Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. trd

trd Forum Resident

Stan Franks! Forgot about him

He was announced as the lead guitar for The Other Ones but he was out by their first show. He played in Phil’s band on 4/20 and that first warfield show was June 4. Does anyone remember what happened? Somewhere back in the cobwebs I vaguely remember reading about it

2. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Folsom Field July 5th

Well I married me a wife - she’s been trouble all my life - rain and snooooow….
    Instant manifestation!

ianuaditis, adamos, mmthmj and 3 others like this.
  3. Talpa

Talpa ourmaninthesouth

7/2 first Dead show. 1st set was hot & mellow. mayer seemed to fit in ok, prs/dumble rig - had various torn srv tees on. we went inside during break.

broke my leg in the vip bar. didn't even get to shakedown =|

Doggiedogma likes this.
  4. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Having read Joel Selvin's book only about a year ago you'd think I would remember better... AFAIR, he did fine in rehearsals, but couldn't really cut it live.

trd likes this.
  5. trd

trd Forum Resident

That’s right! I’ve got that somewhere, I knew I had read it somewhere but had completely forgotten about Selvin’s book. Make of that what you will...

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I apparently saw him at that February ‘98 show but know nothing about him otherwise, unfortunately.

US Blues likes this.
  7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

What the hail?

mmthmj likes this.
  8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Tall guy, glasses, looks a bit dorky ... red/white/blue wristbands ...

Crispy Rob, Mad Dog and US Blues like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think you have him mixed up with some other dude who can’t sing.

US Blues, RayS and JuanTCB like this.
  10. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

That totally captures the intensity of the storm. I was down on the field, in shorts and a t-shirt.

The weather forecast for the day kept pushing the possible thunderstorms to later and later. By the time we left for the show, it looked like they might be at 11pm to midnight, or later, so, my brother took the lightweight poncho and I figured I’d buy one on shakedown or a merch booth. Due to a ticket snafu, I never had a chance to buy one, nor did I expect I needed one. Like everyone else, I got soaked. I had to wring out the t-shirt I was wearing in the bathroom up top. Of course, it rained a little more after they eventually restarted the show.

Fortunately, I dumbly grabbed a plastic bag earlier when I bought a poster in a tube and my poster survived unscathed. Other people weren’t so lucky. I saw more than a few shredded poster tubes with posters still in them.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

12. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

ya know i had been "this is worth seeing but not gonna spend a lot of time at home listening" with D&Co but I am more and more really in love with this particular band. Listened to the entirety of one of the Denver shows today at the computer and it just....it did it, it had it all. Not even a question of the missing link, just a band with a body of songs to deliver and explore and doing it with great care, love, and joy and adventure. Just like the Grateful Dead....

13. sami

sami Mono still rules

Really well said. That's about the best and most succinct summation of what D&C is about that I've yet seen.

CraigC likes this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

sami, drumzNspace, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

budwhite likes this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

No mystery, people like the music.

sami and Terry like this.
  17. wavethatflag

Mystery to me.

US Blues likes this.
  18. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

sami, wavethatflag and adamos like this.
  19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

But he just explained it to you, wavey.

F**in' magnets--how do they work?!

pablorkcz and wavethatflag like this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Odd. I get it, it’s different from other bands working the same book of songs but to say it’s unlikable is pretty unreasonable. I’ve spent a good bit of time listening to JRAD in the last week. I don’t love how tweeky and poorly they all sing but it’s still enjoyable. I listened to and watched DSO play sunshine daydream 72 last night, also fun but no creativity or surprises, Phil is losing what is left if his voice and rotates an endless roster of amateurs to play with and yes, D&C is working more of a groove and every song doesn’t feel like you just scarfed a fat line of coke. At the end of the day it’s all way more similar than it is different. I really don’t get the hostility, I’m glad there is a variety, options and vibrant interpretation of a genre of music I’m really into.

But just like when the grateful dead were the top grossing band, there were a bunch people saying, “I don’t get it.” It’s just weird coming from a fellow head.

sami likes this.
  21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

D&C isn’t shy about their ticket pricing either, but that’s not unusual these days.

sami, ianuaditis, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  22. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

This is not a knock on anyone in particular, but what's surprising to me is that any version of the Grateful Dead, and especially any version without Jerry Garcia, is the top grossing touring band in 2019. It's been almost 25 years since Garcia died....amazing.

Crispy Rob, US Blues, sami and 6 others like this.
  23. wavethatflag

Dude, the above is an example of how you read into my comments way too much. It's not the first time I've been down this road with you. Hostility? I just don't get how they're doing so well when I'm not 100 percent psyched with the presentation, And that's my opinion. OK? Jeez.

US Blues, highway and budwhite like this.
  24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

My bad, not hostile at all.

The Repetition and frequency of a negative review of a band on a thread about that band isn’t how I choose to post on this forum. More power to you but don’t get bent when people respond to it.

sami likes this.
  25. wavethatflag

You may want to watch the negativity here. I think you're supposed to say that listening to Dead & Co. is like doing "a fat line of coke" in order to avoid problems in this thread. Or something.

I said, "This is kind of a mystery to me as to why, but it makes sense to me based on how packed Camden was," and this was problematic. So I guess I need to Zapruder that sentence to figure out where I went so horribly, horribly wrong.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.