DCC Archive DC5 mastering article

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

Tom Kennedy on the BSN board posted this link Lansdowne masteringabout what was involved in making the DC5 "best-of" CD from last decade.

2. pauljones

pauljones Forum Chef

Thanks, very interesting, but this underscores my feelings that the DC-5 catalog was not handled by the right person(S). It is one thing to be a fan and to have a rudimentary knowledge of mastering systems. But for the vast catalog of this music to be "considered from 50 or 60 reels" and hard drive transfers does not indicate the work that needs to be done.We deserve better, far better. The stereo, in fact, sounds excellent; I have heard it on several import compilations and it sounds intelligently mixed. Perhaps one day this music will emerge in its best package.

3. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

Agreed.

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I agree with that also, and I'd love to see the stereo versions released, because they do sound great, but it will be a Cold Day in Hell before Dave Clark agrees.

Dave just doesnt like the DC5 material in stereo, thats all there is to it. He feels the group was a "Singles Band" and that mono
    is the best presentation format for their music.

At least we know that the DC5 tapes are all in pristine condition. Dave has been storing them in a temperature controlled London tape vault since the 60s. Which at least means that when the LPs are released on CD, at least they should sound good, albeit mono.

5. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

The stereo version of CATCH US IF YOU CAN on the Japanese pressing "The Dave Clark Five vs Peter and Gordon" sounds so good I could listen to it all day. Heck, I'd rather listen to these 6 tracks over and over than listen to the DC5/History set.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Based on the article, it sounded like if/when the individual albums were reissued, the stereo versions *would* be issued. Ie, the stereo versions were fine as long as the mono was out there as well.

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Luke, that was the mastering engineer talking. Its not his decision to make.

Dave Clark runs the DC5 show, and I'll be shocked if he releases stereo versions of anything except the "Everybody Knows" and the "5 X 5" LPs, which were the first DC5 Lps released in true stereo. I'm 99.9% sure everything before that will be mono.
    Dave isnt going to go back and remix all those LPs, hes a businessman and it wont make sense to him financially.

I have all the DC5 hits in stereo that exist so I'm perfectly happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.