David Letterman to retire in 2015. Stephen Colbert to take over.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Poor Napoleon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Meee!

2. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Why not someone new? I find ALL the suggestions/possible choices so far boring. Vince Vaughn??!! :laugh:

Is there NOBODY on this planet with talent enough to knock our socks off that isn't "in the mix" already? I find that hard to believe. If someone new but REALLY good took the show over, ratings would be slow at first but word would get around quickly and the audience would come.

Just my 2 cents, mind you. :whistle:

3. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Elvis Costello did a fine job subbing while Dave had heart surgery.
    Craig is a brilliant man, but he hasn't matured his show passed his 16YO humor. It got old for me and I stopped watching because of that.

jerol

zebop likes this.
  4. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He was great in his day, but is this gig really important anymore. Who watches the main networks at 11.35? I'm always in bed, (except Friday maybe) but those who are up have 300 other channels to choose from, internet, netflix, youtube etc.

mpayan likes this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im thinking the same. I think the days of latenight star interviews are about to run their course. Game over.

6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Fine in theory, but they're never going to give one of these shows to someone without some sort of track record. Doesn't matter how good they are, the network needs to know if they can draw an audience. It's too big a commitment.

7. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

It would be nice if he stayed on through the 2016 election. His shows always were funnier during election years.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

He's 58. I don't think the networks are looking to hire anybody older than 40, because of the ad demographics and the competition.

Not a nice person.

9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Oh, I know you're right, I was just dreaming out loud. Not bout the slim pickings for his replacement, though. :rolleyes:

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Conan, Seth and Fallon got their 12:30 gigs with little track record in that particular field. Conan hadn't even done stand up.

11. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

First hand account? Because I've heard things as well.

12. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Fallon doesn't do stand-up either.

13. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

If she could tone her political rhetoric, I'd say Janeane Garofalo would be a decent choice. She subbed for Dave when he was sick, and had Zack Galifianakis on.

14. helter

helter Forum Resident

It ended with Johnny Carson .....now I surf the internet late nights

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

She turns 50 in a few months.

16. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

She doesn't look it or act it. Neither does David Cross, who turns 50 today, and he's very popular with college kids. Arsenio is pushing 60, Stewart is 51, Colbert will be 50 soon as well. Again, what is your fixation with age?

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Hasn't he already pointed out network execs will want someone younger than 50, to compete with Fallon.

18. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

As long as they have energy and experience, and can relate to young people, age is secondary. Dick Clark was still popular with young people up until his stroke. Conan is still popular and is hosting the MTV Movie Awards. If I have to pick somebody under 50 to compete, how about Zack Galifianakis?

19. AKA

AKA Senior Member

The television industry is very different now than it was 21 years ago. There's no way CBS will hire someone who isn't well-known to viewers for an 11:30 show.

20. AKA

AKA Senior Member

No, he wasn't.

21. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Really, Rockin' Eve always pulled big numbers. I seem to remember the ratings dropping significantly the year Regis subbed for him.

22. Myke

Why couldn't that have been old people watching ?

AKA likes this.
  23. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Young people don't watch TV on New Year's Eve; their parents do.

I was 24 when Dick Clark had his stroke. He was always a dinosaur to me and most people of my generation. A pre-stroke Dick Clark might have drawn the 50+ crowd, but not the 18-34s.

Myke likes this.
  24. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Well tell me, who do you think should replace him?

25. Myke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.