David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

I took this picture on the 30th, notice the camera's on both sides:

[​IMG]

2. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

According to the first press-release regarding the Pompeii release, it was supposed to be included as a bonustrack. Once it hit the stores, it was not on there.

coffeetime and Kalli like this.
  3. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Probably for the best. Let’s say it didn’t approach Bowie’s take on the same verses at the same venue. I wasn’t aware it was considered for release, although thinking about it Bendedict is quite high profile both in and of himself and for such a guest spot.

4. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

I wasn't in Pompeii, but I was in Wroclaw show and that one was filmed too ( all of us knew it)...and before the show announcer told that we should create an atmosphere by taking our phones out (I didn't)...yes he really said that..so perhaps pompeii was the same case :)

5. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

There was a pre-show announcement in Italian, I've no clue what was said.

davesmoked likes this.
  6. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

If its on request and just for a moment it can be the digital equivalent of how we would raise our lighters and can provide a cool effect, totally in keeping with the Floydian vibe. However --- otherwise and usually its annoying as hell.

I took photos with a 35mm SLR back in the day but would never even think of using a flash.

gabbleratchet7 and GoodKitty like this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It is a beautiful moment when everyone has the flash on their phone and the whole arena lights up. I've seen it done at several shows during the "slow number."

8. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I'm always amused by the people in the back rows taking pictures with a flash. The effective range for most camera flashes is...what, 15 feet? At least they get a good shot of the heads in front of them. :rolleyes:

9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

In fairness, their flashes are on auto. They have no clue whether it is flashing or not.
    Still amusing/annoying.

footlooseman likes this.
  10. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I was there and don't remember any announcement to turn off the phones. I can tell you that I didn't use it much though, just took a couple of pictures and that was it.
    I was on the 1st row, had the night of my life :)

[​IMG]

kendo, RubenH, BlueGangsta and 26 others like this.
  11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Lucky you!

NunoBento, mdm08033 and footlooseman like this.
  12. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Wow, congrats. THat's a pretty badass photo you got too!

kendo, NunoBento, Sevoflurane and 2 others like this.
  13. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Killer photo!!

NunoBento and mdm08033 like this.
  14. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

There wasn't announcement to turn off the phones..but the exact opposite :). Lovely Photo BTW

NunoBento likes this.
  15. ggg71

ggg71 Forum Resident

Here's a couple of (comparatively poor) photos from Madison Square Garden. It was a great show. Wish I had been in the front row!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jam757, Dog Ear and Bill Mac like this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I was at one of the Madison Square Garden shows as well. My pictures are worse than yours as we were up in the balcony. No matter as it was an incredible show :righton:!

17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I too was at one of the shows and I guarantee that my pictures are the worst! But I did manage to get a nice audio recording. Incredible show indeed!!

GoodKitty and Bill Mac like this.
  18. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Just a few more pictures from Pompeii :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I'm guessing 1.0 at 128 kb

20. crossroads69

Digging up an old thread - with David back in the news promoting the Later Years set, I decided to revisit the Pompeii film over last couple of days and it reminded me what a brilliant release it was! Easily one of the best looking and put together concert film packages in my collection.

The revisit again highlighted how much I’d enjoyed Rattle That Lock album and the tracks sound great in live setting as well. You have the softer moments of Face Of Stones and The Boat Lies Waiting to the more rockier ones in title track, Today and Tongue. I also think it was better idea to mix them with Floyd stuff v/s do an entire RTL set (as was done for On An Island). On the Floyd front, I think I’ve been burned enough with the hits and so I went straight to One Of These Days, Sorrow and What Do You Want From Me.

So if you haven’t revisited Pompeii in a while, I recommend you do it. And let’s hope David returns back to live playing soon, if not a tour then at least a short run at a convenient spot like the Albert Hall. I would love to see him go back to his first few solo albums and give it the live treatment.

21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It really is a lovely release. The only disappointing part is the error with the 5.1 mix of one of the songs from the South America leg - with the missing centre channel.

22. crossroads69

Yeah, that issues affects the bonus track Dancing Right In Front Of Me from Wroclaw. Thankfully, the stereo mix is good.

23. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

David bowie's guest appearance with David Gilmour -- were both of those songs officially released ? 45 only ?

24. crossroads69

They were part of the Remember That Night DVD/Bluray release from 2007.

25. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Thinking CD/VINYL .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.