David Crosby Wants A CSNY Reunion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siebrand

siebrand music lover

I had a dream.....
    Come on guys...
    Make us happy again!

The MEZ likes this.
  2. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Deja Vu Live once again please , the time is right.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

He was doing "Deja vu" on his last tour, with the Lighthouse band, with extended solos. Totally awesome. Michael League is a monster.

And frankly, the show put the last CSNY arena gig I saw to shame in every respect.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Chrome_Head and toddfan like this.
  4. MIKEPR

MIKEPR Forum Resident

I don't know bout any issues concerning the 4 of them but I know David has been troubled through the years.

As many know he was with The Byrds and though I've heard he left I've also read he was fired.

And of course he had a drug and alcohol problem for a good portion of his life.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I really like Thousand Roads. That and Oh Yes I Can are the Crosby solo albums I play most.

jammincrowe, The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

I would pay money just to see them do a Neil trifecta of Sample and Hold, T-Bone and Piece of Crap!

Fullbug, ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Crosby, Hillman, & McGuinn

The MEZ and melstapler like this.
  8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I've always been curious about how Neil could just leave the Stills-Young tour. Hard to imagine promoters allowing that kind of latitude - basically "yeah I won't show up if I don't feel like it" - but since there didnlt seem to be any legal fallout I guess he got away with it. Couldn't see why Stills just didn't cancel the tour, unless he had a different legal obligation.

Matthew Tate, RockRoom and The MEZ like this.
  9. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

He was fired.

10. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Neil’s left a lot of situations that are surprising!

As for legal ramifications, I’m pretty sure the late 1976 tour with Crazy Horse was in part a make up call with promoters burned from the Still Young disaster. That’s what I’ve read anyway.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I attended a Stills-Young Band show in Cleveland and listened to the Providence show the other night. I can see why Neil was miserable, they were making miserable music.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Just look at the cover of "Notorious Byrd Bros." Hillman, McGuinn & Clarke...and a horse. Crosby didn't show for the photo shoot, so McGuinn used a horse instead - although originally it was supposed to be the horse's ass - but Columbia wouldn't allow that, so we have the head of the horse instead of the absent David.

13. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I saw the "David Crosby and Friends" show in an intimate theater in Milwaukee last week and I'd rather see that than CSNY from the nosebleeds for twice the price. The show was fantastic!

Grow Fins, Joti Cover, carlwm and 6 others like this.
  14. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

This is a bit apocryphal as Crosby had already left / been ousted by the time of this cover shoot. I've heard different things about the horse, from the supposed quote from McGuinn that it's not supposed to represent Crosby, because if it was, they'd shoot it from the rear, to Hillman telling someone who brought him a NBB record to be signed that it was indeed supposed to represent Crosby.

oldjollymon likes this.
  15. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

You state all of this as if it were established fact, when it is not. The "didn't show up for the shoot" part is definitely wrong. He was indeed gone from the band by the time of the shoot.

Chrome_Head's post is more accurate.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

he may need to beg, borrow or steal...LOL... too bad they just can't just do it! Is there that much animosity?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. AdmiralHarrimanNelson

AdmiralHarrimanNelson Forum Resident

I'm surprised Gene Clark never got physical with Crosby.

18. The newer stuff (all of it) is SOO much better than Thousand Roads. Might was well be a whole different artist.

Autotune Sucks and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. And he would be right. That's the highest level. Above The Beatles for me.

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

He didn't, but Jim Dickson did. If I'm remembering correctly, he pinned him to the ground when he was being particularly obnoxious.

21. AdmiralHarrimanNelson

AdmiralHarrimanNelson Forum Resident

Michael Clarke also punched (or slapped) Crosby in the face.

Crosby also sucker-punched Dickson while Clark was holding Dickson back.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I really like the new stuff (though I think there has been a slight sense diminishing returns since Croz) but I dearly love Thousand Roads. It's an anomaly in his catalogue, given how little of the writing he was involved with but the songs, I feel, were particularly well chosen to suit his voice and there's a serene beauty about the whole record.

As I said earlier in the thread, it's still my go-to Croz solo work.

milankey and jammincrowe like this.
  23. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

Well, nothing about that period is "established fact", especially not with that bunch. However, that's how I remember it at the time, true or not. Then there's this:

"Other accounts of that occasion maintains that Michael Clarke’s horse had wandered over and poked its head through the remaining window on its own, and Webster thought the happenstance made for an interesting shot. Either way, the finished LP sleeve featured a picture of three Byrds and a horse, and David Crosby was insistent that the equine image was no coincidence, exclaiming in a 1980 interview with Byrds biographer Johnny Rogan: “An accident? An accident! … Do you believe that? It’s ********. You know it is. You know why [McGuinn] did it.” As McGuinn later noted, “If we had intended to do that, we would have turned the horse around.”

The debate over the horse’s meaning (or lack thereof) continued for several more years. The original five Byrds reformed to record an album (for which David Crosby served as producer) in 1972, and five years later Roger McGuinn mentioned in an interview that, during the recording of that reunion album, “[Crosby] stated as a joke, but I believe he meant it, that he wanted to put everyone on the cover except me and wanted to put a horse in my place.”

When informed of Roger McGuinn’s remark some years later, David Crosby (a famously unreliable interview subject) denied he had said any such thing, even as a joke: “I didn’t say it. Never. That’s [McGuinn’s] style, not mine. That particular ‘joke’ was not funny to me, and I wouldn’t have said that to him. I didn’t, and I wouldn’t have anything to do with it. McGuinn I think was paranoid because he had done it, and I hope he was ashamed of himself.”

Some arguments are just too good to ever be settled."

Chrome_Head likes this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Amen.

ash1, overdrivethree and lazydawg58 like this.
  25. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the "there will never be a reunion" declaration based on a final straw of Crosby making a remark about Neil Young taking up with Daryl Hannah? Something to the affect that she was a cancer on any man that took up with her? Granted it was sticking his nose into something that was none of his business, but isn't that a pretty accurate observation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.