dcc gold compact disk of the beach boys pet sounds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrtofumofu, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrtofumofu

mrtofumofu New Member Thread Starter

Because i am a noob i need some help.
    What kind of system do i need to play a dcc?
    Why is the dcc pet sounds so expensive?
    Lastly, does anyone know where i can get a copy of it?
    thanks in advance

2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

DCC Pet Sounds is/was available on LP and also Gold CD. The CD is much easier to find and cheaper as well. It can be played on any CD player. It retailed for around $30 when it was new. And now it has been out of print for quite a while, so that is the reason it is fairly expensive. Along with the fact that it sounds great and it is the version of this album that many people like best. I got mine off ebay. They are pretty common there. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

john lennonist and black sheriff like this.
  3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

DCC gold discs are playable on all CD players. They're normal CD's, but instead of aluminum, like regular CD's, they're pressed using 24 karat gold. This was one reason they were so expensive (priced about double a normal CD). Some people believe the gold made them sound better, but probably the reason the DCC's sound so good was the extra care that was taken in the mastering of them.

The DCC Pet Sounds goes for high prices today because it was a limited edition of a very in demand title. It wasn't in stores very long, those who got a copy are generally holding on to it tightly, and those who want one are willing to pay big bucks for it.

As to where to find it, it's long out of print, and available only on the collector's market. Try eBay, record shows and swap meets, independent record stores that deal in collectables and used records, and maybe listings in "Goldmine" or "Discoveries" magazines.

john lennonist and audiomixer like this.
  4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Before you go crazy looking for a copy of the DCC Pet Sounds, you must remember its purpose- to be the best sounding version of the original mix of the album....that means mono.

I have friends that don't care for it at all. They much prefer the recent Stereo remix

My favorite version is the DCC, but I have yet to hear the DVD-A.

Do you have the 2001 cd with both the stereo and mono versions? Listen to both and see if you can get into the mono. I tell you this because I wouldn't want you to spend 40-50 dollars on a disc that you won't appreciate. Of course, the DCC Pet Sounds is superior to the mono mix found on the 2001 remaster.

And some folks will tell you that you should buy the DCC disc anyway, cause if you don't like it at first, you will appreciate it later. I can't argue with that.

5. Jay

Jay New Member

I never knew PET SOUNDS had been in mono all those years until the box set came out. The music is so great, I guess I just never noticed anything hinky about the sound.

6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Since when is mono hinky? :laugh:

john lennonist likes this.
  7. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

I got one at the used CD store yesterday for $14.99! It is, however, cracked at the inner ring in two spots. It plays fine, and I have no intentions of ever trying to sell it. I could not believe it when I saw it.

8. floyd

floyd Senior Member

A bit off subject for a second. Why do I come across so many cracked hub DCC and Mfsl? My theory is because of over zealous people trying to force them into the lift lock cases.

About the Pet Sounds DCC this is the classic mix of this classic album the way it was meant of orginally sound. I love it. Don't let the fact that it is mono scare you because you don't really notice that it is mono it just sounds like music.

john lennonist likes this.
  9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I have the same problem. A few months ago I bought a used Hotel California DCC at a very reasonable price which had a few cracks. It played fine until a couple of days ago. It's unplayable now. :(

My Pet Sounds DCC plays perfectly though and I love it.

10. whaaat

whaaat LT Fanatic

In, or maybe out... :sigh:

11. william shears

william shears Senior Member

What astounds me about the DCC disc is that there is stuff on it that you just can't hear on any other version. How does Steve do it? Magic! :p

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

We overdubbed extra percussion and instruments on the DCC version to make it sound better.

john lennonist and breakingglass like this.
  13. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Same way the Carpenters "overdubbed" their voice harmonics? :p

14. william shears

william shears Senior Member

You're a wizz with a tambourine Steve
    :p

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Newbies.....:D

:ed:

16. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

Pet Sounds is and always was meant to be heard in mono. Stereo mixes are interesting but not definitive because the mono has a lot of quirky things going on that make it unique and impossible to recreate. Some would even call it a sloppy mix in places but that's all part of its charm.

About Steve's overdubs, I wish he would stop replacing lead vocal tracks with his own on 4-track masters the way he did on the DCC Beatles remasters from 1995!
    (can't find the wink button!)
    Bob.

17. posieflump

posieflump New Member

My DCC "Pet Sounds" arrived from the States this morning, just in time for my birthday! As my amp expired yesterday (and I haven't wired in my spare one yet or [shudder] bought a new one), I'm restricted to listening on a very familiar pair of headphones.

Believe the hype, folks. I'm a convert. No longer will I need to turn the treble a couple of notches to the left to reduce the tinnitus-inducing high end of the Capitol versions. The instrumentals sound particularly wonderful on here. Lyle Ritz's double-bass playing sounds magnificent. THIS is what it SHOULD have sounded like in 1966.

I only have one negative observation - whose idea were those vile CD cases? The centre spindle of this disc is showing signs of wear (I bought it used). Still, it's easily remedied.

Mr. Linett misses one significant point in his bashing of this CD. Whether Steve used EQ or not is irrelevant; the fact is that every Capitol CD of "Pet Sounds" has sounded like cack, and that's before we start comparing them. The fact that they were a general improvement on most of the preceding vinyl issues doesn't make them any good!

Ah - those tambourines on "I Know There's An Answer"! No longer do I feel like the victim of an axe through the head.

Nice one, Steve.

Mart.
    P.S. If you'd thought to pan the percussion overdubs around a bit, you could have had the first stereo release.

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I'm sure it's when people (who are unfamliar with the "lift-lock" case) try to remove the CD from the case and does not "lift". So they force it out - unaware that the $#@$) is supposed to "lift".

I was told by a retailer in the USA that he had many returns of broken CDs because of this.

I replaced all my "Lift-lock" cases (I call them "lift & flip" :eek: ). I'm glad that AF uses normal cases!

As for Pet Sounds, I only have the HDCD remaster and the DCC. Steve's gold disk is soooo much better! :)

19. mambo

mambo New Member

I hear Steve adds hiss to the Lp's as well, for that more authentic vintage sound :D

20. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Ah, that explains it! :laugh:

Bob :D

21. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Adding the drum machine was genius! :righton: :D

22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Those lift-lock cases were a good idea . . . in theory. But demanding we alter instinctive habits developed with the other 99% of our jewel boxes was probably doomed to create more problems than it solved.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

DCC only used them because MOFI used them. We hated them.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

There's a first hand account in the archives here, where a member had seen, earlier in the day, a woman open a lift-lock as forcefully as a regular case, and the CD took off flying ! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.