David Crosby Wants A CSNY Reunion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

But, what if it's good?
    Do we need a new album from anybody?

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If they are going to do it, it will almost certainly happen in time for Woodstock 50, which would almost certainly provide the biggest payday they ever could make.

A CSNY reunion would really make them the only intact original band available to play the fest (along with solo artists Baez and Guthrie), and they had the hit with the title track.

3. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

What they ought to do is push for a CSN, CSNY, Buffalo Springfield, Hollies, Byrds (have I missed anyone?) Woodstock appearance.

4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

It seems David is singing for his supper these days. Here’s a link to a 2013 article in which he says he’s broke and he won’t make money on his then current tour. He has made some of the best music of his life the past few years it’s a shame he can’t make real money doing it. I just can’t see CSNY reuniting although stranger things have happened.

David Crosby says he has health but no wealth

telecode101 likes this.
  5. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Didn't one publicly state they'd never play with the other again?

6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

A lot of people find it easy to hate Crosby. Maybe I haven't read enough of the negative about him (though I did read his first autobiography), but he has always seemed sincere when the talk is about the music. He has expressed an honest desire to make music again with McGuinn and Hillman for decades now, and for me it's been 100 percent McGuinn who has stood in the way of this.

So I'm not ready to write this off so easily. In addition, there has never been a truly great CSNY album (and yes, I'm including Deja Vu in this assessment — some good moments, yes, but not great as an overall album). Why not set all egos aside, bring the very best material you've got, and resolve to complete your legacy on the highest of notes? Why not go into it with eyes wide open about all the possible pitfalls (God knows they must have learned something by now) and vow to not fall victim to them again?

7. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Agreed.

Sandinista likes this.
  8. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think this is the right answer; they may not have another two years to make some worthwile music together

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Yes, Nash did. But see this post.

MYQ1 likes this.
  10. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Why would anyone expect them to all act like adults NOW?

11. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I think a Crosby, Stills and Nash reunion would make more sense that a Byrds or CSNY reunion at this point.

Sneaky Pete and reb like this.
  12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I'll be amazed if it is.

Harsh truth: CSN was never a consistent outfit where songwriting was concerned and all their studio albums - with the exception of 'the boat album' - are patchy, I'd say.

13. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

That was SIX years and three or four albums ago, mate. Think Crosby’s financial circumstances are likely better now than then.

RubenH likes this.
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I saw the last CSNY performance. It was terrible. Don’t need any more.

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'm sure he has made some money on his tours, but doubt he has made much off the albums. They likely have gotten more people to come out to his shows though and profited him that way. But as a transplant recipient he likely has very high medical expenses and one cannot be sure whether his tour earnings are significantly more than his cost of (literally) living

SRC and Sneaky Pete like this.
  16. Based on what I paid for a ticket to see him they must be.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I hope so, but he surely isn’t playing large arenas and touring is expensive and so is recording. But I think he’s been recording his albums with his son in a home studio. Many of us here seem to have bought them, so that’s good news.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think Santana has already signed on. They're all there except David Brown.

And Melanie is still active, I believe.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It won't be reunion Santana, that's come and gone.

20. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

That would be like ABBA reuniting.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Santana is current Santana. And I believe they are at Bethel woods, which will be a much smaller event as it is a typical sized ampitheater

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That's too bad. I really like the reunion album.

Rfreeman likes this.
  23. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The "couch album" is patchy? I prefer it over the "boat album" (and Deja Vu, for that matter).

Incamera, piepants, Tingman and 7 others like this.
  24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Crosby is viewed negatively by numerous people, who have interacted with him at various points during his career. Tales abound of his rampant egotism, propensity for self-sabotage and general disorderliness.

For all that, he's my favourite Byrd and my favourite member of CSN (maybe it's because we're both Leos!). I love his harmony singing and I think he's an underrated songwriter (he's come out with some weird stuff - I even like Mind Gardens).

The reasons McGuinn and Hillman have no truck with him have to do with ethics/religion and politics, from what I can understand. As conservative Christians, they will not collaborate with a man whom they regard as a 'sinner', however cordial their public relations with him may be. And I have a feeling that some memories - even 50+ year old memories - die hard.

As to his financial position: I"m not sure that can have improved, given that his recent albums, though excellent, can't have sold by the truckload. His father was a very successful Hollywood cinematographer. Does he have no inherited wealth, or did it blow it all during the freebase years?

mtvgeneration and Jet Age Eric like this.
  25. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes, I'm afraid I think the couch album isn't quite as great as it's cracked up to be. The (very) high points tend to overshadow the lesser tracks (which I'd consider to be Lady Of The Island, 49 Bye Byes and Long Time Gone) and the striking harmonies cover up a couple of very ordinary songs. Imo!

I think the boat album is stronger from a songwriting point of view. I think Nash certainly peaked as a songwriter on that one and Stills and Crosby both make some great contributions. It feels more like an equal effort than their other albums, to my ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.