De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

I'm not very good with stuff like this, and there isn't the usual set of numbers and letters in the deadwax (?) but the info I can see is as follows:

Sgt Pepper: MPO SGTP A2 (well spaced out) and MPO SGTP B3 (all look hand-etched)

Abbey Road MPO ABBEY ROAD A and MPO ABBEY ROAD B (in the same style)

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  2. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

I guess they're looking to avoid duplication of titles, which is why there's also no Let It Be Naked.

It is a strange one. There can't be many people like me who have no Beatles on vinyl (apart from an original White Album and MMT double EP) but are enough of a fan to want a full set (in the knowledge/belief that the duplicates are worth having for the sake of relative completeness and because many of them are from different sources/masterings).

Mr. Explorer and OneStepBeyond like this.
  3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

MPO? Then these must be specially pressed.

MPO seems to fall into two camps. For high-profile releases such as these, the vinyl will sound terrific and look fantastic. For less well-known titles it can often look not unlike dung yet equally sound terrific.

Recent examples "Pure Dylan" and "Mbongwana Star".

4. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

It does say "specially pressed for this collection" in the big poster that came with the first issue, come to think of it.

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Oh - good info !

And no sign of these in the shops ?

6. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, having filled in the 'gap' with Past Masters....

7. OneStepBeyond

Thank you, AMD - I've found this thread on the plant:

MPO - The Forgotten Pressing Plant ? »

8. OneStepBeyond

I've not gone searching but in newsagent's windows near me that always display music mags and 'collectible' partworks like this, I've seen nothing. The website still says nothing on it either. One thing has struck me... how are people supposed to know about this, unless you happen to be browsing their website or it comes up in Google searches? With @AMD1512 having subbed, how did you discover this?

If they put the first few or so in shops, I'd have been very tempted to grab at least Pepper as I don't have it in stereo on LP (got the 2014 and a worn 1st press mono LPs and the '87 CD.) I don't have Abbey Road on LP either and have been thinking maybe I should as some point. IMHO I think they should have put SPLHCB in newsagents etc for £9.99 - or even the £4.99 that they sold their initial issue of the Jazz on 33 set for. I would then naturally buy two copies. :D But for £9.99, I'd not have to give it a second's thought. Wouldn't they find any more customers, by having these on the shelves?? I'm not ranting, just saying...

johnnybrum likes this.
  9. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

I agree. I had to triple-check it wasn't a scam given the lack of publicity. Would have expected TV advertising for something like this, and prominent displays in shops. I only chanced upon it when I was Googling for a decent deal on the mono box set.

10. OneStepBeyond

If I remember right, I think I was just curious about what had been released to date in the Jazz On 33 series. I was thinking there was something odd about it as well; this was about a month ago and was almost shocked not to find a thread about the new Beatles collection on SH.TV! :laugh: It came up in a results listing and I also thought that the webpage hadn't been finished, with the first one at full price (I won't go there again) and them omitting that it's available in newsagents... (*ahem*). Of course, I didn't think of TV advertising because I only watch DVDs at home - they have it on at work but only tend to catch glimpses most of the time.

AMD1512 likes this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Anybody wish to comment on the quality of these, that owns one ?

12. shygurudave

shygurudave Forum Resident

They are very good- nice flat quiet vinyl pressed by MPO. They are identical to the 2012 releases except of course there is no mention of EMI, rather Universal Music and Calderstones Productions. There is a very small "De Agostini" text on the album sleeves, which are glossy and sturdy, and a booklet about each album. Unfortunately, it seems the series has been discontinued. I got Pepper, Abbey Rd, Help and The White Album and a note in the White Album states the series has been suspended for the foreseeable future. There is no explanation but an offer of a free fifth issue when (if) the series resumes. Instant rarities!!!

13. horslips

horslips I'd rather be out on my bike!

Sometimes these part works run a short test run. Do not be surprised to see this get a complete re-launch on TV, etc., just after Christmas.

There have been rumours online of a pop series similar to the jazz collection. Wonder if there is any news on this.

Notice that the jazz collection is still available on the shelves in Eason stores in Dublin. Suggests this series has a fair level of success.

14. OneStepBeyond

I sort of suspected that this could happen - not with De Agostini (but Orbis) there was The Blues Collection that got relaunched (I couldn't say how many were originally put out) and the re/issues didn't run exactly in the same order, which confused me as I only bought about the first 5 from the newsagents when it first came out. I did wonder why I was seeing some again but with different numbers...

15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Ah RATS.

Was just about to cancel my jazz subscription and subscribe to these instead.

16. shygurudave

"Dear Reader. Thank you for collecting The Beatles Vinyl Collection. Unfortunately we have had to suspend publication of the series for the foreseeable future. However, we would like to be able to advise you when the series resumes. Please fill in your details below and post this card back to us. We apologise for the inconvenience this may cause.
    If you have any comments or queries, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Services Department" etc.
    And further on a line which reads: "Yes, I would like to receive a free issue 5 when the series resumes" and then space for your details.
    Who knows what happened, but like others have said- it is strange how quietly these slipped out only to disappear again after four issues. At least I got a t- shirt!!
    I also just noticed De Agostini is mentioned in the rim text but you'd need a microscope to read it properly.

17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'd hold out for the "Stereo AAA" LPs. They are already released in AAA on the Red & Blue LPs, so it's only a matter of time...

Billy Budapest and shygurudave like this.
  18. shygurudave

All mention of The Beatles has disappeared from the De Agostini website...there used to be a subscription page and all kinds of enticing hyperbole.

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The link in the first post still works.

The Beatles Vinyl Collection »

Simon A likes this.
  20. shygurudave

Strange....if you go to their homepage there is nothing. Anyway, I hope it does start again eventually.

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Well, I just subscribed...let's see what they say.

shygurudave likes this.
  22. shygurudave

It's all a bit of a mess isn't it? I hope they send at least the first four issues out to you! I was really looking forward to the storage boxes. We shall see :)

23. Roddy

Roddy Active Member

That's a shame - just subscribed last week and see from my account page that they posted the first two on the 16th.

Oh well, at least the 4 they have released are LPs I don't already have.

But yeah, as mentioned the whole thing has been rather bizarre - quietly launched and quietly dropped. For such quality products, they could really do with better marketing.

Mr. Explorer and shygurudave like this.
  24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I successfully subscribed the other day and received follow-up emails. They say I'll have the first two in 14 days (10 now). We'll see what happens, but sure if I get a free LP out of it, happy days.

shygurudave likes this.
  25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

15 days after subscribing and no sign of these despite an acceptance, follow-up account number and instructions. Either they really like to go to the wire or they're so disorganised they just take my order but don't deliver (or charge).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.