dCS Bartok Review on Part-Time Audiophile

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

2. LeeS

Some have asked how the Bartok sounds versus the new Windom release. I had sent the Bartok to RMAF a few weeks before Windom was released.

3. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

I just read the review earlier today. Sounds like a fantastic DAC, but way out of my price range. The review did make me curious to investigate earlier model dCS DACs that might be available on the used market.

displayname likes this.
  4. LeeS

It is expensive but when you hear and see the build quality, it all makes sense. Eventually they will turn up on the used market...

displayname likes this.
  5. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

Does the Bartok use the higher speed ringdac mapper speed algorithm, or is this only available in the higher priced spreads (Vivaldi 2.0 and Rossini 2.0)?

6. LeeS

I think the basic implementation is the same across the family. I have heard you gain precision as you move up in the line. Let me dig into a bit and get back to you with some specifics.

7. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

They're getting old but Arcam CD23, DiVA 92 and Alpha 9 cd players incorporate the Ring dac.

jusbe likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Precisely. You could get this technology for real world money. DCS started doing studio DACs (used on Kate Bush's Arial album) then realised there was more money in high priced domestic audio. Does this need to cost £13K? More detail is not always better than a more analogue presentation. I have not been overly impressed with DCS product I have heard in relation to price. What I have heard has lacked a certain musicality. The Bartok however is pretty budget in the DCS world.

jusbe likes this.
  9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Whilst I've not had a chance to compare, my friend recently went from a dCS to Acuphase's new player.

He used to sell dCS and raved about his Verdi with a external clock, now he obviously thinks Acuphase raised the bar and for less money.

10. LeeS

I think you are looking at this a bit wrong. dCS is not just about detail. The best DACs offer detail/resolution but preserve the analog nature of musicality. If you listen to even great DACs for $5k (in a really good system like I use to review products), then listen to a $15k Bartok, then you hear the extra precision and the well delineated soundstage. All of that leads to a highly musical presentation.

11. LeeS

Question: what model of Accuphase player does your friend have? I will see if I can listen to it.

12. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Sorry can't help with that, as he lives elsewhere and for some reason I've lost his mobile number.

All I can remember it's one box, apposed to his Transport, DAC and external clock dCS and that there's a external DAC (or clock), which would take it even further up than his dCS.

I heard his dCS fronted system and it was fantastic, whilst I trust his judgement I can't imagine what it sounds like now.

LeeS likes this.
  13. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

It should have HDMI an's and outs. For that kind of money, there is no excuse to not include.

14. LeeS

I am not sure. HDMI is pretty rare for a DAC.

15. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Bryston, SimAudio, Linn, and Naim figured out how to include them. Makers of AVR’s figured out how to use them

16. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

I bought a used DCS Debussy DAC and couldn’t be happier...or could I? Very nice sounding DAC and supports two-wire AES/EBU output from my Aurender W20 too.

17. Projectman

Projectman Forum Resident

I don’t know if a DAC that consumes HDMI Audio, but several DACs support I2S transmission over an HDMI connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.