De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Only have a couple but same.

Stu02 likes this.
  2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Pressed in France by MPO and mainly wonderful-sounding. Almost certainly digital.

Very happy with all of them, from the point of view of quality pressings, sleeve and sound. There are perhaps half a dozen that I don’t care for musically.

Stu02 likes this.
  3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I just bought Blue Train for 7,99€. It's the new blue note LP collection that has just released here in Spain by DeAgostini. I see they are licensed.
    Listening right now and truth is it is flat, quiet and very enjoyable.
    I can't complain for 7'99€

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Has the collection just started in Spain ? Is that N° 2?

5. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

VINILOS JAZZ BLUE NOTE
    Looks as though it could be a good collection, obviously some the same as the UK Jazz set.
    Not sure if the UK will get any further vinyl collections.

Imagine70 and Sear like this.
  6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

No, it's the first

culabula likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's a real shame as this and The Beatles collections were well thought out and presented, with excellent pressings, but they then marketed and distributed them terribly. These should be available in record shops. The likes of The Beatles and Queen could sell OK in newsagents, but I can't imagine many people would have been impulse buying an Eric Dolphy LP with their newspapers.

The way the collection was allowed to fade to nothing didn't need to happen either. The last 20 or so were near impossible to find in shops. The momentum disappeared quickly with the jazz series.

8. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Still doing these for a great price €14.99. The gifts look cool also for subscribers.

9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

They’ve done a Bob Dylan series too

10. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

I only picked up a couple of these

Joe Henderson - Page One and Dolphy - Out to Lunch

sure, they're not on the level of Music Matters or Tone Poet, but for 15 quid a pop, they're perfectly serviceable

I did consider signing up to the subscription side of things - but many reports of it being a complete shi*show put me off

I may well pick up a few other titles here and there, mind

11. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

and Italian Prog Rock
    Prog Rock Italiano
    and a so called Blues in Vinyl (several of which I would like)
    Blues In Vinile

As Man at C&A said UK marketing for their vinyl is poor.

12. jamo spingal

On Discogs the Blues ... prices are good if you're a seller. Way higher than jazz at 33 rpm.

13. Paul Aiden

Paul Aiden Forum Resident

I just compared one of the new Blue Note 80’s to one of these deagostini and it’s basically the same quality. I’ve just picked up a few more on eBay because the few that I have sound so good... I am tempted by the new analogue productions “Time Out” but can’t pull the trigger because the jazz at 33 is so damn good

markedasred, jamo spingal and Lucca90 like this.
  14. max_samhain

max_samhain Forum Resident

I didnt interest me much for these pressings as Im kinda suspicious of recent reissues especially if theyre cheap and released on subsciption basis.

But I just discovered Fenton Robinons "somebody loan me a dime" which is probably on of the best blues albums from the 70s and saw that this was reissued by Dagostini and - thats the important thing - pressed by MPO and mastered by SST.
    SST is a small mastering studio here in Frankfurt, not far away from my home and they have a very high quality, I have about 30 records done by them, all excelent...
    I wrote them a mail about the source for the mastering. Honestly I cant imagine theyre doing digital but who knows... most of their records I have are from the 80s or 90s...

15. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

I only bought a select few of these - the £5 KOB and some of the other early ones, then the Art Blakey ‘Drum Suite’ when that finally rolled round, but the quality was uniformly excellent. Kind Of Blue was indistinguishable from more expensive pressings.

Porkpie and Man at C&A like this.
  16. jamo spingal

Which means if you did buy them, their value will go up with time as people realise they were actually damn good (and rare in some cases).

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I bought about half of the Jazz ones including a few from near the end. There's some very slight non fill on the Joe Henderson one, but aside from that every one is just about flawless.

I only bought the On Air: BBC Volume 2 from The Beatles ones, again very well pressed and beautifully presented.

At the moment these records can be had very cheap. A lot of the Jazz ones for around £10. I think they are perceived by many as cheap and inferior because of the partwork monthly subscription thing. They really aren't.

jamo spingal, Porkpie and Daveymoore like this.
  18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Far from it. I start my day with them most mornings and they can hold their own with some much more expensive pressings that I’ve occasionally been fortunate enough to have on loan - Music Matters and Tone Poets series, for example.

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I missed out on The Sidewinder by Lee Morgan because by then my nearest WHSmith's weren't getting them at all. After that I had to mail order them, which was no fun. Rather than go with DeAgostini for that I won a French 80s DMM reissue from eBay for a lot less. It sounds OK, very good even, but the DeAgostini Blue Notes are very noticeably superior. I slightly regret going cheap on that one.

jamo spingal likes this.
  20. horslips

horslips I'd rather be out on my bike!

Discogs is your friend! I have bought some from the Italian releases which were not included in the UK / Ireland series. Because the postage is short of €20 for most suppliers, it makes sense to try and find a vendor with multiple titles so you can buy between 4 and 6 titles at a time.

Deep within a tread on Queen releases on superdeluxeedition.com, somebody said that the Queen Collection was supposed to be released in the UK / Ireland last January and it is now proposed that they will be released next January. No idea how reliable this information is.

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I really hope so. I could do with Milton Keynes 1982 and Rock Montreal.

I won't be rebuying The Sidewinder. An album has to be flawed badly for that. I don't like buying multiple copies of albums, but of course I do.

jamo spingal and horslips like this.
  22. horslips

Porkpie likes this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They might not be DeAgostini. I suppose they could just be using random photos but they show a few Wax Time ones and the Cannonball Adderley has a different sleeve to the original. It's possible it could be a mix of DeAgostini, DOL & Wax Time etc.

I'm very tempted though, I would be more if I hadn't bought about half of the DeAgostini series. If there was a high chance I'd get a lot of the later ones, I'd be in like a shot on this!

Nice one for the heads up by the way.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  24. horslips

More than likely it is the earlier ones as I expect that they reduce the print run as the series progresses. The later ones in the Italian collection are more difficult to find at a decent price on Discogs. Interesting that there are two different pictures of the Cannonball Adderley title.

Man at C&A likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think you're right and they are DeAgostini. All those titles were in the series without exception. They've just used the first stock photos they've found.

Even towards the end I got almost all the ones I wanted and settled for CD on the few I missed. Dealing with DeAgostini was awful! I think I'm still mentally scarred from it!

Still, I highly recommend this offer to anyone reading. They are excellent pressings throughout.

Albiegator, Porkpie and minibreakfast like this.