David Crosby Wants A CSNY Reunion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I understood that his (very wealthy) Rodeo Drive resident friends paid/pay for a lot of his medical expenses, though he's done his best to alienate several of them in recent years.

2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Agreed on many counts. "Why," "I See You," "What's Happening?!?!" "Renaissance Fair," "Everybody's Been Burned," "Tribal Gathering," "Dolphin's Smile" — all great (or at least very good) songs. And The Byrds would have never been The Byrds without his unique harmonies. David wrote lots of good stuff on his solo album and some on CSN(Y). I think where David went wrong is when he imagined he was some kind of soul singer. That doesn't play to his strengths.

Hillman actually has worked with Crosby on occasion. Though he, like McGuinn, is a Christian, he's a different flavor of it, and has not let religion stand in the way. It's McGuinn who has consistently done this, and specifically stated this is why he can't/won't work with Crosby. That's his choice; I find it rather deplorable.

That's likely. You would think he would still have a somewhat steady income from songwriting royalties, but we can only speculate as to his overall financial status. Someone else mentioned continuing medical expenses; I'm sure that factors into things. And we have no idea if he's accustomed to an opulent lifestyle or lives more frugally these days.

3. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Personally I think a Crosby Nash tour and possible album makes more sense than a CSN or CSNY re-union. Croz needs to patch it up with Nash more than anybody before it's too late. And Nash would be able to add harmony to the brilliant new material no problem.

Jarleboy, Matthew Tate and ronbow like this.
  4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware that Hillman had worked with Crosby post-1973.

I read once (it might have been on here) that McGuinn's principal 'ethical objection' to working with Crosby was over the ....ahem....'helping hand' Crosby extended to Melissa Etheridge.

bluejimbop likes this.
  5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I could see them pulling together a CSN reunion later this year. For a record or at least a few new songs.

As for Neil? Nah I don't think he's going to be joining in.

Matthew Tate and reb like this.
  6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

CSN toured in 2014. (And they were great.)

7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I am a huge CSN(Y) fan and have seen them live many times.
    I'm not such a fan that I am uncritical of them, however.
    "Live It Up", "American Dream", "After The Storm" are all substandard, but do contain some great songs hidden under the bizarre 'Of-The-Times' production values and weak songs. I only played "Looking Forward" a few times, and don't remember any of it.
    I think they actually can make a good album today, seeing that Nash and Croz have proven their songwriting is stronger than in the last 2 decades. Provided Stills is healthy enough. His voice is shot, but I think he plays well still. Neil..........is Neil............!
    I'd like to think they're not worried about saving their "best" material for the solo LPS because all 4 have proven their talent in the last 50 years.
    Hopefully they might try to make a new album dealing with their lives, and ours, as they are now. They are totally capable of doing this if they thought it was important. If they don't, we have 50 years of remarkable, personal music of varying degrees we can listen to at any time.

PS:
    As usual, the same members post willfully ignorant and hateful replies.
    It's not always about "cash grab". (I wish that term would be banned here)

8. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

If CSN&Y put out a new album, they should call it either "Déjà Vu All Over Again" or perhaps as the French say, "Already Seen".... :)

Matthew Tate and Sneaky Pete like this.
  9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

A new live album that has a few reworking of classic hits, a few deep cuts, and a few brand new songs could be really nice. Then studio versions of the new songs could be bonus tracks.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Yeah I never got all the hate that's dumped on Crosby. Everything I've seen of him, post-rehab, he's a straight-talking, honest person. Perhaps people think he's being disrespectful? He strikes me as one of those guys who conveys respect through brutal honesty.

I read Nash's book en route to SXSW a few years back - that was oddly fitting. Anyway, he strikes me as such a pie-in-the-sky hippie turned yacht rocker that I wonder how Crosby put up with *him.* Those guys all had their addictions, but Nash always frames it in the most melodramatic terms possible. "We love each other, man. And it's about the music. They're always my brothers, man...."

11. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

And I believe it was one of the top grossing tours that year. That’s one of the reasons it’s hard to believe Crosby is “broke” in the ordinary joe average sense of the word.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Matthew Tate and anth67 like this.
  12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I think people have such strong memories of PRE-REHAB Crosby that they would need to take a massive leap of faith to believe he's not the same person.

Jim Dickson (Byrds manager) had some scarifying tales to tell of just how difficult Crosby was in the 60s. From what I can gather McGuinn is, and always has been, an extremely cold fish but I'm amazed anyone could have put up with Crosby for as long as he did back then. Then later, with CSNY superstardom , things only got worse as hard drugs and firearms entered the picture. I've no doubt he was somewhat scary person to be around in that timeframe.

Earscape and Sneaky Pete like this.
  13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

If they do another live album, they should name it "Four Corners"

[​IMG]

ARK and Fullbug like this.
  14. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I hope a reunion happens, as I always like to see dear friends reconcile.

ARK, Jarleboy, RockRoom and 1 other person like this.
  15. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Even if there is a reunion, it would be delusional to book Alpine Valley, United Center, etc. Those days have passed.

16. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

He did have that road accident which hit him hard financially I believe.

17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

To be fair, Crosby has stated of his time in The Byrds "If I was them, I would have fired me back then too." That, coupled with his statements in the most recent interview cited, leads me to believe he has at least some insight into his past sins.

Someone asked "Why would they all be any different now?" And I don't know — you'd think the normal person would realize that none of them have a lot of time left, and it could be their last shot at, as I said earlier, reclaiming a certain part of their legacy and rehabilitating the past.

But I also realize these aren't necessarily normal people you're talking about. It would kind of pitiful, though, if Crosby kicks it and Nash shows up at his funeral deep in the throes of regret. Why not instead sit down together like grown men and hash things out?

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

Didn't know that about them. I find it hard to stomach that "holier-than-thou" attitude.

19. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Meh. Given the quality of the albums they made the last two times they reunited, I think Croz is better off solo. His solo output over the past 20 years has, to my ears, exceeded the quality of the other three guys'.

A live tour would be fine, though, as long as it doesn't become a way of promoting one guy's solo work (as the 2006 tour did) but instead takes its cue from the 1974 tour in terms of drawing upon the work of all members equally, both together and apart.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I can't help thinking that going on twitter was one of the worst things Crosby ever did. He is one of those people who can do limitless damage by publicly transmitting his 'spontaneous, unmediated' thoughts. I believe he upset both Nash and Young in this way.

I'd agree that they ought to be able to put the past in perspective (the way Stills and Young seem to have done, for keeps) but, as you say, these are not 'normal' people.

21. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Guess doing his own music and playing with his son aint enough in 2019.

Fact is, if he was serious he'd be talking to Nash, and not pining away in the press.
    Its a gutless way of saying Im opening to fleecing your children well, one more time...

22. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

That's a great album cover right there. Make it a live album with tracks recorded in those four states and it would be a pretty cool project.

Jarleboy and gregorya like this.
  23. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Sills should get some kind of patience award for putting up with how many times NY has bailed on him: from the Buffalo Springfield, Stills Young to the last Springfield non-tour.

24. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

It seems that Crosby is no longer mad at Nash over Wild Tales, which never made much sense to me anyway. If the problem was Nash's characterization of Crosby's drug abuse, I really thought that it was old news, and that Crosby had spoke of those matters just as severely as Nash. I'm unclear about why Nash is angry at Crosby. Nash has always been more absolute about his feelings regarding CSNY. But then he eventually softens.

I have lost track, but I'm hoping that Crosby didn't say anything about Nash's divorce.

We know he spoke about Neil's divorce, and that caused the rift with Neil.

It seems that Crosby's comments about the other's life decisions have resonated in a way that was much more profound than things like drug abuse, removing vocals from master tapes, and the other ego-trip stuff those guys are known for. Crosby criticized Neil's choice of partner, and thus Neil, and made public an emotional drama that I assume Neil would have preferred stay slightly less public.

Crosby went personal. Whereas, it seems that the differences in the past were within the confines of their musical work.

I would like to see those guys do something, but they are so different now. Crosby is into his fusion stuff with his son and Michael League. Nash is mostly the same. Stills doesn't seem to be writing much, and his voice certainly hasn't improved. Neil is just confusing right now. I have no idea what he's capable of these days.

Other than performing "Woodstock" and "Our House", those four guys don't seem to belong together.

Mooserfan and Norbert Becker like this.
  25. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Yes please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.