De Agostini - Jazz at 33 1/3 rpm series in UK newsagents

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Willowman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Exactly the same as me! My Dexter Gordon was unsealed (as well as my Ella and Louis) and has a little dent on the front, but just astonished to finally see this show up.

Anyone wanna swap one of the following for a Mingus Ah Um,

Getz/Gilberto
    Out to Lunch
    Monkey Jungle...?

2. E888boo

E888boo Active Member

Got mine today, the same 6 everyone else seems to be getting, am happy with these though for the price.

Only Dexter Gordon and Ella & Louis were unsealed but everything unscathed despite the dreadful packaging by Zavvi, LP mailer with the top corners exposed either side of the flap.

I only had Ella & Louis before, but a recent DOL version with the track listing in a different order, I'm assuming this version should be better if anyone knows?

A great deal, just a shame Zavvi are atrocious, hopefully most people get their records though.

3. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Should be better than DOL.

E888boo likes this.
  4. stem

stem Forum Resident

Call me naive, as I haven’t had many dealings with Zavvi previously, but I feel my experience has been fine.
    My 6 LPs were delivered safely. Admittedly quite slowly, but I was advised of this. I was in any case in no rush.
    None are damaged, as they seemed fairly well packaged.
    All sound great. Even if I had the odd gripe (which I don’t) for the price what’s not to love ?
    Bargain.

5. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Apologies, deleted my post. Some alert sites posted a link suggesting offer had been increased to 10lps but seems it was just the old 6lp offer. Nothing new.

imarcq likes this.
  6. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident

Anyone have "Somethin' Else" and want to trade? My two sets arrived today, pretty much the same as what everyone is getting. So far they sound great.

I was hoping I'd get the Cannonball, but no such luck. I've got:

Time Out
    Sketches of Spain
    Ella and Louis
    Go
    Out to Lunch
    Money Jungle
    Getz/Gilberto

All except Ella and Louis are sealed, and I'd be willing to trade any of them for a sealed or unsealed Somethin' Else.

Thanks!

7. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

You listed 7 titles. So your two sets differed by 1 title, or your sets were 10 vs 6? My set is due Thursday.

8. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident

Two sets of six, differed by one. Ella & Louis and Brubeck were the variables, but I’ve got both already in other versions.

captouch likes this.
  9. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Received mine a day early:

Time Out
    Sketches of Spain
    Go
    Out to Lunch
    Money Jungle
    Getz/Gilberto

So pretty much the usual suspects. All sealed except Time Out, but it looks perfect. Haven't played any yet. Would have preferred to get Ella and Louis over Time Out or G/G as I have both of those already in different versions, but pleased to have the others.

10. minibreakfast

minibreakfast Forum Resident

Now sold out again. I wonder what the next incarnation will be? My money's on 4 LPs for £30. :)

Dubmart likes this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Girlfriend complained about severely damaged Getz/Gilberto in her bundle and was required to return it. However this morning they refunded her IN FULL - 21.99GBP.

12. TheDailyStruggles

TheDailyStruggles Member

Hey all, I ordered mine Wednesday evening, checked yesterday morning as I was going to share with a couple of friends and saw it had sold out.
    Apparently mine is being delivered today, will update you with what I get, wonder if it’ll be the same as what everyone previously has generally posted..

13. TheDailyStruggles

TheDailyStruggles Member

Well it’s just arrived:
    Ella & Louie
    Go
    Sketches of Spain
    Getz/Gilberto
    Money Jungle
    Out to Lunch

captouch likes this.
  14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

So, still the same. One would imagine it would be the higher reaches of the series that would be put up for sale, since sales had trailed off and indeed withered by then. I’m still missing about fifteen of those.

15. minibreakfast

I'm guessing they pressed a lot fewer copies the further along the series went, in anticipation of sales trailing off.

16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I’d say not, given that they use the same LPs worldwide for all their markets. The only difference is the packaging, considerably more elaborate in say, Japan.

17. minibreakfast

Best keep an eye on Zavvi then! Fingers crossed.

culabula likes this.
  18. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

If you or (any else in the thread) is interested in trading Time Out for Ella and Louis, pls PM me.

I also have a G/G I wound trade for Ella and Louis.

19. TheDailyStruggles

TheDailyStruggles Member

Thanks for the offer captouch but I’ve been very lucky and I didn’t own any of them already!

And here’s hoping for potentially more of this if they do have plans on releasing more like this!

20. minibreakfast

Seller here had over 50 copies of Ella and Louis for £3.50 each, nearly all gone now.
    Ella and Louis - vinyl LP CLP1098 | eBay
    Must be DeAgostini, as their listings are lots of the jazz ones, plus Beatles and Queen. Listed as Used, but probably just unsealed. I bought a copy of Alfie from them yesterday for a fiver, I'll keep you posted.

Edit: Ah, I see you're not in the UK.

21. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

Just bought Ready for Freddie for £7.00 from them. Defo DeAgostini.

minibreakfast likes this.
  22. minibreakfast

Yep, my Alfie arrived today. Was still sealed too. Just had the little foil sticker cut out of the sleeve surface through the shrink. Might have to get a couple more titles from them.

23. Oyster Black Pearl

Oyster Black Pearl Forum Resident

Nabbed 3 titles from that seller, they sound fantastic and I managed to get a great deal.

minibreakfast likes this.
  24. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

I ordered Ella And Louis from them. Hopefully it is from DeAgostini, the image certainly looks like it is but CLP1098 suggests an earlier issue. If it isn't, it's no real biggie, not at only £3.50.

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's the original UK HMV pressing catalogue number. That'd be a great result!

Albiegator likes this.