David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Gilmour hasn't performed "Dogs" or ANYTHING from Animals since the final Animals show (Montreal '77) .... (right?)

Also, he never returned to "Young Lust" after his final WALL show in '81 .

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Would’ve loved to see Dogs performed in the last tour as centerpiece of Part 2.....David doesn’t seem to be as fond of Animals as Roger :(

3. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

Off topic but really nowhere else to put it (it's not worth a new thread):

Apropos to nothing I had a thought a few days ago regarding Led Zep and Pink Floyd (sparked by watching a short edited version of Gilmour’s Pompeii concert on BBC2). Gilmour and Waters both tour large venues and play a lot of PF material. Why doesn’t Page tour his old songs? He could be doing similar sized shows as Gilmour and Waters under his own name. Imagine say 90mins of LZ songs, 30mins of post-LZ material and then a 30min encore of LZ songs (like Waters did with his setlists circa 2000).

The obvious problem is that Gilmour and Waters sing while Page doesn’t. The general public care far more for singers than for people who play instruments. Page is such a flashy guitarist who doesn’t hide low down in the mix so I can’t imagine that affecting ticket sales too much. His presence will be front and centre.

As for the big Plant shaped hole, I think there’s many solutions. I think the main thing being to not try and duplicate Plant by having the one male singer. Would anyone really complain if he toured with multiple singers? Or he could use a female singer. As long he doesn’t have one male singer filling in for Plant then he’d probably get away with it. He could be touring as Jimmy Page and doing Gilmour/Waters sized business without threatening the reputation of his old band. Just a thought.

---------------------

PS Gilmour’s Pompeii concert: It was crap. The 60min edit relied very heavily on post-Waters material and frankly it’s pretty weak, turgid stuff.

Comfortably Numb was butchered by the keyboard player who sang the doctor parts. Waters technically iffy singing has so much character while he had none.

I understand why Echoes isn’t played out of respect for Wright but to perform Pompeii and not to include it seems to defeat the point somewhat.

Also they had a male backing singer mingled in with the women which I found distracting.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    budwhite likes this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Yes your post is off topic. You should consider starting a thread with the discussion about Jimmy Page touring as it really has no relevance in this thread. Either that or post your thoughts in a Jimmy Page related thread. Now there's a thought ;).

As far as the Pompeii concert being "crap" it's your opinion in which you're certainly entitled to post. I don't see it as "crap" at all and enjoyed the entire show from the Blu-ray not an edited version. Did you expect David Gilmour to play a bunch of Waters songs and not his own solo and post waters Pink Floyd songs? To state why Echoes wasn't played then to question why it wasn't played makes absolutely no sense IMO. I can't imagine how badly you would have criticized Greg Phillinganes playing if Echoes was played ;).

I saw David Gilmour's and Roger Waters' most recent tour concerts and enjoyed both immensely. Both shows were different in content and presentation. Was one better than the other? Not really but that's what's great about these two iconic musical legends :).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  5. Fifth-Chord

Fifth-Chord VG+

Placed a pre-order for the LP box set on 7/21. The official DG store redirected me to Amazon. It arrived safely on 9/28.

As you all know, the design and materials are consistent with Rattle That Lock and Endless River, a matte finish with a soft texture and booklet...fantastic quality. I didn't detect any factory defects on the LPs. Playback was incredible. Sounded excellent to me and the audience levels did not distract from the music. I'm glad I picked this up as I missed out on P.U.L.S.E. and Gdansk.

My wife and I also enjoyed attending the limited theater release. I was really excited to see Gilmour at Pompeii again as I have immersed myself into the original film many times. 4K resolution was flawless, editing was spot on and the sound quality was there but I was dying for a remote control to adjust the speaker levels, especially the center speaker. The theater audience engaged in the film with some 'ooos' and 'ahhhs' and even applauded at the end which enhanced the experience.

6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

The only sentence from your post that I can use :confused:

7. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

I wonder if he's ever, in his private life or out of public anyway, gone back and strummed those four intro/verse chords from "Dogs" and thought "hmmmm, that really was a lovely progression ... and all the leads and harmonized bits were quite good .... But no, just can't go there ... cause the lyrics are just too 'complaining' "

8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

THIS is probably a dumb question - How does one EDIT a post here ?
    I've looked and looked, and I'm just not seeing it ....

9. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

I think you can only edit a post for a short period of time after posting, then it is locked out. There will be a link that says Edit below your post where it says how long ago it was posted and the link to report a post.

10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

This is perhaps the most mysterious comment I've ever read on here. Please don't ruin the mystery by explaining, I'm getting quite a kick out of it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  11. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Thanks. I just did a post experiment and refreshed the page repeatedly .... After a half-hour the edit/delete option went away .

12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Well, I found the male backing singer not such a great fit for "Great Gig" either back in Wiesbaden.

andrewskyDE and Shaddam IV like this.
  13. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

I just listened to that Wiesbaden "Great Gig" , and the ones from Pompeii (all audience recordings) ... Really, I didn't have a problem at all with the guy singer (Bryan Chambers), the arrangement sounded fine to me ....

What I did notice was that at the second Pompeii show the song got a bit muddled and almost came apart when some but not all of the band went ahead with the transition from the big loud wailing part back to the quieter section ... a short confused moment that thankfully straightened itself out with only slight damage....

I went to all three of the Los Angeles shows ... but they weren't doing "Great Gig" on those earlier tour legs.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I've been reminded about this recently. "Stupid me" forgot that for a while and instead I (finally) bought the Immersion box set of The Wall few days ago.^^
    Not sure if I could get the Gilmour at Pompeii set on CD/Bluray and vinyl edition this Christmas. But I hope it's not too late to wish that from Santa!?

That's great! Hope we get some more Floyd related boxes in that format sometime.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Not completely, but a short riff off that song was re-used for the outro in 'Learning To Fly' live.

JulesRules likes this.
  16. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Ahhhh, this is very true !

and have you noticed that he quotes a riff from "On The Turning Away" in the live "In Any Tongue" ?

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

As I said a post earlier, I don't have the Pompeii set yet but hope getting it this Christmas.

18. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Audience recordings from the tour are out there as well ....

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I know but I didn't check them out yet either.
    Basically I love Pink Floyd recordings but barely listen to their solo output, that's why I also said I've been reminded about that Pompeii set recently.

20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Coming back a bit late to this...

...but, to clarify, each of you are talking about the sole performance of Dancing Right In Front Of Me presented on this, in 5.1, right? Are you talking about the DVD or Blu-Ray...or both?

Has anyone else noticed this? Do we know that it is an error for sure?

Scepticus likes this.
  21. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Yes, on the Blu-ray, Dancing Right In Front of Me has issues with the vocals. It is fine in Stereo.

Scepticus likes this.
  22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Thanks. Yep. Had a look and listen and it’s obvious that the intended centre channel is missing.

Has anyone contacted the label about this?

Scepticus and Hattipper like this.
  23. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

Yet he plays those boring adult contemporary solo songs. It's a self awareness thing, which of course points at why he hasn't done Animals songs or Young Lust.

24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

How tiring it must be for you to continue to return to a thread that you have no interest in and contribute nothing but a negative biased opinion.

25. Ozric

Ozric Senior Member

How old are you ? 12, maybe.

peteham, Tor33rpm, Bill Mac and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.