De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

I also thought the issue was related to MPO. I did not encounter issues (apart from the occasional slightly warped record) with the records I got from the "Prog Rock" series, pressed in Holland by Records Industry. The present thread is about the Beatles series, so I thought I'd send an alert as I gather all records were pressed at MPO.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Man at C&A likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I wonder what they'll do with the stock. None of them sold out. There will probably be some bargain copies of them for sale somewhere. It's just knowing where to look.

If they distribute them well (get them into record shops at least!) I'd be up for another series, but the jazz series was managed and promoted terribly. It can't have done very well. It's a shame as the product was fantastic.

I can see the Queen series coming to the UK. With good advertising and distribution, they couldn't fail.

Imagine70 likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The jazz series were pressed at both plants. I thought the Holland ones were fantastic. The MPOs mostly were too, but I had a couple off centre, one badly, and some minor non fill with those. Overall the series was excellent.

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

In truth, I stopped around issue 50, so I wouldn’t have been aware of this.

My two EU Dylan are perfectly fine, it seems to be the US pressings that suffered the most.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Oh really ? Now I’ll never get the ones I didn’t buy at the time.

6. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

There's a good page for the Deag series' on Discogs, so keep an eye there for missing ones you want..

7. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

You were right @culabula. I sent them an email on June 13th, they just replied that they are sorry for the inconvenience I reported, they apologise and assure me that they will send me a new item free of charge. A great service

OneStepBeyond and culabula like this.
  8. Paul-B

Paul-B Member

Jazz collection back issues is still available but due to website shop having an error no back issues can be ordered on-line of any de-agostini products

Those with an existing subscription are not affected as outstanding releases customer still has yet to receive will still be sent as usual 2 issues per month

The Shop is currently offline.
    We'll get back soon.
    You can still place an order by calling our customer service team on 0333 300 1517

DeAgostini Shop UK

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  9. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Out shopping locally (UK) a few weeks ago and a record stall holder at the street market had multiple sealed copies of some of the D’Agostini LPs - Help!, Pepper, MMT, Abbey Road and Let It Be at £10 each and the White Album at £15. He told me he’d sourced them from a fellow trader who bought ‘thousands’ of D’Agostini excess stock copies very cheap. Didn’t buy as had all of them already except Help!

10. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I was going through my discogs entries, sorting out each of the "core" Beatles albums/LP's, and found I don't own "Magical Mystery Tour"!

I do have the double ep set, have a vague idea I might have the cd version.

I dunno, I'll live..

Then again, if I see the Deagostini version for a tenner, I might..

11. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

Even though I also have the CD ('87) and original stereo copy of the EP in very nice condition, I'd not like to be without MMT on LP with its full-size booklet. Whether part of this set or not. :)

Beatlened likes this.
  12. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Yes saw that a few days ago but last week the Jazz website was unavailable completely. Good luck to anyone trying to order by phone!! (They are a nightmare trying to communicate with).

13. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I was looking for something else, and I found the MMT CD, it looks like a duff chinese copy I picked up from I know not where, so in a way it doesn't really count.

I do remember putting it on one time, and the thing is, the music is so familiar to me that it was over before I even registered it was on.

Whereas my "definitive" copy of Rubber Soul, I played the other day and it was fine stuff. (Mono orig, ex+ cond)

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  14. OneStepBeyond

I have a 'boot' of MMT along with the other copies... green vinyl LP which I got for the ex. It is blindingly obvious now, looking at it but at the time, she was asking me to look for anything on coloured vinyl for her and it wouldn't have mattered to her anyway. In the end it didn't because she wasn't interested in taking her records with her! It plays surprisingly good (no doubt off the '09 CD) but I'd be happier with it were it mono...

My now go-to Rubber Soul, I only picked up a couple of months ago (and I was saying I'm not collecting anymore..) It's the -1/-1 matrices 'loud cut.' Side one is especially clean and almost silent between most tracks - beautiful copy I couldn't pass up for £20. I know it's not to everybody's taste but it has the added 'oomph' that I've felt the album could do with for some time - as I play bass and like to hear it come across loud and clear on records, it's right up my street! For the original stereo mix which I do occasional need to hear, I have the 1971 (same cut as original stereos) and even a 1983 US 'rainbow' Capitol which I also love, for a bit of variety. Plus the '87 CD. It is one of my all-time favourite albums. Is that obvious? :D

wwright and Gavaxeman like this.
  15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Oh, I did have the loud cut, but I tried a side-by-side with the other one, and couldn't see any difference. So I sold it on for a decent sum (forget how much), and kept the one I felt was satisfactory for my purposes.

(of course, my "Revolver" is *that* one. :) )

wwright and OneStepBeyond like this.
  16. OneStepBeyond

Maybe it was just tailored for my lo-fi system... :D I used to have a later cut and played it on a friend's very nice setup... over a decade ago but that didn't floor me like I hoped. In threads here, I have read some hate the 'loud cut' some, much prefer it and others as you say, couldn't hear a difference. I have a lovely mono LP copy of Revolver - first 'officially available' press you could say... and I saw the one with TNK mono remix 11 that was deleted before issue, on the wall of a local record shop and it was going for £250 IIRC; condition was described as Very Good. And the owner would usually under grade stuff. Even at my height of collecting, I couldn't justify that. But the thought did cross my mind!

wwright likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.