek

filutek Forum Resident

The article seems a bit vague as to whether this is a remix in which an orchestra is being combined with the original vocals and elements of the original tracks or an entirely new recording. I can't say I would be very interested in the former. I thought the recent Elvis and Beach Boys orchestral albums were terrible. I do, however, like some of the symphonic re-recordings I have heard. I think the ones that were done by David (Dee) Palmer featuring orchestral versions of Jethro Tull, Genesis, and Yes were very effective. The Pink Floyd one, somewhat less so. This could be interesting to hear, but I would rather see Croz devote his energies to another regular solo album. The last few have been excellent.

Joti Cover and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Replacing Phil Lesh bass parts (tracks 2-5) with anything other than Phil Lesh bass parts doesn't strike me as a great idea.

JuanTCB, Davmoco and bzfgt like this.
  7. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Waited for Dylan to redo “Freewheelin’”

8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Ditto for the track with Jack Casady.

Though Lesh has orchestral experience. Why not bring him in?

Joti Cover, Matthew Tate and Archtop like this.
  9. I sure wish David Bowie had done some sort of big, orchestral project in his lifetime -- not unlike something like Peter Gabriel did, or even the one Sting did. Something with challenging and imaginative arrangements.

Potential red flag, sure. But not necessarily.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

:righton::wave:

11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I don't get the moaning.
    It sounds like an interesting idea that could turn out great, and the original is still in print.

12. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Whenever a great 60's artist records something new, there always seems to be a chorus of "he/she must need the money", especially when it is a reimagining of a classic. Doubtful, as Croz is quite a successful touring talent...where the money is; but he just seems to be driven to make music, not money anymore. And even then he doesn't rest on his laurels...having recorded four new albums in five years. Croz is on a creative tear. Go for it. Will love to hear it.

13. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Ain't it funny what getting off drugs can do for your productivity? :cool:

DTK, Matthew Tate and lemonade kid like this.
  14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

God, no. The best album he's put his name to. Leave it as it is, please...

15. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

What's the harm?

Although it's much more interesting if he re-records the vocals IMHO so it's a complete revisit/celebration of the original classic rather than some slapdash remix with an orchestra.

richierichie, DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

You think that'll be a problem for David Crosby ?
    Judging by his reputation I imagine that not only is he fully able to score a pretty incredible quantity of pot but it will also (and more importantly) be a pretty incredible quality of pot.
    I look forward to the album after this one which at his current rate is only months away. Keep at it Croz and don't try and get the Wombles back together. You'll be wasting your talents.

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If they are remixing from original tracks, Garcia is a keeper as well. But if they want to replace any of these guys with orchestra I am fine with that too. We will still have the first one.

18. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Up next, the lute album... ;)

19. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

20. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Sounds to me like it'll be Cros singing along to an orchestral score rather than an edit of the old album. It read to me like the guy used the term "remix" as a "re-imagining" rather than the way most of us use the term. Just my .02.

lemonade kid and beatleroadie like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

hmm could be interesting

The MEZ and DTK like this.
  22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I hope that's the case, and I think this is a perfectly viable project for a legacy artist to tackle. It could be really cool!

alamo54us, The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I love the original album so I'll definitely listen to this if it actually happens. That being said, I'm not really very optimistic that the results will be good. A lot of the album's magic came from the rough, dreamy sound provided by the PERRO, so replacing them could leave a lot lost in translation. I can't imagine "Cowboy Movie" or "What Are Their Names" retaining their odd sort of malice, or "Laughing" retaining its dark beauty. Another thing that poses a problem is the vocals. It would most likely sound really weird if they used the original vocals and I doubt a new set of vocals would really capture the album's vibe.

Matthew Tate and rockclassics like this.
  24. It will be interesting to hear if they pull this off successfully. I'm not going to condemn this noble effort out of hand, but I am skeptical. The Metropole Orkest- described as a combination jazz big band and synmphony orchestra- has 52 pieces. Metropole Orkest - Wikipedia

The larger the orchestra, the harder it is to get the focus and dynamics required for an instrumental arrangement of this music. So much of the music on the record often turns on a single note in the foreground, often against a backdrop of near-silence. I think a smaller ensemble- somewhere between four and nice pieces- might be more appropriate. In any case, nothing to lose by trying...

bzfgt likes this.
  25. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Metropole Orkest did a project with Snarky Puppy, so that explains the connection. Crosby appeared on at least one of the SP albums and their leader, Michael League, plays in Crosby's Lighthouse band.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.