Davy Jones as a percussionist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hall Cat, May 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been thinking about starting this thread for a while. Now that the Monkees songs thread has reached Headquarters, I figured that now is a good time for it (I almost created a poll with most of the songs as choices, but I was too lazy). It doesn't take a lot of know-how to play tambourine, maracas, etc., but playing them well in the studio is another matter. Try keeping a steady rhythm throughout a song with the tape rolling and the clock ticking - and then possibly changing your rhythm mid-song and doing so cleanly, while still to trying to play in time. How do you rate Davy Jones as a percussionist? What are your favorite recorded performances? I dig I'll Spend My Life With You (where he practically carries the rhythm), Forget That Girl on maracas, For Pete's Sake and No Time (they both really rock), Mr. Webster and maracas and jawbone on Early Morning Blues and Greens.

2. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Hall cat – are you drunk?

3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Three maracas - one hand.

4. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Was he as good as Pete Best?

5. 905

905 Senior Member

Excellent percussionist. Jones could be fast yet subtle. Well maybe on No Time things do go off the tracks a bit but that was everybody playing rock and roll. Early Morning Blues and Greens is simply superb.
    Liam Gallagher of the Oasis brothers is another fast yet subtle player.

6. Hall Cat

Thanks. I expected to hear from the descendants of the Peleset Sea Peoples, that's fine with me

905 likes this.
  7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Though associated with the maracas, Davy Jones was also good at piano, guitar and drums. On the 1967 Monkees tour he would take over on drums when Micky took to the center stage.

Davy came from a Broadway background and was a fast learner so he was able to pick up on an instrument pretty quick.

8. 905

905 Senior Member

I forgot which song, but it was cool seeing David get behind the kit and drum on a song during the 2011 tour.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I thought as a percussionist, he was...an able horse trainer.

10. Hall Cat

I think it's Sometime in the Morning

11. Mescalero1

Mescalero1 Well-Known Member

Well, their first 2 albums were only vocal albums for the Monkees. Hal Blaine and Billy Lewis did most of the drumming and percussion. And the guitars, Glenn Campbell and James Burton. Their tunes would have been hits without them. And most of their tunes were written by Boyce and Hart and they did a lot of the backing vocals. The rest I think were written by Carol King.

12. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You know most of this is incorrect, right?

13. Mescalero1

Give me a minute, I will find it for you.

14. Mescalero1

Their first big hit, Last Train To Clarkesville:

"Last Train to Clarksville"

• Written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart
    • Lead vocal: Micky Dolenz
    • Backing vocals: Unknown
    • Acoustic guitar: Tommy Boyce
    • Electric guitars: Wayne Erwin, Gerry McGee, Louie Shelton
    • Bass: Larry Taylor
    • Drums: Billy Lewis
    • Percussion: Gene Estes, David Walters
    • Recorded at RCA Victor Studio A, Hollywood, California; July 25, 1966 (7:00 p.m.-3:00 a.m.)
    • Producers: Tommy Boyce, Bobby Hart

15. zen

zen Senior Member

So....it took two studio musicians to do what Davy Jones could do with one hand. :D

16. Mescalero1

This is quoted from a story about Peter Tork, who was an amazingly talented musician. Like most bands in the 60's, the labels never wanted to take a chance with playing being bad so they brought in The Wrecking Crew to do most or all of the playing. Tommy Tedesco is the guitar on so many hits of the 60's

The Monkees, saddled with the albatross of being TV’s first manufactured boy band, have always fought for critical acceptance ever since guitarist Michael Nesmith foolheartedly told the press that the band didn’t play on their first two albums

17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I applaud Nesmith for doing that. He was producing the best musicians in Hollywood and he and his bandmates were given credit instead of giving credit where credit is due.

18. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Good singer with nice image...yes.....musicianship...very questionable...tapping a tambourine or shaking marracas in 4/4 to a pop tune does not make one a percussionist. Yet, I still loved him as a Monkey.

19. 905

905 Senior Member

:thumbsup: my second favorite Monkees song.

20. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

It's been awhile since I've come across it, but according to one source, if instruments had been assigned according to actual musical aptitude, Peter would have been on guitar, Michael on bass, Davy on drums, and Mickey as vocalist.

Hep Alien, Tom Wabe, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  21. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You genuinely think all of the Monkees' songs were written by either Boyce and Hart or Carole King?

Why do you think that?

905 likes this.
  22. 905

905 Senior Member

Indeed. :agree:
    And, Tork himself had said that.

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Zappa rated him.

Bongo Fury. :D

boboquisp likes this.
  24. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Don’t forget he could play bass too! People underestimate David’s talent [​IMG]

25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Amazingly talented? Interesting ...

rjp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.