David Crosby Wants A CSNY Reunion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Regarding Crosby’s recent output, am I the only person who isn’t impressed? Just seems like a bunch of smooth jazz with bad lyrics to me.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

:shake:

AppleCorp3, vegafleet and somnar like this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I like them.

My go-to Crosby solo albums are Oh Yes I Can and Thousand Roads and I don't think any of the recent albums are quite as good as those/

I agree that they're light and to be honest, I'm not much of a lyrics person so you might well be right about those but at the end of a hard day's work, with a decent glass of beer, they just hit the spot.

However, if they're not for you, they're not for you. :)

Davmoco, The MEZ, Grow Fins and 2 others like this.
  4. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

:tsk:

vegafleet and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

It's slightly "jazzy", I guess, but it's not jazz. It's smooth, I give you that. But I don't hear any "smooth jazz" here. I generally don't pay that much attention to lyrics, but none of them here have stuck me as objectionable.

Davmoco, carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Not in my opinion.
    I’m not fond of having to go thru pages of unrelated posts to get to the subject at hand.
    It gets tiresome after a while.

7. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I think there were only 4 such posts, all on the same page.

carlwm likes this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Each to their own.

I've discovered some fascinating stuff in threads that have wandered.

9. purple-lazy

purple-lazy Forum Resident

The only one I've heard, "Croz", didn't do anything for me. Maybe because of raised expectations after hearing good things? Too smooth for me too.

polk and Tommy Jay like this.
  10. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

For me, Croz is the weakest of his recent albums. And each subsequent one surpasses the one before, culminating with Here If You Listen, which I think is brilliant. As to the genre, I don't hear any smooth jazz there. It's something altogether unique.

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I think "Croz" is a very solid album, and ironically, more cohesive, melodic, and satisfying than some of Young's recent output. When "Croz" was first released, I suspect a lot of fans were surprised that he still had it in him to produce something of such substance.

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

If anything approaches that territory, it was a few songs on 2017's Sky Trails, and some of the Steely Dan-esque stuff on there like the opening cut. I don't remember anything on Lighthouse sounding like that.

On the new album, "Janet" approaches that territory as well, but nothing else on there is like that (and that song was actually brought in by Michelle Willis I believe, the first and only song they had when they went into the studio to record Here If You Listen, as Crosby tells it).

Matthew Tate and The MEZ like this.
  13. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

I've also heard him say "Your Own Ride" has been around for 10 years or so.

Matthew Tate and Chrome_Head like this.
  14. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I think it’s time for the old guard to stand down from touring. All the acts from the 60’s are in their 70’s and close upon their 80’s. To me, it’s the best music ever made and my collection of music shows this point. The notes will be hard to hit and there will be more “off” nights than “on”. Kiss coming to the end of the road is a good example of that. It’s their right to tour and if they continue, good on them. However, I wouldn’t want my fans last memory of seeing me live be an out of tune, partially pre recorded greatest hits package. Crosby is one of the many few to make good music this late in his career. If he got on stage with the rest of the guys, how much would he have to overcompensate to make up for the others? Just my .02 cents but if a reunion does happen, I hope it’s better than my expectations.

Humbuster likes this.
  15. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I saw Elton this past weekend and he killed it - amazing energy and chops. True his voice is different but its still good.

footlooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

17. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Only in for a CSNY tour if they focus on songs they never play together, like...

- Hero
    - Spanish Suite
    - Innocent Eyes
    - Sample & Hold

Make it happen!

Matthew Tate, carlwm and The MEZ like this.
  18. JackS

JackS Then Play On

Pulled out Thousand Roads yesterday.
    Got to song #4 and had to move on.
    If the new stuff can't meet that standard, I am glad that I don't have to look into it.
    He is coming to the area in the next few months and I plan on saving that money as well.
    Thank God for "If Only I Could Remember My Name", as is.

carlwm likes this.
  19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'll test your theory at the opening date of the Mott The Hoople tour. Not disagreeing with you, but there are always exceptions. Ian Hunter seems to be one.

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I consider Thousand Roads his worst solo effort and his last 4 all closer to the quality of IICORMN than to that of Thousand Roads

To come up with the last artist I believe released 4 consecutive albums of this quality within 5 years - I would likely have to go back to either
    - Mid 70s Joni Mitchell.
    (Court, Hissing, Hejira and Don Juan), or
    - Mid 70s Jackson Browne
    (For Everyman, Late For The Sky, Pretender, Running On Empty)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  21. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

On the contrary - I was pleasantly surprised with how vibrant and relevant Lighthouse is. *shrugs*

Chrome_Head, Matthew Tate and The MEZ like this.
  22. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

well the later croz definitely has that 'jazz fusion pop' thing going on and some people just don't like that; he is quite vocal about thinking steely dan is the be all and end all of rock music, not surprising; but if you can handle it, i think it's a very fine example of the style and a surprise from a guy who i never liked that much to begin with, finding myself finally liking him a lot at this late date.

Matthew Tate and bonus like this.
  23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I wonder if Crosby would ever consider releasing a live album from a recent tour? I would buy it in a second if it was from one of his Sky Trails tours.

24. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Be foolish not to. Do 'Almost Cut My Hair', 'Cowboy Movie' and 'Long Time Gone' mixed in with the best tunes from the recent albums = WINNING.

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Honestly I only hear a Jazz/Steely Dan influence on an average of 1 or 2 songs on each of these 4 - mostly those composed at least in part by his son James Raymond

Except to the extent that Crosby's originals, dating back to the Byrds, have always tended to feature a fair number of extended chords that are rarely used in pop/rock music - but in that respect he may have been as much an influence on Steely Dan as the other way around.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.