David Letterman to retire in 2015. Stephen Colbert to take over.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Poor Napoleon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Enough of the waiting...bring on Colbert!

Mr. H likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I keep looking at the onscreen guide at 11:30pm to see who's on the talk shows and it's so weird to see The Mentalist there rather than Dave.

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Not until September.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I was thinking, couldn't they have just showed reruns of Dave until September?

5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

At least it's not John Mayer.

6. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I think if they did that, it would invite too many comparisons with Colbert when he starts up. I am guessing they want some distance from Dave's show, so that it will seem like a long time ago and a different generation or something. So that Colbert seems fresh and new and exciting.

7. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

I'm now convinced that the parting between CBS and Dave wasn't necessarily under the best of terms.

What clued me in was when Dave said in an interview that "come May 20, we're out of business with CBS."

8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Wouldn't CBS also have to pay Worldwide Pants for rerun rights?

OldSoul and No Static like this.
  9. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I'm guessing yes, hence the statement Dave made about being out of business with CBS on May 20th..

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm guessing the main reason is that they don't think there's much audience for Letterman reruns.

11. Gregory Earl

I can't remember if they showed Carson reruns before Leno took over. I don't think they did.

I don't even remember the time between Johnny's last show and Jay's first. I'm sure it's out there if anyone cares to look it up. I'm listening to Ryan Adams latest right now and drinking a Sam Adams Rebel Rouser IPA.

12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Carson's last show was on a Friday, and Leno was on the following Monday.

13. Gregory Earl

No wonder I hate him.:laugh:

OldSoul, MRamble and MMM like this.
  14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

NBC - "The National Butthead Company"

15. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

NBC- "Never Believe your Contract"

16. Remurmur

I watched Jay's FINAL final show and was kind of unmoved by it.

I realized that I really didn't care that it was his last show.

I watched Dave's final show and had tears in my eyes when he thanked everyone , introduced his wife and son, and while the Foos played and I watched the montage.

That pretty much says it all for me .

17. frankfan1

The problem was that Jay had become so robotic that his show was much like a McDonalds assembly line. Leno never made any type of emotional connection with his audience. With Dave, we cheered him as a friend from the beginning. We celebrated the new show at CBS. We worried when the ratings sank. We worried when he had the heart surgery. We needed him after 9.11. We worried again with the shingles. We were overjoyed when he and Regina had Harry, and worried with the plot to kidnap him. We were thrilled when he and Regina married. We got miffed when the blackmail scandal erupted, for several reasons. We enjoyed when he had fun with the Leno/ Conan thing. And, yes, we cried when he left. I still have not adjusted. Thank heavens for youtube and tapes.

But I've yet to meet or know one person who felt anything remotely close with Jay Leno.

18. Remurmur

Very well said . That sums up my feelings so well that I wish I'd written it ...:righton:

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I didn't care about either one leaving. Late night left when JC left for me.

rburly likes this.
  20. frankfan1

Some truth to that, too.

I just purchased the complete Carson "Vault Series" box set, devoured it...found I still miss that show terribly.

21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I still laugh as if it was never seen before.

22. frankfan1

Indeed. The older Tonight Shows are compelling. Not all of the jokes are stellar, and there are true, genuine conversations.

Those days are gone...especially now that Dave is gone. Dave was the last true conversationalist on network television.

23. Gregory Earl

You are correct sir, on all points.

With Letterman leaving we also lost that last little bit of Carson. There was always that connection to Carson that Dave had that no one else has or will have. Who can forget Dave doing a joke during the monologue and it going over well and then Dave doing the Carson golf swing as a gesture to it being one of Johnny's many jokes he fed to him.

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Watching this right now:

MMM and Aggie87 like this.
  25. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I get the emotional connection you folks share with Dave. I don't really share that with you. I was a big fan of his NBC show. I think once he switched to CBS at 11:30 something was lost. At some point, I'm not sure when, he stopped being funny. He seemed a bit like the pissed off old guy. Maybe he was and maybe that worked at times. I still tuned in when he would have a guest i liked. And yes I tuned in after his surgery and those kind of emotional shows. He became a better interviewer as the years went on and that seemed his strong point. But his monolouges were not funny to me.

As much as a lot of folks hate Jay, with some good reason, I feel he was caught up in circumstances. He got The Tonight Show. He tried to keep the same audience as Johnny. I'm sure that's why NBC hired him. He became a ass kisser. Or maybe he always was. I think the dissapointing thing was he still could have been same funny guy who used to be on Late Night. When Dave was making all those jokes about Jay nightly Jay resisted replying. Except one night he made exactly one joke about Dave's umm...intern problem. It was funnier than all of Dave's jokes about him. He still was a better comedian than Dave IMHO.

And at the risk of getting flammed here, I know Dave gets a lot of credit for his post 9/11 show. Can I point out Howard Stern was on the air every day including the the day of 9/11. He gets zero credit for that.

And it all makes me appreciate Johnny Carson even more.

Dan Kennedy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.