Daydream Believers: The Monkees Story how did I miss this?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Jul 22, 2021.

1. FredV

FredV Forum Resident

One of the inaccuracies in the movie that they perpetuate is the urban legend that ‘Sugar, Sugar’ was being considered as a single for The Monkees in 1967. The song wasn’t written until 1969 and was being aimed for The Archies, which became their biggest hit and was considered the record of the year in 1969.

The song that was offered and refused by The Monkees in 1967 was ‘Sugar Man’. As can be heard in the demo the song reflected the early Monkees style at the time.

2. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Forum Resident

@FredV: wasn't it Kirshner himself that (mistakenly) started that urban legend?

3. FredV

FredV Forum Resident

Yes, Kirshner also tried insinuating that HE created The Monkees, when in fact it was Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider, which pissed them off, and in actuality he was hired to provide the music for the project. I think he started the Sugar, Sugar story to make it seem that he knew more about picking hits than the Monkees did, the 1969 timeline destroys that fallacy. And even though they may not have had many top 10 hits afterwards, the group's music did improve after he was removed from the project. And they still had some hit singles after Kirshner with Pleasant Valley Sunday, Daydream Believer and Valleri, plus a lot of classic album tracks and singles like Porpoise Song, Someday Man and Listen To The Band.

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

... And Micky didn't help things by including "Sugar, Sugar" on his album 'Remember', further perpetuating the urban legend...

905 likes this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

They had the same amount of Top 10 hits after they ousted Donnie than what they had with him... And the flip of "PVS" came darn close to making Top 10 itself... They were still doing alright...

FredV likes this.
  6. FredV

FredV Forum Resident

The way I see it, Micky’s cover is okay, he puts a lot of humor into it, especially during the fade out with the many adjectives he uses for sugar.

7. Grand_Ennui

My comment wasn't a swipe at the quality of Micky's cover: I was just saying that by including "Sugar, Sugar" on the 'Remember' album, that he kept the myth of "Sugar, Sugar" being offered to The Monkees alive...

905 likes this.
  8. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I think that The Monkees developed into a very talented band in a relatively short period of time, and what they accomplished was pretty remarkable. I think history has shown that they were a very legit musical act and not just posers. I think they built an impressive legacy in a very short period of time. In the 90s I was dating a 21 year old while I was in my thirties, and she had become a huge Monkees fan back in the 80s when they had their comeback and created an entirely new generation of fans.

Grand_Ennui, MikeInFla and 905 like this.