Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Floriduh

2. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I didn't want to say that but I have a feeling you may be right. Honestly I wouldn't want to do business in FL right now but I live here so no choice.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Hah, yeah, @Leviathan put it a little more bluntly but, yep, the same thing I was thinking.

ODShowtime likes this.
  4. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Don’t think it’s a coincidence that the only 2 shows that got cancelled are in the state that has a law against requiring proof of vaccine.

trd, WaterLemon, Dennis0675 and 2 others like this.
  5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Texas shows will be canceled next.

Dennis0675 and US Blues like this.
  6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Yeah I have the day off to drive down to the Houston show but I lost my travel companion already and half expect that cancellation is coming.

7. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I think it's the right thing to do, but it really sucks for people with tickets (and plane and hotel reservations). Although those shows seemed like a bit of a crapshoot since day one. I wouldn't want to be holding onto a TX ticket right now. :cry:

GuidedByJonO))) and ODShowtime like this.
  8. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

except that maroon 5 just played same place and required proof or neg test

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I wasn't aware of that. I saw the Black Crowes at this venue earlier in the month and they didn't require any proof.

So what is the reason for the cancellation then? They haven't played a show since 9/18 and they have 3 days off between the last FL show and the next one in NC. It's not like they are transporting the wall of sound.

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Nah, it’s BS. Canceling shows for political reasons when it’s two weeks out isn’t cool. The only people that are getting ****ed are the fans and business partners. It makes no difference to any elected officials or those that vote them into office.

but….it’s all speculation. We don’t know what the logistic issue is. It could very easily be a positive covid test with a band member.

budwhite, bzfgt and wrat like this.
  11. GuidedByJonO)))

For what it's worth, there is some speculation on reddit that it might be due to the local unions and crews being unwilling to provide proof of vaccination. As locked down as the band/crew has been on the tour, that could be enough for them to decide its not worth the risk if the local stage crew refused to provide proof.

MrTrickle, wrat, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Texas doesn't have a ban on showing proof of vaccination to get into venues. Vaccine requirements are left to the discretion of the individual venues.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  13. GuidedByJonO)))

I hate that we are in a point in this pandemic where cancelling out of safety concerns = "politics". I mean, given that half the band is septuagenarians, I don't fault them in the least for taking an ongoing pandemic very seriously and not willing to play ball with locals folks who aren't going to do the same.

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Now that I would believe. Labor unions are really getting dug in on the issue. For an industry that was shuttered for 18 months I’d think they’d be nervous about losing big jobs.

15. GuidedByJonO)))

Again, maybe pure speculation, but this was also noted on reddit:

The company that is insuring the tour requires certain protocols to be in place. One of them is that the GA Pit attendees MUST be fully vaccinated.

Gov Desantis put a law in to effect that any business that requires a vaccination to enter receives a $5000 fine, per instance.

If Dead & Company wanted to remove the vaccination requirement for GA Pit, the Insurance company would pull the policy.

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Sure but isn’t their contact largely limited to their crew? The labor union would have to be hospitality and security, not a lot of face to face time with the band or the crew with those workers.

17. GuidedByJonO)))

I feel absolutely terrible for anyone who had tickets for these shows, it sucks that the fans are getting robbed of a show. But the blame here is decidedly not on the band. Hope they reschedule in a nearby state and give ticket holders for these shows first shot.

18. Old Fart At Play

From what I've heard, Dead & Co. have been very strict about backstage Covid protocols. Which is good.
    Prices for the Atlanta show may have just jumped on StubHub.

19. Old Fart At Play

I guess DeSantis can finally take credit for lowering the amount of dead in his state!

(Thanks, I'll be here all week.)

gdpeck, malfano, jeffsab and 5 others like this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

It’s certainly not a good situation for the band. As I understand it the ticket companies rewrote their contracts after taking huge losses from canceled concerts in 2020. The financial Liability has been transferred to the performers and they stand to take a huge hit for a canceled show. Perhaps there is insurance but I can’t imagine an insurance company that would bet on live concerts in a pandemic. Whatever the logistic issue are, they would have to be very expensive to be more than they lose from canceling.

I would just hope for some clarity and explanation in very specific language. If it is the result of the governors executive order, that needs to be brought to the light. Same thing with labor issues. If there is no further information than what has been given I have to assume it is something the band wants to keep quite. Rehab, Covid etc……

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    budwhite and Frozensoda like this.
  21. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Heyo

Old Fart At Play likes this.
  22. Old Fart At Play

I'd wondered if their insurance policy prevents them from canceling for reasons such as a governor's stupid orders increasing the risk of transmission, hence the "routing and production logistics" reason. If the band wanted to make a political statement, they would have already done so. I doubt we'll ever get more of an official reason.

23. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

this is more than likely it and they should have known this going in very crappy on the bands part

24. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Bottom line is a lot has changed in Florida since these tickets went on sale.

I really thought we getting back to normal but we didn't. I haven't gone anywhere except the record store, liquor store, and the dealer in the last few months. I was planning to chill in the very back corner for this show.

Frozensoda, Freebird and US Blues like this.
  25. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I think it would be a great idea to require proof of vaccination at every show in every state... :righton: