De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

I've so far bought issues 1 and 2, and was hoping to cherry-pick thereafter, as £30 per month is out of my reach. But my local newsagent says that after about issue 5 she'll be unable to stock them because she'll no longer be able to get sale or return, so I'm planning to just keep getting each one 'til they disappear from the shelves. Newsagents will of course be able to get them in for customers who place a regular order, however. I must say, the quality of the LPs seems good, although the flimsy booklets are a little disappointing.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. robertrosenberg

robertrosenberg New Member

I've got all 3 and I really like them. Blue train says on the back it was mastered from the analog masters by Ron McMaster for what it is worth. Listening on my debut Carbon dc and it sounds lovely.

Didn't get my cleaning kit so i called them and they said they will send it in the next package.

I must say I like the magazine - just the right length for me and really compliments the vinyl without being too boring.

I'm in for a bit. They let you leave on a month's notice.

Robert C, CrazyCatz and Gibson67 like this.
  3. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

If Ron McMaster mastered it, it should have RM in the deadwax.

JG

4. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

My No's 2 & 3 arrived yesterday, cleaned in My Spin clean awaiting to be spinned this afternoon. I too didn't recieve the cleaning kit? Will be in contact should it not arrive in the next package. Like a fellow member mentioned the packaging for subscribers is very good too, really impressed up to now!!!

5. robertrosenberg

It doesn't but it is on discogs as being mastered by him too. Surely if that was wrong he could have that removed?

6. robertrosenberg

You need to call them and ask to be sure

7. James Glennon

Because it says mastered by Ron McMaster, it doesn't mean the EU vinyl has been mastered by him. Any US pressings that are mastered by Ron McMaster has RM in the deadwax.

This happens all the time, the EU Stereo Jimi Hendrix reissues have the same stickers as the US 'Analog mastered by Bernie Grundman' but the EU versions clearly weren't because they didn't have BG in the deadwax and the US did. So they were probably mastered from a high res file supplied by Bernie Grundman.

JG

CrazyCatz likes this.
  8. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

STERLING as they mastered it, RTI pressed them.

James Glennon likes this.
  9. James Glennon

Jimi Hendrix Live at Monterey is a Bernie Grundman mastering but the EU was pressed at MPO and god knows who mastered it, certainly not BG. Anyway back to the thread!

JG

10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The cheap ones in fopp are public domain releases.

11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I might have to check out this series! Wonder if they're still in shops.

12. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

First two issues were still on the shelves in my local Asda on Friday.

Robert C likes this.
  13. StephenM

StephenM New Member

Thanks for your reply and useful information. I am looking forward to getting my new vinyl every two weeks. As I said before, i am new to jazz, so this is very exciting. I am a big fan of ambient and Hindustani classical music, so jazz appears to be a natural continuation from those.

It is interesting that some people say that lots of copies are on the shelves of local newsagents. The first couple of editions sold out rapidly down here and I walked around for over an hour until I found a copy.

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Unfortunately, unlike the European version of this series, the latest thing I read was that this series will only be 10 albums, and so the records I listed above won't be in the series as they were later ones. Sorry I had assumed that it would be the same series, I think most of us did.
    Still the 10 they are doing are all very famous albums so you can't go wrong.

15. minibreakfast

I think the assumption of there being just 10 albums could be down to the badly worded leaflet about the more expensive subscription that includes gifts, as it says something like "such-and-such gift will be delivered with the 10th and final issue". I think this means 10th issue that comes with one of the gifts, not 10th overall. I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), although I don't know why the offer would include 2 cube shelves which look to hold 50+ LPs each if only 10 were planned.

Edit: Oh, and binders. The gift sub includes two binders for the booklets, pointing to more than 10 issues.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Dubmart likes this.
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Exactly how I read it, they aren't going to stop at ten unless nobody subscribes.

17. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

De Agostini web page states 70 LP's are planned in the series, whether it run its entirety shall be seen?

18. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I didn't find it so easy to find volume two. Couldn't locate over the weekend but just popped to WH Smith and they had about 10 copies so after picking them up one by one to inspect (they must've thought I was nuts,) I put my money down and Blue Train is spinning now. Very nice.

I think i'll invest in the next one, Lady in Satin and probably stop there.

19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, two local supermarkets aren't stocking it (they had loads of the first issue still on the shelf). May try Smith's.

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Ah, well reasoned, I think you are probably right, that makes sense. So everything I posted stands!

On a related note, I was shocked to see this series, and it's a sign 'Vinyl' has now entered the mainstream and isn't the realm of us geeks and nerds anymore. Two other things I saw at the weekend (if this goes on I wouldn't be suprised if George Peckham got an OBE orsomething):

Sky Atlantic have a new TV show starting about a rock band in the 70's called....'VINYL' (did make me giggle).

And on Graham Norton last Friday (watch it on catch up if you don't believe me) Elton was on promoting his ne album and Graham pulled out the vinyl version, and made a comment about it coming back, to which Elton said he was buying all his favourites again after having sold all his vinyl years ago.

It's all very weird.

fitzrik, Imagine70 and minibreakfast like this.
  21. minibreakfast

Re. the Elton album, I'm sorely tempted to buy the LP just for the privilege of gazing at the cover image for hours on end. It's mesmerising!

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

They state 70 in the FAQ. Can't really see them giving us two storage boxes as premium subscribers for only ten el pees purchased.

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Then again, the information and their FAQs are poorly-worded and confusing. What, for example, are 'special issues'? They invite you to subscribe to them but fail to explain what they are.

24. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I have 1 and 2 and they worked out great value, and sound excellent.

I have no idea when issues come out though. There are a million inserts in the issues, not one of the says when they get released.

I intend to get the Billie Holiday, but have no idea when!

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Every fortnight and next Wednesday.

englishbob likes this.