David Gray, White Ladder 20th anniversary edition. Remastered by Greg Calbi

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Littleboy, Oct 7, 2019.

1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

oh dear, optimal strikes again I would imagine. This is the one thing I HATE about coloured vinyl at the moment. None of the plants can manage to produce it without no fill :(

2. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

My box set arrived yesterday. The album on white vinyl sounds glorious; the CD I have is good sounding but my, the vinyl is lush; acoustic guitars, percussion and David's voice sound fabulous.

I'm also really enjoying the additional songs on the black vinyl.
    My set is also quiet with no noise and clicks, one happy chap:)

3. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

Received mine yesterday. I got the 4LP version and I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of the box set. Not listened to the vinyl yet but pleased with the reutrn on what I paid so far thats for sure.

wwright likes this.
  4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone who posts on here that they received the boxset and haven’t listened to it, listen to it and then post your comments :D

5. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Just made a needledrop of my 4LP box tonight, happy to say I do not hear indications of nonfill, quite the contrary, my pressing is flat as can be and dead quiet!
    This sounds wonderful to my ears!

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Over My Head and Monday Morning... DG covering Fleetwood Mac or just a fan of the song titles on the FM self-titled white album?

7. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Noisy vinyl and cut too hot, garbage

8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

You’ve just poured cold water on it for me

9. vinylsolution

@richbdd01 - Check your PM, maybe you should hear a sample before you make a rash decision...

richbdd01 likes this.
  10. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Are you two perhaps talking about different versions?

11. vinylsolution

Not sure, I have the 4LP Deluxe 20th Anniversary box (2 white LPs for the remastered album, 2 black LPs for the b-sides and rarities). Bought through Amazon US.
    This link on Discogs is my set: David Gray - White Ladder

I am perplexed how 1998 + 20 years = 2020 though... ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Any reviews about the CD?

:wave:

nlgbbbblth likes this.
  13. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I bought it on Amazon.de, I think it's the same version.

14. vinylsolution

I am pretty sure it is not the case, but have to wonder if some folks know of the deliberate sounds on this album?

Silver Lining has the 'whoooshing' sound that someone might mistake for non-fill.
    White Ladder (the song) has the crackle sound throughout.
    If so, these are not pressing issues, but are all there on the 1998 CD too.
    Just on the off chance... clearly it would not account for the cut sounding too hot, but perhaps the noisy vinyl complaint, again, only if unfamiliar with the album

Sherwood SST and alan967tiger like this.
  15. mrbiggs

mrbiggs Empires and Pants

It’s interesting what the expectations are of the sound of this album, given it was recorded cheaply in a domestic environment, albeit by professionals. I wonder if it was tracked to ADAT or DA88.

It’s a simple, direct album and it always sounded great to me, characteristic of how it was recorded and the strength of the songs. I first heard it in 2000, just as I was moving to London and making the most of being there, and it soundtracks that period of my life perfectly. What he did with a Soft Cell song I didn’t particularly like still amazes me.

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

17. ferrari

ferrari Forum Resident

In my case, I was referring to the last minute or so of Babylon. After that, I listened to the "official" youtube clips, for both the original and the new remaster. The original video clip is not good, but the remaster sounds great. I listened carefully & replayed it multiple times to try to duplicate what I was hearing on the vinyl; which to my experience sounded like non-fill. I'm by no means a vinyl pressing expert, but I would think that non-fill is the kind of thing that would not affect the same area on every record, in fact, might even just be an isolated instance affecting one or only a few records on a particular run. If anyone knows the definitive answer to that, by all means, I'd be curious to know. The main reason I posted was to see if there were others that had the issue, and that would determine whether in returning the record I should request a refund or take a chance on a replacement record. I've come across these issues before, one with Chris Robinson Brotherhood Phosphorescent Harvest where to their credit they acknowledged a pressing issue & offered replacements (see the discogs listing); and a first press Jackson Browne Time the Conqueror - a fabulous sounding Ludwig master with an unbelievable non-fill that went across half an entire side. In that case I had to wait for a second press to be run, and I finally got a good copy. As for this record, I'll wait another week or so to see if there are others with issues, (I've waited 20 years so far, what's another week - lol), and then make my return with the proper choice.

18. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

Vinyl is cut too hot... Not really happy could have so much better.

19. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

Starting to be glad I went with the Vinyl Me Please version pressed at QRP. Maybe that will at least cut down on the quality control issues.

This one is also supposedly 45RPM but has the same track list. Don’t think it’s shipped yet. Can anyone confirm the others are 33 or 45? Same track list over 2LP

20. ferrari

ferrari Forum Resident

The 2 LP is 33 - I was thinking it should be a 45. I just checked the Vinyl Me Please website - if you don't join the monthly club, you apply to the wait list after they satisfy club members. I see the track list is rearranged to better accommodate the 45. Says out in March.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    domesticmachine likes this.
  21. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I’m looking at all the editions on Discogs and not sure I see a variation in the track list. Also I don’t think you have to be a member to buy it.

VMP edition here for reference:
    White Ladder

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

God, it seems like that this wasn't released on CD at all. Only LP

Not a single comment

:shake:

23. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

well I was incorrect in my recent post and deleted it. i'm so thrilled on disc 4 to find "Through To Myself" which was a track 0 on the first UK CD's, where you would rewind for two minutes and it would play. I had a bit of a different song title in my head when I scanned the tracks and so I've deleted my earlier post.

to reiterate the rest of my deleted post, ,the pressing I have is flawless, flat, silent and I think it all sounds quite nice, even if its from a DAT, his acoustic guitar sounds nice, his voice sounds warm, very happy.

Sherwood SST likes this.
  24. Python

Python Forum Resident

I don't give a **** about sound quality, so, already owning the CD, I just bought the one outtake, the "hidden" track and the five b-sides from iTunes...they sound great to me, more importantly, it's nice to have "new" DG music that's actually good because his last two albums have been god-awful, IMO, and the few before that were so hit-and (laregely) miss. Nice reminder that he once used to actually write good melodies and cool chord progressions and lyrics that actually were comprehensible and real people could potentially relate to.

As much as I hate "full album" concerts, I'll probably go see him this year for the first time in ages because that album is so damn good, first song to last. Not to mention the fact that Clune will be back in the band, it's no coincidence that DG's albums started going downhill once he fired Clune.

RobCos02330 likes this.
  25. Ellen1014

Ellen1014 Forum Resident

An absolute fantastic album. I love it. I didn't know about this release but I'm going to get it.

Sherwood SST and alan967tiger like this.