DCC Cars S/T question for Steve

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by poweragemk, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member Thread Starter

Steve,
    Just acquired your Cars S/T disc courtesy of another forum member. I think it sounds fantastic, and it is rewarding dedicated and repeat listening, even though I've heard the album a thousand times before.

I was wondering what maldies affected the original three CD issues that you corrected with the DCC release. For example I'm detecting, in the same vein as your DCC Van Halen disc, a lot more clarity in the bass guitar - leads me to believe you found a tape that wasn't rolled off in that area, just as with the VH disc.

Is there more to the story with the Cars disc, or was it just as simple as using a non-rolled-off tape?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Michael,

I just used the original British master mixes and didn't **** with them. As simple as that.

3. poweragemk

Were it always so simple....

Thanks a lot, Steve!

4. Steve Hoffman

I did the same with Van Halen. It IS simple. Use the best master and don't try and play God.

5. poweragemk

I meant more "why can't everyone think like this." Obviously it's not that simple, because everyone doesn't do it.

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Sad and true...all our collections are littered with examples of those who didn't do it right....sigh...:(

ED:ed:

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

For some reason, this is the disc I always pop in when I crave the Hoffman-sound.

It just has that "meaty" midrange and solid bass that all rock albums should have!

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Sometimes less is more...:thumbsup: Steve works hard to get those results!...Others feel their way is the "Right" way...but...WE know better:) Aren't -we- lucky! Oh yea!

9. Evan

Evan Senior Member

We hear and obey :D

10. Steve Hoffman

Of course, I left out the story of the three friggin' months it took to get the right mixes. Anyone else would have given up!

11. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

IIRC, you did the same with Buddy Holly as well and haven't played God since Chuck Berry, correct? ;)

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ya know, I sorta thought there was just a leeeetle bit more to the story, Steve! :D

13. poweragemk

Okay, see, now we're getting somewhere...:laugh: Have the wrong mixes been used on all the other cd issues? Vinyl?

14. Evan

Evan Senior Member

speaking of Buddy Holly, isn't tonight the anniversary of the day the music died?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.