David Gilmour new album Luck And Strange 6 September 2024 + live shows

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrCJF, Apr 8, 2022.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Can he still sing those high notes?

JulesRules likes this.
  2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

By this point who knows if he's even gonna do a tour.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

He would sell 1/5th the tickets if he only played solo material. And I like most of his solo stuff, but that's just the truth.

I've never seen any member of Pink Floyd, I'd absolutely do what it took to see him next year if he toured, hopefully.

BeatleJWOL and PH416156 like this.
  4. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

[​IMG]
    that board looks like it's from the 60s.

[​IMG]

Adam Betts

[​IMG]

Tom Herbert

I'm not familiar with who Adam Betts and Tom Herbert are...
    but am thrilled that David is working on something.

I flew in both 2006 and 2016 to be at 5 shows, and I wouldn't mind one bit if he only played solo-album stuff. :uhhuh:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  5. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Best chance for Dogs to be played live was on the 2015-16 tour in the place of Echoes, which he removed from the set list after Rick’s passing. I don’t think it’s a track that David is particularly fond of and so we may never hear him sing that live again.

J_D__, madsurfer, JulesRules and 4 others like this.
  6. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Been following Polly’s Insta account and looking forward to the upcoming album.

J_D__, Elliottmarx, SteveFff and 3 others like this.
  7. TurnerTrunk444

TurnerTrunk444 Well "Moo" To You Too!

If David does a thing, and his guitar also goes ding, I'm there like a juicy pear.

bobloblaw, Maurice, MrCJF and 3 others like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Seems to be. Gives some EMI Studios vibe.^^

9. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

A desk from an EMI studio similar to the one used for Sgt.Pepper. This is at British Grove (Mark Knopfler’s studio).

supernaut, J_D__, Geordiepete and 5 others like this.
  10. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

he couldnt even hit them on the 1977 tour. his vocals on that tour on dogs dont compare to the studio version.

mando_dan, J_D__ and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

He could re-arrange the song by lowering the chords/key maybe. Anyway, too bad we won't see him doing some Animals track live.

NunoBento and pinkrudy like this.
  12. Oatsy

Oatsy a wind in the willows is the sound

Depending on what your fave Gilmour music is, his space rock from early Floyd or his plodding post-floyd mid-tempo adult rock, rather than wait years for new music you might try Hawkwind. Their latest The Future Never Waits is fantastic music, lots of Floyd-like passages and that sort of thing. It’s incredibly sonic and incredibly inspired and fun and exciting!

13. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

New photo from Polly: DG with (producer) Charlie Andrew.
    Polly Samson on Instagram: "DG and Charlie Andrew"

Fun fact about Andrew: according to Wiki, while at Abbey Road he worked on numerous projects including The Wall (Roger Waters Live In Berlin). :D

ARK, St. Troy, croquetlawns and 2 others like this.
  14. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

And now Steve Gadd on drums posted by Polly. Interesting for sure.

JulesRules, LarsO and The Bishop like this.
  15. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake. Thread Starter

According to Polly "The desk was made before I was"
    and according to one reply, it is in Mark Knopfler's studio.

So are these sessions for a Knopfler project or a Gilmour project?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I’ve not been that impressed with a lot of Hawkwind post Levitation, but I’ll definitely give this a try.

Oatsy likes this.
  17. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Definitely. I’ll look forward to that combination, for sure.

supernaut likes this.
  18. Brian Imig

Brian Imig Forum Resident

I propose a residency at The Sphere with David Gilmour / The Orb & David Gilmour / Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets.

ARK, supernaut, Jsturges and 4 others like this.
  19. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Hope he gets good co-writers, he struggles on his own as evidenced by his solo albums.

mando_dan likes this.
  20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

British Grove is a working studio for hire, the Rolling Stones recorded Blue & Lonesome there to name just one example. No reason to suspect Knopfler is involved (though he might well be) other than as the studio's owner

One bittersweet Pink Floyd-related fact is that one of the last times Richard Wright was in a recording studio (if not the very last) was there in 2008 to record the "missing piano" for the 5.1 mix of Wish You Were Here

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
    JulesRules, J_D__, MrCJF and 2 others like this.
  21. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Before the flames, I do love David Gilmour as an artist. He is in my top 5 vocalists. Although our religious, philosophical and political views differ, I can, and do, listen to The Floyd day after day, year after year. That said…

Can Robert Plant still sing Stairway To Heaven? That would be a resounding NO! Gilmour will be 78 years old in 2024. He has his wife, 8 children and I’m unsure on the grandchildren count.

Why are you spending time on the road away from your family? (Even if your wife and maybe a child tour with you.). Or just relaxing. Or working on a hobby at your leisure , including recording or guest recording?

Gilmour isn’t a narcissist or megalomaniac like another previous member of The Floyd. The ROI just doesn’t seem to be there. Can’t be the money and can’t be his legacy. As Gilmour himself said after TDSOTM hit it big and made them all wealthy, exactly what are you in it for?

This! I’d say 1/15 of the tickets, especially in the States. During his last tour in 2015 & 2016 he hit only 3 metro areas: LA, Chicago and NYC. Compare that tour with tours of the past (solo and especially Pink Floyd.)

Also the 2015/16 world tour hit only major cities and one, maybe two cities per European and South American countries. I’m not paying airfare, lodging, transportation and obscene ticket prices to see new material. But hey, that’s me, and I know I’m not the only one.

What, and whos music are they playing? If it’s solo Gilmour & Mason’s ASFOS show; combined with the staggering ticket prices at the Sphere, it may become the shortest residency in Vegas history.

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Still salty about this. None of those were cheap places to hit. My wife and & are both huge Gilmour fans and want to see him, but also can't spend an entire mortgage payment on one show.

mando_dan, MrCJF and daca like this.
  23. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

For 2024 it looks like we might get a new album from each of these old stars:

David Gilmour
    Paul McCartney
    Bob Dylan
    Mark Knopfler

24. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

David and Nick playing the Saucerful of Secrets setlist on The Sphere would be phenomenal. I actually woudn't care about The Sphere, just them playing together that setlist somewhere would be magical.

25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Have you heard the new stuff. How do you know if it’s any good?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023