Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

My “I was there” was for Friday night’s GD stream. I’ve only been to one D&C show - I’ve mostly been on the couch tour for them.

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

This is the slowest "Sugar Magnolia" I've ever heard.

3. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I thought the entire third set seemed a bit perfunctory. They seemed maybe a little tired by that point.

JuanTCB and LandHorses like this.
  4. sami

sami Mono still rules

Franklins, Estimated, Eyes, and Milestones were the highlights, but a really good show overall.

5. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

Revisiting some of the 2018 shows I went to..

6/9 Raleigh (This Bird Song is really beautiful)
    6/13 Hartford
    6/15 and 6/16 Citi Field (6/16 was INCREDIBLE live.)

And Lockn with Branford.

It was a good summer.

Bringing back good memories when the live music was plentiful and looking back 2018 was a great year for them. They really came into their own.

I haven't listened to any 2019 shows..did they get even better? Im gonna have to jump on the next livestream I guess.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

The two I went to last year were both pretty great - Citi Field (the night Mayer played Wolf) and MSG on Halloween (the Hunter tribute evening). Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I'd done a couch tour for the rest of '18 and '19 just to have better perspective (as well as a party in my living room a couple dozen times). I was definitely looking forward to doing that this coming summer!

I wonder if scheduling, age, and wherever we're at with the pandemic would allow for a Playin' In The Sand in '21? Holding out hope...

adamos, sami and timriepe like this.
  7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That area of Mexico is trying to open up for tourists soon, but that seems like a long shot. Sadly, I fully expect next winter's flu season to be a nightmare. Travel may be pretty risky then.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  8. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I went to Raleigh (the Bird Song > Bertha > Bird Song was a definite highlight) and the two Hampton shows in the Fall of last year. I had more fun at the Hampton shows and the band was really on both nights.

adamos and timriepe like this.
  9. Old Fart At Play

2019 was a great D&C year for me. In light of the way 2020 turned out, I'm really glad that was the case. I went to both Hollywood Bowl shows, and was a bit disappointed that I was (thinking at the time) I was only going to get to see them twice that year, after seeing them three times in 2018 and five in 2017. My memories of the first night are that "Bird Song" was very unique, kind of modal-jazzy, and the encore of a somewhat abbreviated "Terrapin" was very unexpected. "High Time" was really nice, too. The second night was mostly notable for starting with a local high school for the performing arts jazz ensemble playing "A Love Supreme." D&C gradually joined them onstage and began playing along, until the whole thing >'d into "Shakedown Street." (I think the jazz ensemble departed in the middle of "Shakedown"). I don't think "A Love Supreme" made it onto the nugs stream, so a lot of people who were couch touring didn't realize the high school kids started off the show on their own without D&C being onstage. Pretty unique, and slightly confusing in the audience at first!

I later decided to fly out to go to night one at Boulder, the rain show, which was great. Then they announced the Fun Run, so I saw both nights at the LA Forum in December, and then went up to San Francisco for the second night/NYE show. Skipped the first night, which means that after 17 shows now I still have yet to hear "The Eleven."

Oh, and I also saw Wolf Bros in Ventura in Sept! Don't love them, but I got to be on the rail, which made it much more enjoyable.

Six D&C shows in one year will most likely end up being my peak. I was planning on going to both Boulder shows this year, since they were going to be the only West Coast dates. And now... Well, maybe a break will be good.

Dennis0675 and adamos like this.
  10. sami

sami Mono still rules

I went to my one and only show at Camden in June, and we had a blast. A weak end to the first set (I'm not a Sailor>Saint fan), but a great second set, and the vibe on the lawn was fantastic. We were set to spend a few days up in Saratoga around the 8/3 show this summer, and both really bummed it's not happening. Making up for it doing the Saturday couch tour the last several weeks.

Dennis0675 and adamos like this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

sami likes this.
  12. RayS

Tonight's Weir Wednesday goes into the Way Back Machine to move away from the Wolf Brothers era for the first time.

I watched this many years ago. In fact, a bootleg version of it is still up on YouTube. But this one should be a touch better quality and hey, it's "live". :)

[​IMG]

Dennis0675, sami and US Blues like this.
  13. RayS

So far this week’s Weir Wednesday has been 32 minutes of technical difficulties and error messages. :-(

14. RayS

Tonight’s Weir Wednesday was aborted after numerous tries. I bailed out and see that the video has now been removed from YouTube entirely. Not good form. There’s still the fuzzy and truncated bootleg version.

15. LandHorses

Even though tonight was a fail, I hope this means Weir Wednesdays might keep going earlier than the Wolf Bros and maybe show some Campfire Band shows.

This one is still up on YouTube............

Great night. I was there and still have the blue plastic cowboy hat.

Would be great if there was an old Go Ahead show somewhere.

RayS and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

17. Old Fart At Play

It's bad enough that they don't give Oteil and Jeff equal billing, but they don't even feed them? ;-)

jeffsab, adamos, Coltrane811 and 5 others like this.
  18. RayS

No wonder the damned set breaks take so long!

budwhite, adamos, sami and 1 other person like this.
  19. sami

sami Mono still rules

Ha! My first thought, along with Oteil and Jeff going hungry.

RayS likes this.
  20. LandHorses

.........and no brown M&M’s!!!!!!

fishcane and sami like this.
  21. sami

sami Mono still rules

I heard Bobby is adamant about blue ones only.

22. LandHorses

I’m sure Brent wasn’t on the GD’s food rider until maybe 1988.......and Vince probably never was.

23. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Page 2 status.

24. Old Fart At Play

Oteil and Jeff get the M&Ms.

sami likes this.
  25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

The event page for the upcoming OMSN - which has now become the highlight of my week, strangely - lists the venue as "New York, NY". Night 2 at Citi in '18 or MSG this past Halloween would be sweet! I'm betting it's the latter.

Dennis0675 and sami like this.