David Sylvian - First 4 solo albums Vinyl reissues & Rain Tree Crow! - Feb/March 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by englishbob, Dec 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

Sylvian didn't write those songs as in created them from start to finish. Even with Ghosts, what would that song even be without the glorious synths by Richard?

The simple truth is, Sylvian was the golden boy and the management gave him all the credits. The other band members knew it's either that or GTFO. That's why Karn blamed Sylvian. He was the one with power. He could negotiate for others, but he was very comfortable with the golden boy position and treated the others harshly, even his own brother. That's why later on the others were struggling to make a living while Sylvian did cocaine and bought houses. His whole blasé period must have been partly because he didn't even need to work anymore with all the royalty payments from Japan. It's telling how Sylvian always seem to come up with re-releases when the money goes low. Notice how the 2003 re-releases were around the divorce and the 2012 compilation was when samadhisound struggled.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Max Florian and factory44 like this.
  2. On the contrary. That guy is the single best music/musician interviewer there is. Ever.

3. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I would never in my life, describe "Rain Tree Crow" as dull. It's lovely, mysterious, melodic and experimental. Dull? No way.

Cat People, Numanx, Runicen and 4 others like this.
  4. Here's the interviewer's own words on that subject:

5. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Ah, very interesting! Thank you for that insight.

6. Cat People

Cat People Forum Resident

Agreed. I did the same and the original artwork I suspect is far superior. Plus the vinyl used on original was good quality.

Max Florian likes this.
  7. Cat People

RTC new artwork version just arrived yet to be played. What do others think about the monochrome artwork idea? Why do that? The original artwork was beautiful and warmer, right?

Max Florian likes this.
  8. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023 Thread Starter

Cat People likes this.
  9. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Did I miss a "next" button in this review? Never have I gotten so little out of so many words.

10. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

I for one was miffed that the reviewer only gave it a 4.6, a “masterpiece” deserves at least a 4.800000000000009

11. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

One must actually listen to the album to rate it 4.800000000000009. I think it was anointed the rating and masterpiece status based on the album cover.

12. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Guessing being the operative word here.....

Kym and patient_ot like this.
  13. ggggreenisaac

ggggreenisaac Brutalised by bass / Terrorised by treble

It's difficult to judge Sylvian on the band's quarrels, as so few people really know what went on. However, when it comes to some of the things he did on the compilations, like overlaying an unreleased Japan track with vocals by someone who wasn't in the band - THAT'S ****ty behaviour.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. ggggreenisaac

Ain't that peculiar!

Sorry...

15. Takehaniyasubiko

His own brother confirmed Karn's version, so I'm not going to believe Sylvian anymore. He's off-putting as a human being, no matter how good his vocals sound.

16. fairaintfair

And I'm not going to believe you.

If I follow your cues and start employing an abstract moral filter to asses or inform the value of art, I'm just going to end up listening to f&*king "Up With People".

I get it. You don't like David Sylvian as a person. And what exactly should I do with this information? And why are you sharing it?

17. Takehaniyasubiko

Because I want to and there's no reason to act like you do. You're not here to read only the things you want to read.

18. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

This Sylvian bashing has to stop. I'm not saying the poor guy cannot defend himself, because I don't know if he's actually poor and he ultimately has access to all social media there is should he want to clear this talk, but uber-fans now taking revenge on him because of his general aloofness has now gotten close to bullying. I read Mick Karn's autobiography too and largely agree on the credits injustice and the less-than-flattering portrait of the mainman; I enjoy observing band dynamics as an armchair psychologist too, but it really muddles the pool - the actual music - in the long run. I miss Sylvian as a creative entity as much as any other fan these days, but all this negative talk is poisonous, depressing, and ultimately futile, because no one is going to change anyone's mind with it. So please, Takehani, make it stop. Or take it to one of the numerous Japan groups on Facebook where such debates are underway. Here on Hoffman's as a more general, musical forum, I think it's really in bad taste to repeatedly come down this hard on someone you don't actually know, just because you've read things that other people (that you also don't know) said about that person. Let's discuss the art and criticise the artist and not the person, shall we.

19. fairaintfair

Before I put you on ignore (which means I won't see your response and will effectively kill this exchange..thankfully) I'll say this:

01: Please read the OP

02: Please learn to recognize when you're off-topic. It really derails threads.

Cheers

20. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Adult diapers...?

21. fairaintfair

Maybe it is. Maybe it's not.

22. ggggreenisaac

My original, silver-topped Brilliant Trees (CDV2290) doesn't have a SPARS code on it anywhere, not on the artwork nor the disc. Gone To Earth and Secrets Of The Beehive originals are both ADD though.

23. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I always tend to waft back into all things Sylvian in the fall weather and I've grabbed all these latest vinyl pressings and am quite happy with their sonics and revisionist album covers. Dead Bees On A Cake i never had on vinyl and cant even remember the original cd imagery and i let go a physical a while ago, but vinyl pulled me back in. The Gone To Earth sounds way better than the original vinyl i cut my teeth on as well.

I get a lot of introspection from listening to Sylvian, I Surrender to his musings and vibes. very few individuals have created a body of work such as this. I marvel in these tunes every time I swim with them.

Cat People and Max Florian like this.
  24. Cat People

Yes, agree. He is to be praised as a magnificent artist who did his own thing and stuck to his own principles creatively. It takes courage to go from new romantic pop to such high quality art and then into more obscure areas. His past behaviour or personality is a subject for discussion away from specific music forums.

Secrets of the Beehive is a masterpiece, imo.

25. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

The original vinyl of "Gone to Earth" has always sounded fantastic to my ears. I have the original, British, German and Japanese versions. Wonderful one and all. If you ever bump into a SH copy at a record shop I recommend that you buy it. You won't be disappointed.

DBOAC pressed to vinyl has been a real disappointment for me. Dull and lifeless and no better than the original CD and maybe worse.

As for Sylvian the artist, I've been listening again as autumn takes hold.
    He really does suit the season.

factory44 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.