DD or DTS from DVD-A using Toshiba SD4800

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jymn, Dec 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon Thread Starter

I have misplaced my manual for the Toshiba and am trying to get DD or DTS (if available) to play. The music does not play. I can only access the digital interviews but not the music. I unplugged the analog connectors for DVD-A (which plays fine). There seems to be no way to select a digital output (as is with the DTS version of Hell Freezes Over (which plays great).

2. Snowdor

Snowdor New Member

I have struggled with the proper settings for a Toshiba 4700 I bought about a month ago. Getting the receiver and the DVD-A to sync up in the proper manner has been confusing to say the least.

You may want to check and how the inputs are selected on you receiver as far as the digital configuration. Use the navigator function on the Toshiba remote to see if you have the selection for PCM or Bitstream. You don't want to use the 6 channel analog settings for digital decoding. That is what I finally learned after I figured out how to get the hi-rez stereo to work.

I wish I could explain more but I am still learning also. Good luck.

:confused:

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I see that Toshiba has user manuals available in pdf format online, but curiously the 4800 is not listed (or my vision is fuzzy this morning). The site does say that if you have a machine still under warranty and the model number isn't listed to contact them to get the manual.

If the 4800 works like the 4700, there is a menu ("priority contents") where you need to indicate whether the dvd-video or dvd-audio program should take priority when a disc contains both.

4. Snowdor

Snowdor New Member

I just found this article which may explain why you cannot decode the DVD-A to DD or DTS. After reading this you may want to try and play it on a DVD Video player and see if they decode to DD or DTS ( if the disc carries the tracks).

"For compatibility with DVD-Video players, DVD-Audio discs can include audio encoded in Dolby Digital and DTS formats that satisfy the DVD-Video specification.
    However, DVD-Audio players automatically default to the highest level of DVD specification. Therefore, a DVD-Audio player will only recognize the PCM DVD-Audio tracks on a DVD-Audio disc and will NOT recognize Dolby Digital or DTS audio tracks recorded at the DVD-Video specification. Although these Dolby Digital and DTS tracks are playable on a DVD-Video player, they are invisible to a DVD-Audio player. This applies even if the player supports the DVD-Video specification."

5. Jymn

Thanks all. I found that I have to switch the unit off and then on again in order to switch between DVD-A and DTS or DD.

6. krabapple

krabapple New Member

You needt to go into the menu and change the default playback from 'DVD-Audio' to "DVD-video". Then you'll see the menues for the DD/DTS tracks.

7. krabapple

krabapple New Member

This is incorrect. All DVD-Audio players also play DVD-Video, which is to say, DTS and DD audio tracks as well as video tracks. There's usually a setup option where you can change the default behavior (which is usually to play the DVD-A tracks) to DVD-V, at which point the DD/DTS track menus become quite *visible* to the player and the viewer.

(On some players, you can enter group numbers to immediately switch from DVD-A to DVD-V; on others, you have to go to the setup menu.)

8. Jymn

Re: Re: DD or DTS from DVD-A using Toshiba SD4800

Didn't work for me. After doing the above, I had to shut down the unit, then turn it on to affect the change.

9. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Re: Re: Re: DD or DTS from DVD-A using Toshiba SD4800

That's usually the case -- you usually have to at least open and shut the DVD tray after resetting the format .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.