Days of Future Passed Original Mix Differences/Catalog Number? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sidewinder43, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

If directed to me or just anyone viewing....

I wish I was at a place I could sample the sound, but alas am not. Is this sample you've posted what you believe to be the original mix from a digital source of some kind ? ie: a true boot or copy thereof ?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

McLover and c-eling like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

A transfer of an old US Sterling press I did a few months ago

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd say the best source is *slightly* less muddy. But the overall sound of the mix is definitely quite similar.

c-eling likes this.
  6. OnTheRoad

Could the ROIR used for the digital be from an old reel-to-reel copy by chance ?
    Was DoFP ever release legitimately (pre-remix) on RtR ? Maybe 7 1/2 ips ?

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not on 7 1/2 IPS in Stereo. 3 3/4 IPS regrettably, and not too good either.

8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

If it is the one that originally appeared over at the "big green monster" circa 2009 or 2010

Code:
    Artist: The Moody Blues
    Album: Days of Future Passed
    Year of Release: 1967
    Label: Deram
    Size: ~222MB

Tracks:

1) The Day Begins - Morning Glory
    2) Dawn: Dawn is a Feeling
    3) The Morning: Another Morning
    4) Lunch Break: Peak Hour
    5) The Afternoon: Tuesday Afternoon
    6) Evening: Evening Time to Get Away
    7) Evening: The Sunset
    8) Evening: Twilight Time
    9) The Night: Nights in White Satin
    10) The Night: Late Lament

Notes: It is common knowledge that "Days of Future Passed" was remixed in 1978; the remix has supplanted the original version of the album on most subsequent reissues and on *all* digital reissues (yes, folks, including the Mobile Fidelity disc and whatever mini-LP Japanese artifact you are about to champion). From its inception until 1978, however (and for some time afterwards), the original mix was used merrily on LPs, tapes, wax cylinders and what have you, in the process being copied and sent to numerous countries and pressing plants. Given the closures of many of those plants--especially in more far-flung parts of the world--it was somewhat inevitable that many of these copy tapes would end up in the hands of collectors.

As legend has it (and legend will have it!), the particular tape from which this copy of the original stereo mix derives is at most one generation removed from source, used by a Continental plant to make copies that were, in turn, used to press records. It sat for several years, unused and forlorn, in a warehouse in Europe before being sold in the 1990s in a liquidation sale to a private collector, who promptly sat on it for years (because, believe it or not, not everyone knows of the situational import of pre-1978 Moody Blues copy tapes). Eventually, it was sold again on an online auction site to a collector who *did* recognize potential importance of the tape, but who for some time lacked the ability to transfer the tape to digital. Dribs and drabs have appeared online for years, but we believe (crossing fingers) that this is the first complete set of this material assembled from that second-generation source tape.

So enjoy this full presentation of the original "Days of Future Passed" stereo mix. Yes, parts have appeared on official Moody Blues CDs over the years, and yes, it isn't from *the* master (although it's very close). But it's way better than the cassette and LP copies that have been circulating for years, and it does not appear as if the band has any plans to issue it officially. Thrill to DOFP in its original glory!
    As mentioned by several the mix is muddy sounding and perhaps the reason it was remixed? The transfer itself was not dynamically compromised. It reminds me greatly of many CD's here that are 'prized'. Overall a Grade A pirate effort - not a bootleg since at one time it was a legit release on LP.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    McLover likes this.
  9. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

dont forget the US Deram fold-down mono mix, which i have

10. OnTheRoad

Arrrgh matey !

My oversight.

Hey.....by the way...Where do pirates take their vacation ?

Arrrrrrrrrggggentina !

Where do pirates eat lunch ?

Arrrrrrrrrrrby's !!!!!!!

Why is it difficult to get along with pirates ?

They like to arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgue too much !

:D

McLover and ricks like this.
  11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, it's a different listen, but oh, if it had been a distinct mix..............whew!

12. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I've always cringed when the new mix of Dawn is a Feeling hits the middle 8 and the floor tom/tympani has no beautiful, blossoming reverb on it. Terrible. It happens at about 1:50. For example, original:

13. gingerly

...vs.:

14. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I listened to the two samples, thanks.

In the US, I bought a new, sealed, stock copy off the shelf in 1979 or 80, and I can confirm it was the original mix. I no longer have that copy, so I can't share details about matrix numbers.

I have never heard the remix until that second video you posted. I didn't like it.

Does the tape of the original mono mix still exist, or is that trashed also?

15. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I had a UK mono copy. Sounded like a fold-down as does the mono UK Search Of The Lost Chord. As noted elsewhere here there are numerous mix differences between the stereo original and the remix. A couple are very noticeably different (Evening, Twilight Time). I agree with your description that the remix is much better sounding, the original is muddier and more narrow stereo but the notable mix and edit differences between the two make owning both versions necessary.

McLover likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's no mono mix.

But nothing is trashed, so there's no "also".

17. ShockControl

This thread and others like it suggest that the original mix for the LP was damaged or worn out.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They suggest incorrectly.

19. gingerly

I'll just add that the deluxe CD reissue of somewhat recent vintage is the best version I've ever heard - it's the new mix, obviously. There is still cringing, however.

20. ShockControl

OK. Then the tapes accidentally got buried in a landfill, or someone spilled duck sauce on them?

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No.

22. ShockControl

As long as you keep being cryptic, I'll just keep guessing, and then you can tell me when I guessed correctly. Does that approach work best for you?

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Posts from this very thread:

Doesn't seem all that cryptic, but that's just me I guess.

grandegi likes this.
  24. ShockControl

Thanks, but your quotes reference selected tracks, and second-hand information.

It is still reasonable to assume, after all these years with no reissue, that there *could* be issues with the original tapes, at least with some of the tracks.

Artists and record labels are under no obligation to report on the condition of their masters.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re-read the quotes above. Assume whatever you wish, reasonable or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.