Dazed and Confused film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sear, Feb 25, 2023.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

It's funny that most people say it's accurate except for the hazing. Must have been a real local thing for the person who wrote the script.

2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Fort Reno Park? I lived in Woodley Park from around 1983-1992. A local buddy and I would ride our bikes up there from Connecticut Avenue after work sometimes to have a few beers. Of course, we were legal by then! I shudder when I think about us riding down those hilly streets while inebriated.

Jack Lord and KeninDC like this.
  3. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

I find both Dazed & Confused and Freaks and Geeks to be pretty darn accurate. Freaks and Geeks hits home since it takes place in the 80s when I went to high school outside of D.C. But as an anthropological view of '76, D&C is spot on (minus the hazing). We used to party on a street in the woods. Sometimes there'd be over 50 cars. Local cop's younger brother was in my group of friends, so we never got busted. Laughed about all this with the formerly cocky stoner jocks at a recent high school reunion. Of course, being a former "brain" as they say on F&G, I'm probably the cocky one now.

The scene in D&C where the old man talks to Randall "Pink" Floyd about the upcoming football year rings true, especially for Texas.

Having teenagers, I now sympathize with the parents who abandon their out-of-town plans when the keg guy shows up at their house.

4. Oh, for sure. My wife and I always joke that in any other part of the country, middle-aged men who take as all-consuming an interest in the pursuits of teenaged boys as they do in small-town Texas would be on police watchlists.:laugh:

KeninDC likes this.
  5. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Most importantly, their parents didn't seem to care that their 17 year old daughter was dating a divorced guy who owns a used car dealership.

6. michaelscrutchin

michaelscrutchin Forum Resident

Well, Dazed does have Matthew McConaughey's Wooderson, who is probably mid-20s or older and still hangs out with high-school kids. "That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age." He's definitely on the path to being in his 30s stalking the high-school parking lot.

Jack Lord, Shambolicus and Scowl like this.
  7. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I graduated in '84, but I had 2 older sisters and a brother who graduated '76, '78, and '80, respectively. This movie was dead-on to what I remember of them and their friends. Everytime I've watched this movie it's like I'm hanging out with these people for that day and night. Very special movie. Linklater and the cast really nailed something. American Graffiti is similar to me as well, along with Freaks and Geeks.

Crungy likes this.
  8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Yep. The legendary Ft Reno. It was cumbersome getting the keg up to the top. Down was much easier.

9. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Especially since it was empty by that time LOL

Jack Lord and KeninDC like this.
  10. Gringo13

Gringo13 Active Member

I graduated in 1975 and except for California instead of Texas (in the movie) it was very much like being there back then. My hazing was more grammar school, in high school i just wanted to blend . . .

11. I was in high school from '88/'89 through '91/'92 and other than the style of dress and some of the music it was pretty similar to my high school experience. No hazing though, at least no where close to what was depicted in the film.

12. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

That is another reason. :D

13. pez

pez Forum Resident

I need to watch this again. Haven’t seen it in 30 years and at the time I was 15 and at school.

in the UK, Inbetweeners was also pretty accurate in the same ilk.

14. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I'm surprised to hear that there really was hazing in some high schools. We didn't have that. That was the last thing I needed in high school.

15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

It surprised me as well. I can imagine it in some boarding school, but not your typical public school like that one.

Scowl likes this.